Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RX 400h: Lexus unsung Hybrid Hero?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-07, 08:40 PM
LexFather

Lightbulb RX 400h: Lexus unsung Hybrid Hero?

So I'm looking at Novembers sales figures and the RX 400h sold 1674 units. I would say between 1300-1600 is about average for the RX since its inception.
So for comparison's sake last month.

X3 1,975
X5 3,206
XC90 2,246
M-CLASS 3,015
QX56 1,062
FX 1,821
GX 470 1,847
MDX 4891
RDX 1679
Q7 1538

Lexus has to be pleased with the continued warm reception by this hybrid. Its an older SUV and the HP rating is nothing like the GS 450h. Its sales last month were near some SUVs with multiple models and near the cute-utes.

Overall Lexus sold over 8,000 RXs combined last month

The RX 400h doesn't get much press, its not the top of the line LS 600h L, its not the great sports SUV the press humps but its getting the job done.

Just wanted to talk about it here some in car chat and we can move to the RX forum later.

My old review here...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=1sickreview

Old 12-26-07, 08:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hate the RX, it's complete POS in my opinion. Will take the MDX over it without a second thought.
Old 12-26-07, 09:01 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad was just saying today how he would buy another RX400h if he had to. I like it to. Its fast for an SUV and yet don't have to sacrafice fuel efficieny like you would in a Cayenne.
Old 12-26-07, 11:20 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you're right 1sicklex. It is an unsung hero. I didn't know it sold so well. It only sells in the hundreds here (no surprise since just take the US numbers and divide by 10 and you have the Canadian sales numbers lol.)

It's a good car for what it is but the twisting key bit is getting old. We need the SmartAccess system asap. Also you're using the old "E" diamonds for the regenerative bit on the Consumption Screen right? Instead of the leaf cars. (at least it was on the 2006 model I tested in May 2005).

I hope the RX gets a slightly stiffer suspension. I love it for what it is - a luxury boulevard cruiser but the suspension doesn't inspire confidence should I need to do an emerggency manoeuvre.
Old 12-27-07, 06:37 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer

I hope the RX gets a slightly stiffer suspension. I love it for what it is - a luxury boulevard cruiser but the suspension doesn't inspire confidence should I need to do an emergency maneuver.
Agreed. Hopefully, Lexus will do a ground up re-work of the RX series to address this. Perhaps the new one should ride on the Lexus IS chassis ala the X3 which rides on the 3 series chassis. As a driver with family onboard, control should be key.
Old 12-27-07, 06:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

since the RX350 came out there really isnt a reason financially to select the hybrid over the 350. Since its redesign is inevitable since the new Highlander is out, dont really care about the current one. Of course the MDX is going to kill it a 2007 redesign vs a 2003 redesign
Old 12-27-07, 06:48 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Related Article

Hybrids Downplay Powerful Message
December 27, 2007

BY CHRIS WOODYARD

USA TODAY

Automakers are starting to turn away from the notion of the performance hybrid, the term coined to market gas-electric vehicles based on extra pep instead of fuel thriftiness.

Instead of just emphasizing performance, Toyota's luxury Lexus division plans to hawk its high-end hybrid vehicles as being better for the environment because they pollute less than rival brands.

"That was always supposed to be part of the message, but it just hasn't come through," says Mark Templin, the division's new general manager. "It legitimizes what we have been doing."

Honda has already dropped production of a six-cylinder hybrid version of its performance-oriented Accord sedan. It got poor gas mileage compared with other hybrids, such as Honda's four-cylinder Civic or Toyota's Prius.

General Motors is skipping the performance hybrid tactic in selling its new hybrid Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon SUVs. The campaign will emphasize gas stinginess even though the big vehicles offer slightly better acceleration than non-hybrid versions.

Each of three Lexus hybrids only achieves one or two more miles per gallon than comparable non-hybrid versions. The $104,000 Lexus LS 600h L super-luxury sedan gets 21 m.p.g. in combined city/highway driving, the $41,180 RX 400h SUV achieves 25 m.p.g., and the $54,900 GS 450h sedan merits 23 m.p.g.

They are listed as being cleaner than comparable non-hybrid rivals from other luxury automakers by the Air Resources Board of California, whose regulations are tighter than federal standards and emulated in a few other states.
Old 12-27-07, 07:48 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
since the RX350 came out there really isnt a reason financially to select the hybrid over the 350.
http://www.forbes.com/2007/12/10/car...hisSpeed=15000

The 5 year ownership cost of the RX400h is only $100 more than the RX350. That doesnt include the tax rebate you get for getting the hybrid, since not everyone gets one. That extra $100 seems worth it to me.
Old 12-27-07, 08:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Hate the RX, it's complete POS in my opinion. Will take the MDX over it without a second thought.
while the rx is probably one of my least favorite lexus, i wouldn't pick the mdx over it though. we shopped hard between the mdx/rdx and the rx, but the quality of acura is still blah to us

the number on the rx is quite amazing i have to say! to certain extend i kind of feel that the car is a bit on its own. it doesn't really go against the m class or the x series, but the numbers are incredible. and the hybrid version alone overcoming total sales of some other cars, that's just wow!
Old 12-27-07, 08:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Even the new mdx still feels like a truck when I test drive it.
Old 12-27-07, 09:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've driven the RX350 and RX400h several times for long road trips, and although I'm not a big fan of its handling and styling, it is quite functional for a lot of people (hence the best selling luxury SUV in the market).

Compared to other competitors mentioned above, I understand why it sells so well. It provides good power, a plush ride, adequate room, and near-perfect reliability; and the hybrid adds the as-discussed perks.

HOWEVER, I think the RX needs to watch out for its competitors. And I'm not talking about the MDX/RDX. I'm talking about the Hyundai Veracruz, and even the new Toyota Highlander will take some sales away from the RX.

Hopefully, that all changes when it gets redesigned for '09 (perhaps as a MY'10). We know that it comes in FWD and AWD regular and hybrid versions; but there are rumors of a RWD version (and perhaps a V8) for a more sporty option...
Old 12-27-07, 10:27 AM
LexFather

I really didn't start this to say what it should be or what it ain't or what people "think" is better.

Its really just an observation. Here is a huge risk Lexus took and the gamble has payed off.

I do hope they move the next generation more economy based as Lexus now has the "F" brand.

Old 12-27-07, 10:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I have been reading the Toyota Way book and just got through the chapters describing the development of Lexus and the Prius, which is regarded as Toyota's biggest milestones and innovations. It was absolutely amazing at all the measures they took to make the projects succeed during and after development
Old 12-27-07, 11:09 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i have one!
Old 12-27-07, 11:20 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um...can't wait for the production version of the LF-Xh that's all I'm gonna say!

Quick Reply: RX 400h: Lexus unsung Hybrid Hero?