Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Unlike BMW,will Lexus keep the oil dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 02:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
First the trans and now the oil..I just read on another forum that the new BMWs don't have oil dip sticks.
The oil is checked by the dealer We are talking about an a freaking internal combustion motor here, it loves oil and needs a dip stick..
Another brilliant design from the Chris Bangle cars. What will be next?
Old 12-28-07, 02:30 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see nothing wrong with a lack of dip stick so long as the oil level sensor is designed to be basically fail proof. I guess ideally you'd have both the sensor and the dip stick but the sensor is MUCH more useful for the other 99.9% of the population that has never pulled an oil dip stick on their car before. At least this way they see the readout on the dash and know what's going on as soon as the problem surfaces (like as soon as they pull out of jiffy lube)

As mentioned before, fuel tanks used to have dip sticks - now they don't and nobody has any problems with that and you almost never hear of somebody's fuel gauge outright failing, especially on modern higher end vehicles.

I'm not sure if my BMW has a dip stick or not - I haven't checked. I know our 4runner doesn't have a stick for the transmission fluid since theoretically it's 'lifetime' fluid that's never changed.
Old 12-28-07, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
I see nothing wrong with a lack of dip stick so long as the oil level sensor is designed to be basically fail proof. I guess ideally you'd have both the sensor and the dip stick but the sensor is MUCH more useful for the other 99.9% of the population that has never pulled an oil dip stick on their car before. At least this way they see the readout on the dash and know what's going on as soon as the problem surfaces (like as soon as they pull out of jiffy lube)
I understand your point, Threxx, but still, electronic sensors are a lot more prone to breakdown than a simple, marked strip of metal inside a tube.....although, admittedly, on rare occasions, the dipstick is marked incorrectly or its tube is not attached properly, causing problems.
Old 12-28-07, 02:49 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

next thing you know they are going to remove the fuel gauge and only have a light go off when youre low on fuel. Removing the dipstick is a really really dumb idea, especially if a level sensor fails
Old 12-28-07, 05:02 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
first of all, you can take your smart *** attitude and stick it somewhere, like your north pole.

secondly, you're right, the dealer is under 0 obligation to give new engines under that kind of circumstance, but guess what? it happens.
obviously you don't know much of how high end dealerships operate. unfortunately, rich people who whine and ***** enough get new engines and basically anything else they want. they are not above calling the owner, who goes to the same country club, and talking directly to him.
then guess what happens. we're told to replace the engine under warranty and make up some bs story about how something else failed necessitating the engine replacement. it happens more often than you think, with everything form engines to transmissions, to seat leathers, and almost everything else that some rich POS won't take responsibility for.

is it stupid to not have a dipstick? absolutely. not any more stupid than most high end car owners though....
I can understand how a dealer would warranty seat leather that's borderline on wear...I can't possibly imagine doing a warranty engine replacement due to owner stupidity. If your owner is that nice of a guy, please let us know where you work. I want to do business with this dealer!

Now go unbunch your panties - it's just the internet.
Old 12-28-07, 05:13 PM
Arvin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
First the trans and now the oil..I just read on another forum that the new BMWs don't have oil dip sticks.
The oil is checked by the dealer We are talking about an a freaking internal combustion motor here, it loves oil and needs a dip stick..
LOL I am pretty sure you can check the oil level in the on board computer in a new BMW. If someone need to go to a dealer every time for checking oil level he/she will be going insane.
My Porsche doesn't have a dip stick either. I use the on board computer to check oil level everyday. The computer is not as accurate as the dip stick but it can also get the job done. Plus it won't make my hands dirty.
Old 12-28-07, 05:22 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think about it, since BMW has all maintenance included, I guess there would really be no need to check your own oil. This is bad however for all the DIY'ers out there. I would think that a good majority of BMW owners probably wouldn't be checking their own oil anyway.
Old 12-28-07, 05:30 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Threxx
As mentioned before, fuel tanks used to have dip sticks - now they don't and nobody has any problems with that and you almost never hear of somebody's fuel gauge outright failing, especially on modern higher end vehicles.
Here's the problem though-

If your fuel tank sensor is bad, you'll end up stuck on the side of the road. It may cost you $50 for a tow to the next station and you're good to go.

If your oil sensor goes bad, you're now out several thousand dollars for a new engine, another $80 for a tow to the local garage or dealer, and having to find something to drive while you car is being repaired.

Some things make sense doing away with, others don't. I say if BMW is going to do this, go ahead, but they had better be really confident in their oil sensors.
Old 12-28-07, 05:32 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ecr527
If you think about it, since BMW has all maintenance included, I guess there would really be no need to check your own oil. This is bad however for all the DIY'ers out there. I would think that a good majority of BMW owners probably wouldn't be checking their own oil anyway.
Yeah, this is fine for the next few years, when only rich(er) people own these cars and don't care to touch anything.

Fast forward to 10, maybe 15 years from now, more and more used-BMW owners are going to be doing their own work on them, and not having a dipstick means they'll have to measure out exact amounts of oil before filling, and trusting over a decade-old sensors to keep everything in check.
Old 12-28-07, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 19psi
first of all, you can take your smart *** attitude and stick it somewhere, like your north pole.

Now go unbunch your panties - it's just the internet.

15951 and 19psi.....please, let's not do rude remarks. This is an interesting thread and I don't want to see it shut down......all of us can agree or disagree with each other civilly.
Old 12-28-07, 06:20 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
15951 and 19psi.....please, let's not do rude remarks. This is an interesting thread and I don't want to see it shut down......all of us can agree or disagree with each other civilly.
I started it, he was just reacting. Sorry about the discourse on an otherwise good thread.
Old 12-28-07, 06:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 15951
I started it, he was just reacting. Sorry about the discourse on an otherwise good thread.
Thank You .
Old 12-28-07, 06:46 PM
LexFather

Guys, watch your tone in this thread.

Old 12-28-07, 06:48 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by splitfire
the only bad things is the car has to completly warm up(mean that it need to drive at least couple miles) before you can check the oil level....
Well you're supposed to check the oil after the engine has ran anyway.
Old 12-28-07, 08:39 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pfantom68
Yeah, this is fine for the next few years, when only rich(er) people own these cars and don't care to touch anything.

Fast forward to 10, maybe 15 years from now, more and more used-BMW owners are going to be doing their own work on them, and not having a dipstick means they'll have to measure out exact amounts of oil before filling, and trusting over a decade-old sensors to keep everything in check.

This is no problem at all. Like you said, in the beginning only the rich people will be buying these cars and taking it to the dealer. Once on the used car market that doesn't mean poor people or a better term might be those that can't afford to maintain a luxury car should be buying them just because they are cheaper. Bottom line is if you can't afford to maintain the car you can't afford it. If you can't afford to replace a 10 year old oil sensor if it happens to fail you shouldn't be driving a used luxury car. Nothing wrong with doing your own maintenance, but that means if senors fail, be it the oil sensor, fuel sensor, O2 sensor, TPS sensor Cam sensor, or whatever fails, all that means if you need to replace it.

All car manufacturers are making it harder for the DIY to work on their own car. BMW is not the only one. Ever try and change the rear bank spark plugs on a Toyota/Lexus V6? Not as easy as it used to be.

Quick Reply: Unlike BMW,will Lexus keep the oil dipstick?