Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Unlike BMW,will Lexus keep the oil dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 08:42 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pfantom68
Here's the problem though-

If your fuel tank sensor is bad, you'll end up stuck on the side of the road. It may cost you $50 for a tow to the next station and you're good to go.

If your oil sensor goes bad, you're now out several thousand dollars for a new engine, another $80 for a tow to the local garage or dealer, and having to find something to drive while you car is being repaired.

Some things make sense doing away with, others don't. I say if BMW is going to do this, go ahead, but they had better be really confident in their oil sensors.
I can't be 100% sure because my BMW still has a dip stick, but I believe if the sensor goes out it throws a warning light like all the other sensors, so you just have to replace it. But if it doesn't then I can see how one could be worried in the long run.
Old 12-28-07, 09:33 PM
JHall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by splitfire
Porsche doesn't have dip stick either.. its been like that since the 996.. i check my oil level using the on board computer.. it is good because it tells you exectly how much oil you need to put in if the oil is low... the only bad things is the car has to completly warm up(mean that it need to drive at least couple miles) before you can check the oil level....
That's OK because Porsche gets a pass on this board. BMW and Infiniti don't
Old 12-29-07, 05:12 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dipstick should remain as an alternate if the internal sensor that monitors the oil level should fail whether it be from age or being faulty from the beginning.
Old 12-29-07, 05:55 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

to those posters who remark on the similarity to the loss of the dipstick to the switch from gas-sticks to gas gauges id like to give one fact.

1. If the gas sensor fails and you run out of gas, you can refill it and be on your way. if the oil sensor fails and you run out of OIL, you engine seizes up and you just lost between $1300 and $15000 (or more).
Old 12-29-07, 06:13 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
to those posters who remark on the similarity to the loss of the dipstick to the switch from gas-sticks to gas gauges id like to give one fact.

1. If the gas sensor fails and you run out of gas, you can refill it and be on your way. if the oil sensor fails and you run out of OIL, you engine seizes up and you just lost between $1300 and $15000 (or more).
Good point.

While I appreciate the in cabin oil level display, I cannot figure out why BMW thought getting rid of the dipstick was a good idea. What does it cost? $2 more to put one in a engine?

Not putting in a dipstick is like welding the engine parts together instead of using bolts.
Old 12-29-07, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

Good point.

While I appreciate the in cabin oil level display, I cannot figure out why BMW thought getting rid of the dipstick was a good idea. What does it cost? $2 more to put one in a engine

Not putting in a dipstick is like welding the engine parts together instead of using bolt.?
I agree it is a good point, but if you suddenly run out of gas in the wrong spot, like in the middle of a busy intersection, you could lose a lot more on the car than just the engine.....yourself as well.....if you can't get it out of traffic in time.
Old 12-29-07, 06:53 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

i love it when people that never designed a car think they know better than car designers. there should have been a poll to see who even owns a bmw without a dipstick. how can one comment on something that they never used?

-King Bimmer
Old 12-29-07, 07:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KINGLEX
i love it when people that never designed a car think they know better than car designers.
-King Bimmer
In some cases (more than you think) they DO know more than car designers.

There are a number of people right here on CAR CHAT (I won't mention names) that show far more sense in their daily posts than some of the big-buck, highly paid people at the auto firms designing new vehicles.

That is why companies like GM and Chrysler got into such trouble with poor-quality designs, and why Toyota, to a lesser extent, is also in trouble with dropping quality despite its huge sales growth.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-07 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-29-07, 07:33 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KINGLEX
i love it when people that never designed a car think they know better than car designers. there should have been a poll to see who even owns a bmw without a dipstick. how can one comment on something that they never used?

-King Bimmer
You can easily check BMW boards and find info about the dipstick issues.

Countless posts of folks having low oil indicator in iDrive, so they add a quart of oil.

Unfortunately they did not realize the indicator will not show proper oil level after adding a quart for several hours or days. So they add another quart and now the car has too much oil.

A trip to the dealer to have the oil drained and refilled.

Imagine adding a quart of oil and having to wait a couple days to see if it needs more.

I am not a car engineer but this is common sense. I believe BMW's motive long term is to force buyers to go to the dealer for repairs. No one but BMW can fix iDrive now, or 10 years from now when the oil level sensor or software needs to be updated.
Old 12-29-07, 08:51 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by splitfire
Porsche doesn't have dip stick either.. its been like that since the 996.. i check my oil level using the on board computer.. it is good because it tells you exectly how much oil you need to put in if the oil is low... the only bad things is the car has to completly warm up(mean that it need to drive at least couple miles) before you can check the oil level....
Your car should be warmed up whenever checking oil levels regardless. Kinda like when you're supposed to check the tires when they're cold.

Originally Posted by pfantom68
Here's the problem though-

If your fuel tank sensor is bad, you'll end up stuck on the side of the road. It may cost you $50 for a tow to the next station and you're good to go.

If your oil sensor goes bad, you're now out several thousand dollars for a new engine, another $80 for a tow to the local garage or dealer, and having to find something to drive while you car is being repaired.

Some things make sense doing away with, others don't. I say if BMW is going to do this, go ahead, but they had better be really confident in their oil sensors.
Well running out of gas can be bad on your car too.
Old 12-29-07, 10:25 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Lack of a dipstick is not gonna stop me from buying a car, I have a dipstick so I check the oil maybe once every oil change but I have changed the oil in my cars and never even bothered to look at the dipstick My new 300c has a tire sensors that tells me the exact tire pressure in all 4 tires thats *****in, I will never use a tire pressure gauge again, so bring on the onboard dash monitors that you can flip through to view to the status of everything on the car, technology is about moving forward
Old 12-29-07, 10:44 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by sdbrandon

Countless posts of folks having low oil indicator in iDrive, so they add a quart of oil.

Unfortunately they did not realize the indicator will not show proper oil level after adding a quart for several hours or days. So they add another quart and now the car has too much oil.

A trip to the dealer to have the oil drained and refilled.

Imagine adding a quart of oil and having to wait a couple days to see if it needs more.

I am not a car engineer but this is common sense. I believe BMW's motive long term is to force buyers to go to the dealer for repairs. No one but BMW can fix iDrive now, or 10 years from now when the oil level sensor or software needs to be updated.

Please explain why someone would add a quart of oil on his own dime when the cars that do not have a dipstick are still under warranty and apart of bmw's ultimate service?

Last edited by KINGLEX; 12-29-07 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-29-07, 10:48 AM
LexFather

What we are slowly experiencing (and fast in some cases) is the effect of computers on cars. BMW has figured it knows best and will tell you when the car needs an oil change. Car makers WANT you to get service at a dealer, why would they want you to DIY or go elsewhere? More money for them and their dealers. Of course, they will say "its whats best for the car", which maybe true, but there are those that like to DIY....

Its just a matter of time cars tell us when to turn, where to go and where to park!

Old 12-29-07, 10:57 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
just searched bimmerfest and can't see what u r talking about. Please point me to these threads.

-King Bimmer
Old 12-29-07, 01:45 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

guys.. bmw oil changes are "free" included in the price of the car for the duration of the 4 year warranty. and so are fluid changes, shocks, struts, wipers, brakes... etc....

frankly, i think bim has a good thing going here. i can actually lease a 3 series for 350 a month or a 5 for 450 a month and that's all i will be paying for other than gas, tickets, and insurance.

Quick Reply: Unlike BMW,will Lexus keep the oil dipstick?