Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Unlike BMW,will Lexus keep the oil dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 05:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Unlike BMW,will Lexus keep the oil dipstick?

First the trans and now the oil..I just read on another forum that the new BMWs don't have oil dip sticks.
The oil is checked by the dealer We are talking about an a freaking internal combustion motor here, it loves oil and needs a dip stick..
Old 12-28-07, 05:25 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just one more way for them to make you come in for service.
Old 12-28-07, 05:27 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they don't want stupid people putting the wrong fluids in and then having to replace and engine under warranty. i see it all hte time, people have no idea what goes where....
Old 12-28-07, 05:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ecr527
It's just one more way for them to make you come in for service.
Check my oil...ok,that will be $100 please.
Old 12-28-07, 05:42 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
they don't want stupid people putting the wrong fluids in and then having to replace and engine under warranty. i see it all hte time, people have no idea what goes where....
BS. If someone is dumb enough to put coolant where the oil goes, the dealer is under zero obligation give them a new engine. Where do you work, the north pole?
Old 12-28-07, 05:43 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as the oil light stays off there is no way to check the oil level other than to drain it and refill it with a known quantity. It seems dumb, but I think many BMW owner's are only buying the car for its status, so maybe BMW knows what it is doing.
Old 12-28-07, 05:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 15951
BS. If someone is dumb enough to put coolant where the oil goes, the dealer is under zero obligation give them a new engine. Where do you work, the north pole?
I have to agree.Vehicles have had dipsticks for 100 years.
First the trans check stick goes and now the oil dip stick.I agree with ecr527,it's for more dealer service $$$.
Old 12-28-07, 05:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I now read the system tells you when the oil is low.
Not bad!
With 15K change intervals...it better!
Old 12-28-07, 07:38 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been browsing the BMW forums when they first came out. This is the MAIN reason why I did not want to get a BMW. Because I'm a huge DIY guy. I do all my maintenance and repairs myself.

While browsing e90.com many owners were having their oil sensors fail. And there was even a back order on them. The low oil light came on the dash EVENTHOUGH the engine had the correct level of oil. So what did owners do? Yup, they started putting excess oil in their engines. They should have a dipstick tucked away somewhere because I dont trust the computer. Especially on a German car cuz the electrical system is its weakest and fails the most.

This is a dumb move on BMW's.
Old 12-28-07, 07:49 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Cars used to have a stick to measure fuel in the tank. We worked our way towards a fuel gauge on the dash.

The fuel and coolant do not have dipsticks. Not having an oil dipstick takes some getting used to.

If you think about it. BMWs have very large oil reservoirs. You could be two quarts down and still be ok. The oil sensors tell you via dash (iDrive or other indicator) when you need to add a quart. Make sense in theory.

However, the issue with lack of dipstick is twofold.

1. If the sensor system fails, you have no idea how much oil is in th car.

2. There is no way to verify oil level without a drain and refill should the sensor fail.

BMW should have left the stick in place since oil is the most important fluid in the car that prevents engine damage.

BMW has made a few errors that will cause me to look elsewhere for a vehicle.

1. Run flats with harsh ride and no spare
2. Lack of oil dipsticks
3. 7 years of iDrive and it is still slow. Useful but slow.

I love BMW's. er correction, I love the previous BMWs. As time goes by they are missing the mark for a premium brand. Of course I could say the same thing for Lexus too since I am a picky b@stard.
Old 12-28-07, 12:50 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
first of all, you can take your smart *** attitude and stick it somewhere, like your north pole.

secondly, you're right, the dealer is under 0 obligation to give new engines under that kind of circumstance, but guess what? it happens.
obviously you don't know much of how high end dealerships operate. unfortunately, rich people who whine and ***** enough get new engines and basically anything else they want. they are not above calling the owner, who goes to the same country club, and talking directly to him.
then guess what happens. we're told to replace the engine under warranty and make up some bs story about how something else failed necessitating the engine replacement. it happens more often than you think, with everything form engines to transmissions, to seat leathers, and almost everything else that some rich POS won't take responsibility for.

is it stupid to not have a dipstick? absolutely. not any more stupid than most high end car owners though....
Old 12-28-07, 01:04 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know if dipstick is necessary. I have never ever pulled the dipstick in my IS350.
Old 12-28-07, 01:30 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Porsche doesn't have dip stick either.. its been like that since the 996.. i check my oil level using the on board computer.. it is good because it tells you exectly how much oil you need to put in if the oil is low... the only bad things is the car has to completly warm up(mean that it need to drive at least couple miles) before you can check the oil level....
Old 12-28-07, 01:36 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by STIG
I don't know if dipstick is necessary. I have never ever pulled the dipstick in my IS350.
I wouldn't even notice if my IS300 didn't have one. I've never checked my oil myself.
Old 12-28-07, 01:45 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it should still be there for those that do check oil themselves. not having the option is just lame...

Quick Reply: Unlike BMW,will Lexus keep the oil dipstick?