Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will the next Supra have the GT-R as its benchmark?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 03:27 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But you must admit, Toyota, if they were to even build another Supra, will need to make one hell of a car to compete with the new GTR.
Old 01-03-08, 06:24 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the IS platform, use the 3.5 V6, and maybe tune the suspension to be more sport, take away 2 doors. You not only have a sports car to compete with the Z, Mustang, Rx-8 and the Honda Accord coupe but also you will have a IS coupe to go against the G37 and the 335 coupe.
How hard would that be. I can figure that out.
Old 01-03-08, 07:08 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so basically, you guys want lexus to build a g35, 350z, and gt-r???

why dont you all just buy one of the nissan cars right now?
Old 01-03-08, 07:26 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I think if there is a next Supra, it has every right to compete against the GT-R. I really dont think of the GT-R as a "supercar" per se as we do with the Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, the LF-A, etc. I think the GT-R is more along the lines of an upper echelon GT car/sports car; a car that is practical for everyday driving and a superb track car. At $70K, the price also does not suggest "Supercar" IMO rather it suggest an upper end GT/sports car al a the Corvette and the Carrera. I think, however, if the "next Supra" tries to compete with the GT-R and consequently does so in price as well, Toyota will have missed the real intended market with this one.

I disagree that price determines supercar status, performance does. Price may determine "exotic" status, though.

Based on performance, if the GT-R is not a supercar, I don't know what would be.
Old 01-03-08, 07:41 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedflex
I disagree that price determines supercar status, performance does. Price may determine "exotic" status, though.

Based on performance, if the GT-R is not a supercar, I don't know what would be.
id say exclusivity and design intent make a supercar although price and performance play key roles as well.

imo supercar = zonda, cgt, enzo/fxx/mc12, ascaris, etc.

911s, GT-Rs, 430s/Scuderias, etc are not.
Old 01-03-08, 08:36 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
id say exclusivity and design intent make a supercar although price and performance play key roles as well.

imo supercar = zonda, cgt, enzo/fxx/mc12, ascaris, etc.

911s, GT-Rs, 430s/Scuderias, etc are not.
Apparently the guys at Top gear think it is a supercar.

Supercar of the Year: Nissan GT-R

'The GT-R is monstrously good. It locks on like a missile. Seriously, this thing hooks up and accelerates like a Bugatti Veyron. Its body control is breathtaking, too - you just know that this car has been meticulously engineered down to the last tiny grommet. I seriously doubt that there is a car on the planet that can corner faster or more aggressively than this.'

Jason Barlow

http://www.topgear.com/content/timet...r/awards07/12/
Old 01-03-08, 08:43 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Apparently the guys at Top gear think it is a supercar.

Supercar of the Year: Nissan GT-R

'The GT-R is monstrously good. It locks on like a missile. Seriously, this thing hooks up and accelerates like a Bugatti Veyron. Its body control is breathtaking, too - you just know that this car has been meticulously engineered down to the last tiny grommet. I seriously doubt that there is a car on the planet that can corner faster or more aggressively than this.'

Jason Barlow

http://www.topgear.com/content/timet...r/awards07/12/
articles in the media are written by normal people that have opinions, their opinion does not determine mine.

im a nissan fan and enthusiast as much as anyone else here, but if you really believe that a car that does the 1/4 in 11.6 @ 121mph hooks up and accelerates like a car that does the 1/4 in <10.5 @ 140mph+ ... i cant continue to discuss this with you

sure the car is stunning, but if you call it a supercar, what do you call the other cars i mention? that is why, in all fairness i leave them separate.
Old 01-03-08, 09:24 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

so basically, you guys want lexus to build a g35, 350z, and gt-r???

why dont you all just buy one of the nissan cars right now?

because the Z is ultimately a pig with a GM-quality interior, and because there should be more than 1 manufacturer per car segment available to us consumers
Old 01-03-08, 09:37 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by replica
because the Z is ultimately a pig with a GM-quality interior, and because there should be more than 1 manufacturer per car segment available to us consumers
a pig that outperforms anything costing less, sure.
a pig that apparently everyone wishes toyota would have built, yes
GM quality interior? no. maybe on the earlier ones but not on the post 05 models.... and again, its interior is better for the purpose than anything costing less.

i agree on competition, but you dont want toyota to try to build a Z,G, or GT-R. over the long term, that wouldnt create much value for anyone.
Old 01-03-08, 10:20 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

articles in the media are written by normal people that have opinions, their opinion does not determine mine.

im a nissan fan and enthusiast as much as anyone else here, but if you really believe that a car that does the 1/4 in 11.6 @ 121mph hooks up and accelerates like a car that does the 1/4 in <10.5 @ 140mph+ ... i cant continue to discuss this with you

sure the car is stunning, but if you call it a supercar, what do you call the other cars i mention? that is why, in all fairness i leave them separate.
I'm not arguing your point because what actually is a supercar depends on what definition you go by. You have yours. I have mine and they have theirs. But apparently it is not out of the question to call the GT-R a supercar.
Old 01-03-08, 10:24 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

a pig that outperforms anything costing less, sure.
the fact that there's nothing else on the market to compete doesn't mean that the Z is a great car by default. But I'm glad Nissan at least has the sack to make a car for this market, unlike Toyota, grrr

a pig that apparently everyone wishes toyota would have built, yes
no one wishes Toyota made a 3600 lb sports car with tire-feathering issues, grease streaks on the windows, cheap *** interior, etc

GM quality interior? no. maybe on the earlier ones but not on the post 05 models.... and again, its interior is better for the purpose than anything costing less.
again, what else costs less, the Rustang? I drove a Z hoping to like it. I didn't, so I bought the S2k. Much more fun than the Z, but still not what I want, which is a RWD Toyota sports car, hopefully with FI

i agree on competition, but you dont want toyota to try to build a Z,G, or GT-R. over the long term, that wouldnt create much value for anyone.
?? please elaborate, specifically regarding the Z market
Old 01-03-08, 10:30 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well no one wants any other car manufacturer to carbon copy another car and market it as their own. We want a competitor to those cars so that we have choices. Sure the Z and G are cool cars and are sporty but that's all I see around here. I wouldn't want a car that I saw everywhere. Competition almost always is a winning situation for consumers. Some people are brand loyal. I'm brand loyal but that doesn't mean I wouldn't shop at another brand if what I really want isn't within my favored brand.
Old 01-03-08, 10:46 AM
LexFather

I'm not arguing your point because what actually is a supercar depends on what definition you go by. You have yours. I have mine and they have theirs. But apparently it is not out of the question to call the GT-R a supercar.
I love the GT-R and I would love to own one but its NOT a supercar. There is no "your" definition.

A Supercar is MORE than performance. It is the TOTAL experience, from styling, to rarity, to heritage, to dealer experience, etc.

The GT-R has stunning performance for 70k, its no supercar.

Supercar=Ferrari's, Lambos, Saleen S7, Bugatti, etc etc...
A supercar NIssan would be the car they built in the early 1990s as they competed in F1 (I believe). I forgot the name but it was 1 million dollars and I think one was produced.

Old 01-03-08, 11:23 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I love the GT-R and I would love to own one but its NOT a supercar. There is no "your" definition.

A Supercar is MORE than performance. It is the TOTAL experience, from styling, to rarity, to heritage, to dealer experience, etc.
Absolutely there is a "your" definition because what you gave above is your definition. Many would not share it.

For me a supercar is one which does what few other cars can do. It's for me almost purely a matter of capability. There's fast and then there's unusually fast (superfast) there's good handling and there's extraordinary handling. It's the difference between a man and superman.

The other stuff you mention is incidental. Heritage and dealer experience are irrelevant to that point. Many may never accept the GT-R as a supercar due to price but that's one of the amazing things the car may well have achieved. Proving that a supercar doesn't have to have a superprice.

Here's an interesting discussion on the subject.

http://auto-news-blog.com/nissan/is-the-gt-r-a-supercar

Last edited by speedflex; 01-03-08 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-03-08, 11:28 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus will have a super car to compete with the GTR and the next NX. All the car makers have a sports car but Toyota. How much more money it would be to make the Supra.

Quick Reply: Will the next Supra have the GT-R as its benchmark?