Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW - Innovation continues, new Bi-Turbo V8 Engine: N64

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 11:38 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
btw, the s600 is not amg and it's still twin turbo and although lame, they did have the c230 which also has a supercharger i think (just for the kick of it, hehe)
Yeah, I forgot about the S600/CL600 biturbo, although Benz has already moved away from FI on the 230k model as well.
Old 01-02-08, 12:40 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Yeah, I forgot about the S600/CL600 biturbo, although Benz has already moved away from FI on the 230k model as well.
and also SL600.
Old 01-03-08, 12:10 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 356 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Forget referring to specific cars, they all share similar engines.

Mercedes' big engines are
The 550 is n/a
The 63 is n/a
The 65's and 600's are turboed.
The 55's are some s/ced, but on the tiny cars (SLK and C) are n/a.

All methods have their place. Personally I prefer n/a and I'm glad that's the route the IS-F went and I hope the LF-A goes.

I don't like turbo's because they muffles exhausts and I think a supercharger whine is a little too immature.
Old 01-03-08, 12:44 PM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

Damn...nice...
Old 01-03-08, 12:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Twin turbo V8. BMW engineered this factory motor for the enthusiasts. This new motor saves potential owners 25k & up in patch work and headaches. Hartge, Lumma, Hamman & others are at work as we speak to create beasts
I would think they did it to out power Benz and the competition. They are backstabbing their O.G enthusiasts.

For years they said AMG was "not pure" and N/A was the way to go. THey stuck their noses up at AMG.

Well their N/A cars could never match the Benz FI and AMG cars for power. The 760 is an afterthought compared to the S600.

Their cars are getting heavier and more complicated. An old "M" enthusiast wrote into EVO and echo's that "M" stands for "MASS".

Make no mistake about it, this engine is simply a beast and if the 335 engine is any indication, a tt V-8 scared me with the potential it has.

BMW gets rid of their old, O.G enthusiasts for new ones, bottom line.

Old 01-03-08, 12:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i agree with you, mike, well put

although i think they are kind of slapping themselves now in terms of performance. it's funny to see how the 335i outrun the m3 with chips
Old 01-03-08, 01:20 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree with you, mike, well put

although i think they are kind of slapping themselves now in terms of performance. it's funny to see how the 335i outrun the m3 with chips
The M cars aren't all about straight out power though, they're meant to handle around a track as well. I think BMW thinks that FI engines have extra mass and weight and that throws off the balance of power and weight for the M cars. We'll see how they try to market their N/A M cars when you can up the boost in a cheaper FI engine and throw some suspension upgrades into it.
Originally Posted by vraa
I don't like turbo's because they muffles exhausts and I think a supercharger whine is a little too immature.
Nothing like the sound of a turbo spool and blow off though.
Old 01-03-08, 01:28 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 356 Likes on 207 Posts

Very true! The blowoffs on some cars is just another level. Very 'leviathan' I think

I also can't deny the F40... the triple exhaust thing was sick.
Old 01-03-08, 02:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
The M cars aren't all about straight out power though, they're meant to handle around a track as well. I think BMW thinks that FI engines have extra mass and weight and that throws off the balance of power and weight for the M cars. We'll see how they try to market their N/A M cars when you can up the boost in a cheaper FI engine and throw some suspension upgrades into it.

Nothing like the sound of a turbo spool and blow off though.
i am not discounting the m3 on the track (in fact i still think it will shine). but still though, having the 335 walking away from the m3 on the straight, that's not too pretty isn't it (especially when the m3 cost quite a bit more)

for example on the e46 (m3 vs 330), c class (c63 vs c350), is (is-f vs is350), a4 (rs4 vs 3.0), it's much harder to make the "normal" version faster than the sport version
Old 01-03-08, 03:37 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Yes they have made great strides with forced induction, but their engines aren't making significantly more power than the competition either.. Lexus for example has a 306HP V6 and 380hp V8, both of which are N/A. BMW's turbo charged engines equal those from Lexus and others that are naturally aspirated, so it's just a different way to get the same numbers.
Currently, yes you are correct. However, in 1989 BMW's 3.6 in the M5 had 311hp without turbos (and only a 7250rpm rev limit) and, in Europe, their 3.8 had 340hp in 1993 without turbos. Not sure why BMW doesn't want to go back to the big inline sixes but would guess it is weight and trying to limit the actual variations of engines produced to increase economies of scale. The 3.0 base is now used in all but the V8's and now the same V8 will be used in everything but the //M cars.
Old 01-03-08, 10:55 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by proximal
http://jalopnik.com/cars/2009-bmw-x6...end-334405.php

This will be replacing the V8 in the *50i models.
By placing the turbochargers in between the 2 rows of cylinders, BMW is shooting the aftermarket in the foot. There will be limited space for increase in size of the turbos so the aftermarket won't be able to make big turbos fit into that restricted space.
Old 01-04-08, 12:42 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

None of BMW's high output vehicles have ever been even remotely reliable. M3. M5, even the brand new 335 is suffering from overheating. What are the chances of this new engine being reliable? Sorry, but if you want insane power and have the cash, MB AMG is the way to go.
Old 01-04-08, 06:16 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
None of BMW's high output vehicles have ever been even remotely reliable. M3. M5, even the brand new 335 is suffering from overheating. What are the chances of this new engine being reliable? Sorry, but if you want insane power and have the cash, MB AMG is the way to go.
LOL.. I just spilled my morning coffee.. Comical post
Old 01-04-08, 07:00 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by Och
Well the M engines are typically high strung, most any engine that spins that high has reliability issues.
Old 01-04-08, 07:05 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by natnut
By placing the turbochargers in between the 2 rows of cylinders, BMW is shooting the aftermarket in the foot. There will be limited space for increase in size of the turbos so the aftermarket won't be able to make big turbos fit into that restricted space.
Never thought of it that way, but I do find it an interesting space savings concept.
Another plus of having them there is that they spool much more quickly with almost no lag because the exhaust right after being fired shoots through the turbo and the turbos being so close can spin the FI air back into the intake manifolds.
Some tuner will get around this though.

Quick Reply: BMW - Innovation continues, new Bi-Turbo V8 Engine: N64