Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

‘Two more years’ for Toyota F1 success - boss

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 06:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default ‘Two more years’ for Toyota F1 success - boss

‘Two more years’ for Toyota F1 success - boss

Posted on Monday 31 December 2007

Team principal Tadashi Yamashina says he has been given two more years to deliver the goods for Toyota in formula one. The Japanese took the reigns of the struggling Cologne based team earlier this year, following a half decade of underperformance despite Toyota’s top annual budget. “(For Toyota) to become stronger it is more important to improve the level of organisation in general rather than to rely on the power of one person,” he said in Toyota’s latest Motorsports Annual Report.

“My job is to mobilise the resources to achieve that. I have been given two more years.

“So, we will work and fight to make sure we prove ourselves in the 2008 season,” Yamashina added.

Jarno Trulli and Ralf Schumacher amassed just 13 points in 2007, with a highest finish in a grand prix of just sixth.

Toyota will launch the TF107’s successor, to be raced by Trulli and newly crowned GP2 champion Timo Glock next year, on January 10.

Yamashina said: “This year’s experience brought home to me the fact that we have lot of work to do.

“We need to continue to push hard to arrive at the top.

“Our goal at the beginning of the year was to lead the second group and gradually reduce the gap between us and the two top teams, but in the end it was proved that we had been too optimistic,” he admitted.

“We studied our performances in 2007 and we believe we have found areas where we have to improve. We expect more from the aerodynamic side and also from an operational side but I am optimistic that the team knows what needs to be done to improve our performance.” (GMM)
via motorauthority
Old 01-02-08, 12:54 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want them too succeed, I hope they have a good car this year.
Old 01-02-08, 01:42 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So two more years before the LF-A is launched right?
Old 01-02-08, 02:37 PM
LexFather

I really hope they make a reasonable improvement, all that money spent and nothing to show for it.

I commend them for competing but they need some wins. F1 is the PREMIER auto sport and winning produces a big plus for your company.

The other odd thing is with say Ferrrai, you know the learnings from F1 go into the cars. With Toyota, where do they go, the Highlander?

Old 01-02-08, 02:41 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The other odd thing is with say Ferrrai, you know the learnings from F1 go into the cars. With Toyota, where do they go, the Highlander?
You could say the same thing about a slew of F1 teams which don't have any cars using F1 or F1-derived technology. The LF-A's V10 has long been announced as being derived from the last-gen F1 V10s, though.
Old 01-02-08, 03:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Two years and then what? Will they just fire him and give the next guy two more years or will they pull out of F1? That wasn't made clear. If they give him two years and he doesn't come through, changing heads yet again isn't going to do anything. They need consistency, and if you keep firing people you wont get it.
Old 01-02-08, 03:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
You could say the same thing about a slew of F1 teams which don't have any cars using F1 or F1-derived technology. The LF-A's V10 has long been announced as being derived from the last-gen F1 V10s, though.
True but I'm worried about Toyota....
Oh and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe F1 used to use V-10s until last year, when they switched to V-8s.
The NSX and LFA are taking so long to produce, F1 switched engines, lol

Old 01-02-08, 03:56 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Two years and then what? Will they just fire him and give the next guy two more years or will they pull out of F1? That wasn't made clear. If they give him two years and he doesn't come through, changing heads yet again isn't going to do anything. They need consistency, and if you keep firing people you wont get it.
It sounds like they're giving him two years, period. It'd be sad if Toyota dropped out of F1 though, as there just aren't many corporations out there that have the cash flow to foot the bill for an attempt at a successful F1 team.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
True but I'm worried about Toyota....
Oh and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe F1 used to use V-10s until last year, when they switched to V-8s.
The NSX and LFA are taking so long to produce, F1 switched engines, lol
Yeah, that's why I said last-gen. I'd much rather have the old derived V10 than a V8, though, not to mention there's been so much development done on that V10 already.
Old 01-02-08, 03:58 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The reports I have seen from other sources on the web are that Toyota will pull the plug on the F1 effort. While getting a win is important, other places on the web are painting a bit more complicated picture that a big problem with the F1 effort is Toyota applying "Toyota Way" management structure. There is more than enough blame to spread around but trying to run an F1 team the same way you make Corolla's is more than likely not going to turn out well.

Toyota also had a rough go for their first year in NASCAR but there was definite improvement by the end of the year. I am not sure how far away they are from a Cup win but it wouldn't surprise me to see at least one this year. But then, the structure is very different between the manufacturer and the teams in NASCAR compared to running your own team in F1. Most of the opinion seems to be that this is just preparing for the F1 effort to be clobbered in that two year time frame. Who knows whether success in NASCAR helps or hurts the prospects for Toyota supporting F1?
Old 01-02-08, 06:42 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

toyota has never been very good at ECU's compared to Honda and BMW IMO
so maybe the new rule of standardized ECU's this year will bring some hope to Toyota?
Old 01-02-08, 08:04 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way Toyota is winning a F1 race this year unless Ferrari, Mclaren, BMW and Renault are all disqualified in one single race for some stupid reason. Four Toyota drivers had combined one random 3rd place finish out of some 67 starts. You need to learn how to walk before you can run.