Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW X5 xDrive35d and 335d Clean Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 01:38 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW X5 xDrive35d and 335d Clean Diesel

WOODCLIFF LAKE, New Jersey — BMW will use the Detroit auto show to introduce its clean-diesel technology, dubbed BluePerformance. The first BMW models to feature the system will be the X5 xDrive35d utility vehicle and the 335d sedan, both of which go on sale next fall in all 50 states.

BMW trails its German rivals Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen/Audi in trumpeting the latest clean-diesel technology, despite the fact that two-thirds of all BMWs sold in Europe are equipped with diesel engines.

The first of the new-generation BMW clean diesels is a twin-turbocharged, direct-injection 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder that makes 265 horsepower and 425 pound-feet of torque. The 335d accelerates from zero to 60 in less than 6.2 seconds and returns EPA city/highway fuel economy of 23/33 mpg. The comparable figures for the X5 xDrive35d are 7.2 seconds and 19/25 mpg.

At one time, all three were expected to join in a clean-diesel alliance, using the Bluetec system jointly developed by Mercedes and Bosch, but since have elected to pursue separate paths. VW is marketing its diesels under the long-running TDI label.

The Mercedes and BMW systems use a similar approach to reducing nitrogen oxide emissions, injecting a urea solution dubbed AdBlue into the catalytic converter.

What this means to you: The Germans can invent new nicknames until they're blue in the face, but we will always think of this new technology as "clean diesel." — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124133

BMW is killing their competitors with their new motors.

I can't wait to see 425 ft/lb of tq in 3 series.
Old 01-02-08, 01:41 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't wait to test them out!
Old 01-02-08, 02:30 PM
LexFather

This engine have gotten rave reviews in Europe in the 335d. I do like the fact it gives consumers another choice instead of just unleaded but I would rather they put their energy in hybrids.

Old 01-02-08, 03:02 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The 425 figure is very impressive, but the 6.2s 0-60 seems rather slow for a 265/425 engine, esp. if the power band is as wide as it should be (being a biturbo). Also, the rated 23/33 will not save much money over the 355i's 17/26 given current diesel prices in the US.

Are there any details (or guesses) on pricing?
Old 01-02-08, 03:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Nothing against diesels, but just point out that even with all of that power, 0 -60 acceleration still isn't all that stellar. Nothing to complain about, but nothing to write home about either.
Old 01-02-08, 03:21 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Nothing against diesels, but just point out that even with all of that power, 0 -60 acceleration still isn't all that stellar. Nothing to complain about, but nothing to write home about either.
Have you ever driven diesel turbos?
Old 01-02-08, 05:32 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

You know marketing will just focus on the 425lb-ft which is impressive but with the "low" ish hp relative to the torque, that might explain the 6.2 sec time.

Aren't most diesels turbos? That's why they get gobs of torque. At least the diesels here are turbo.
Old 01-02-08, 05:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

6.2 isn't slow for a heavy *** SUV.
Old 01-02-08, 08:49 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
6.2 isn't slow for a heavy *** SUV.
6.2 is for the 3 series. 7.2 is for the SUV.
Old 01-02-08, 11:41 PM
Arvin
Rookie

Can we get those cars in California? If yes I will serious consider to get a 335d as my daily car. I am sure the 335d is a lot more fun to drive than the RX400h.
Old 01-03-08, 09:46 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
Have you ever driven diesel turbos?
Yes, I have.
Old 01-03-08, 05:55 PM
proximal
Driver

Originally Posted by Arvin
Can we get those cars in California? If yes I will serious consider to get a 335d as my daily car. I am sure the 335d is a lot more fun to drive than the RX400h.
Yes, the Diesel will be available in all 50 states.

I bet the acceleration times listed are conservative twice over. BMW is already pretty conservative with these things, and they might be padding the time some more to differentiate with the 335i. Consider that Car and Driver got the previous 330d to 60 in 6.0 sec. They've got a writeup of the new car here.
Old 07-28-08, 10:49 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

So I read an article in BMW Magazine today about adblue. First off, let me address the fact that I am biased. I drove 350 miles of our 700 mile trip yesterday from PA to SC in our RX400h.

The article states that adblue must be recharged every 5000 miles. And while I laud BMW for developing such a system for clean diesel, I'm not sure if its the best idea. I got to thinking about my trip. We will probably drive a total of 1600 miles during this trip. So what happens if you leave with 4000 miles on your odometer. Assuming this is covered under the 4 year maintence program is BMW going to spend the money to refill your adblue so that you don't exceed the limit on your trip? Is there some kind of legislation mandating that they do so? Better yet, will the average American spend the time or even remember that this needs to be done.

So I'm curious how much flex time is in there between fill ups. Is there a sort of grace period of say 1000 miles, where its really at 6000 miles that you need to be refilled? Or are you harming the environment right when you hit 5000 miles?

And when the cost of the adblue refill is out of the owners pocket at say 10 years, 100000 miles who will mandate that the driver must have their adblue refilled? Afterall, some states only require inspections every 2 years and I believe others are more leniant than that.

I am skeptical is to how "green" this technology really is.

Another issue.

The 335d is reported to achieve 23/33 and hit 60 MPH in 6.2 seconds.
The 328i achieves 19/28 and hits 60 MPH in 6.3 seconds.
The $3.80 a gallon vs. $4.80 a gallon, not to mention the 335d will require a premium of several thousand dollars unlike Mercedes Benz diesels that only cost $1000 more than their gasoline variants. Im not so sure this is such a good deal.
Old 07-28-08, 11:20 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

as with all alternate fuel vehicles so far, i'm not sure you buy it for the 'savings' ... i think you buy it because you gain some non-monetary benefit from it

i'm also not entirely sold that you buy it because you think you're saving the environment, because the entire life of the alternate fuel vehicle is often more (or at least the same) harmful than the conventional vehicle
Old 07-28-08, 11:36 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
So I read an article in BMW Magazine today about adblue. First off, let me address the fact that I am biased. I drove 350 miles of our 700 mile trip yesterday from PA to SC in our RX400h.

The article states that adblue must be recharged every 5000 miles. And while I laud BMW for developing such a system for clean diesel, I'm not sure if its the best idea. I got to thinking about my trip. We will probably drive a total of 1600 miles during this trip. So what happens if you leave with 4000 miles on your odometer. Assuming this is covered under the 4 year maintence program is BMW going to spend the money to refill your adblue so that you don't exceed the limit on your trip? Is there some kind of legislation mandating that they do so? Better yet, will the average American spend the time or even remember that this needs to be done.

So I'm curious how much flex time is in there between fill ups. Is there a sort of grace period of say 1000 miles, where its really at 6000 miles that you need to be refilled? Or are you harming the environment right when you hit 5000 miles?

And when the cost of the adblue refill is out of the owners pocket at say 10 years, 100000 miles who will mandate that the driver must have their adblue refilled? Afterall, some states only require inspections every 2 years and I believe others are more leniant than that.

I am skeptical is to how "green" this technology really is.

Another issue.

The 335d is reported to achieve 23/33 and hit 60 MPH in 6.2 seconds.
The 328i achieves 19/28 and hits 60 MPH in 6.3 seconds.
The $3.80 a gallon vs. $4.80 a gallon, not to mention the 335d will require a premium of several thousand dollars unlike Mercedes Benz diesels that only cost $1000 more than their gasoline variants. Im not so sure this is such a good deal.
Is this in the latest issue of BMW magazine with the red X6 on the cover? The only story I see in there about diesels is on page 34 regarding the 335D Which page is your story on?

Quick Reply: BMW X5 xDrive35d and 335d Clean Diesel