Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So Long V8 Cadillacs

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 05:59 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot has been talked about since the last time I checked this thread but let me add my comments to these.

Originally Posted by pagemaster
GM just didn't want to invest in a replacement for the aged 4.6 Northstar. Last time I checked, the toyota 4.6 found in the LS makes 60hp more than the same sized 4.6 engine in the Cadillac STS.
Exactly right. The world has passed the existing Northstar by. That is why the new V6 is so popular. Why pay more for nothing in return? Lexus did the same thing with the GS430 and it's a good thing they finally put the new V8 in there.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Actually technology doesn't always get you there because sometimes the cost isn't justifiable. For example, if an average SUV that meets new CAFE standards ends up costing $100K (in today's dollars) it's not going to sell.

Sometimes new government standards or market forces force consumers to just lower their expectations. For example, in Europe most people drive tiny cars not because of small roads, but because gas and cars are so freaking expensive they can't afford anything better. Technology really hasn't overcome this.
This is one of my problems with the CAFE issue. The cost will be a problem. Can anyone here really justify in a cost breakdown why a diesel engine costs almost $1500 more to produce than a gasoline engine? How much do you think these additional technologies are going to cost? Where do you think that money is going to come from? In the end the money is going to be coming out of the consumers (that we be "our") pockets.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Bush based part of both his 2000 and 2004 campaigns on lowering oil use and in alternate fuels for vehicles. He is only doing what he said he would.

Count your blessings.........if Al Gore had won, he would have us all riding bicycles.
This way, we will still have real cars..........though perhaps less powerful ones. And there's a whole lot more to a nice car than just 0-60 times. Too many of us have become addicted to speed.
Do you really believe that the new CAFE rules will lower oil use? Do you realize how many more cars are on the road now vs. 10 years ago? Those additional cars use gas (oil) too. This trend appears to be holding meaning that even with CAFE oil use will still go up! You want people to stop using oil? Tax the heck out of it or limit consumption (did I just say ration?). In a free economy know what that means? Price goes way up! IMO that is how you use less oil not CAFE.
Old 01-04-08, 06:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
For comparisons sake outside of cars, Toyota has a V8 offering for the Tundra, Sequoia and Land Cruiser and 4Runner.
Yes, that's true, flip......and I've said, in earlier posts, that I didn't think Caddy (or GM) would drop V8's for its big, ful-size trucks and SUV's either.
Old 01-04-08, 06:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson

Do you really believe that the new CAFE rules will lower oil use? Do you realize how many more cars are on the road now vs. 10 years ago? Those additional cars use gas (oil) too.
Yes.....there are more cars on the road now (and there will likely be more 10 years from now as well) but the CAFE rules will probably make a difference anyway. The last ones did.....Just imagine what our oil use would be if all the cars on the road TODAY got the same average mileage they did before the CAFE rules of the 1970's.

So, thy may or may not actually lower oil use, but they WILL check its growth.
Old 01-04-08, 06:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The V-Series cars will have V8's for sure. 525hp V8 CTS-V is on the way
Old 01-04-08, 06:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Why do people keep saying the RL V-6 is okay? Its not.
An honest difference of opinion among us, that's all. Not all of us crave high-performance, and feel that the RL has an adequate level of performance considering its weight, sturdy construction (by today's standards the car, inside and out, is built like a tank), and its intended use......it is not a racing car or super-sports sedan. In fact, that is one of the things that may be affecting its 0-60 times....this car has QUALITY, heavy-duty construction inside and out. You won't find hardly any cheap, flimsy parts in this car....even in interior trim where you do in so many others. I drive and review a lot of cars....this one, easily, is one of the 10 Best I've ever done (yes, the LS460 and GS 300/350 AWD are also on that list).

However, trust me...........we DO respect your views as well. I know that you, Henry, and others are adament that it should have a V8.
Old 01-04-08, 07:24 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because GM has put a new V8 engine on hold doesn't mean they're going to stop selling V8s any time soon.

I like the V8 smoothness though - usually V6s just can't match them in NVH.
I agree, I think this just means not DOHC V8s from Cadillac, they'll just use pushrod engines derived from the LS line. They're just trying to reduce costs in developing a new engine.
NVH?

Originally Posted by pagemaster
GM just didn't want to invest in a replacement for the aged 4.6 Northstar. Last time I checked, the toyota 4.6 found in the LS makes 60hp more than the same sized 4.6 engine in the Cadillac STS.

I don't think I could take serious a premium luxury sedan without a v8. It is kinda like the T100 trying to be a full size with a 3.4 v6.
I'm sure the LS has a better emissions and fuel consumption rating though.
Old 01-04-08, 08:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I agree, I think this just means not DOHC V8s from Cadillac, they'll just use pushrod engines derived from the LS line. They're just trying to reduce costs in developing a new engine.
And while it's dismissed by many import fans as 'old junk', the pushrod stuff actually offers some ADVANTAGES like much smaller packaging, low center of gravity and high reliability. Many race car engines are pushrod!

NVH?
Noise, vibration, and harshness. An abbreviation often used when discussing the smoothness of an engine. Not only dependent on the engine itself but also the engine mounts, other sound proofing and vibration control systems.

V6's have inherent challenges of NVH because of the 3 cylinders a side being an odd number. Balance shafts and other techniques are used to minimize this.

If you drive a V6 vs. a V8 version of the same car, they're night and day (except at idle where many manufacturers have ensured almost any engine is quiet and smooth)
Old 01-04-08, 08:30 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koma
QFT!

The development costs are IMO the major reason for this.
Old 01-04-08, 10:07 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Just imagine what our oil use would be if all the cars on the road TODAY got the same average mileage they did before the CAFE rules of the 1970's.
The AMC Pacer got 16 mpg city, 26 hwy and put out 120 hp. Ouch.
Old 01-04-08, 10:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And while it's dismissed by many import fans as 'old junk', the pushrod stuff actually offers some ADVANTAGES like much smaller packaging, low center of gravity and high reliability. Many race car engines are pushrod!
Depends on what kind of racing you are talking about.....pushrod engines are more RPM-limited than OHC's, but another advantage you didn't mention is that they have more torque at lower RPM, which is what many American drivers want. OHC engines need more RPM's to produce max torque and HP.

The reason that push-rod engines are more RPM-limited is that the lower-mount camshaft, upper and lower pushrods, and rocker arms combine at high RPM's to cause valve float. That is not a problem with the simpler, more direct OHC/cam lobe valve actuation.
Old 01-04-08, 10:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Depends on what kind of racing you are talking about.....pushrod engines are more RPM-limited than OHC's, but another advantage you didn't mention is that they have more torque at lower RPM, which is what many American drivers want. OHC engines need more RPM's to produce max torque and HP.

The reason that push-rod engines are more RPM-limited is that the lower-mount camshaft, upper and lower pushrods, and rocker arms combine at high RPM's to cause valve float. That is not a problem with the simpler, more direct OHC/cam lobe valve actuation.
Interesting, thanks. NASCAR engines are pushrod, and they seem to be screaming! Apparently about 9000rpms!
Old 01-04-08, 11:59 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting, thanks. NASCAR engines are pushrod, and they seem to be screaming! Apparently about 9000rpms!
If you looked at the Chevy small blocks, starting I think with what they called the SB2, you would see how they redesigned things to stay pushrod for NASCAR rules but the geometry radically changed to reduce the length/mass of the moving parts in the valve train and produced engines that could wind high and not run into problems.

While the original press release says that the future of Cadillac V8s is uncertain, everyone here seems to be rushing to the conclusion that Caddy will not have V8s and I definitely do not agree. What was unusual about the Northstar was that Caddy developed it and it had limited applicability to other models which made it very difficult to justify. Chevy is still doing some nifty V8s and of course Holden is being drawn upon more and more by GM performance so I just read the release to mean that Caddy will use corporate V8s but not develop one of its own. The release just says they are not developing a new V8, not that Caddy has decided to not make any V8 models in the future. Of course, that press release may follow in short order but for now I read it to mean that there will just not be a Caddy designed, limited use V8 developed, nothing more.
Old 01-04-08, 12:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There's a reason why NASCAR engines turn higher RPM's than street versions of pushrod V8's. RON430 has touched on part of it.
Old 01-04-08, 12:29 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

before you jump on that boat, remember that NASCAR as well as the NHRA mandates pushrods to discourage technology wars and to keep costs down. They want to concentrate on racing and the drivers....
Old 01-04-08, 12:29 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The new Pontiac G8 is using a variant of the GM LS motor. I can see Caddy doing the same for the non V series STS, XLR & SRX.

Quick Reply: So Long V8 Cadillacs