Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So Long V8 Cadillacs

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 12:35 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bummer

as much as I ragged on American cars and their lame engine designs (Hemi / Pushrods etc), the North Star was AWESOME, dual over head cam, V8 power! My entire family thought that was the gem of the whole company, the LSx never impressed us (family of engineers).

That is pathetic they won't continue it, its their halo engine IMHO.
Old 01-04-08, 12:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The new 4.6 has no relation to the 4.0.
Which is why I said it took awhile for Lexus to get to the new 4.6L V8. It would be a waste to design a completely new platform for every model, hence why Infiniti continue to use the VQ-series instead of making a new engine. I dont think I have ever seen a manufacture change engine platform every 4-5 years.

As long as the VQ-series work in the G-series, Infiniti is going to stick to it.
Old 01-04-08, 02:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Which V6 powered cars get worse gas mileage than an LS460 which is rated at 16/24 city/hwy?
You have the G37 coupe, which is rated at 18/24
You have the M35, which is 16/23
You have Acura RL which is 16/24

Keep in mind, all of these cars are much lighter, way less powerful, and have smaller displacement V6. I'm sure there are plenty of Ford, Chrysler, and GM V6 engines that are even worse.
Old 01-04-08, 02:50 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RON430
While the original press release says that the future of Cadillac V8s is uncertain, everyone here seems to be rushing to the conclusion that Caddy will not have V8s and I definitely do not agree.
I agree. People are reading way too much into this.
Old 01-04-08, 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
V6's have inherent challenges of NVH because of the 3 cylinders a side being an odd number. Balance shafts and other techniques are used to minimize this.

If you drive a V6 vs. a V8 version of the same car, they're night and day (except at idle where many manufacturers have ensured almost any engine is quiet and smooth)
Only V6's with a 90-degree cylinder bank had the NVH problem (the 3.8L GM Buick-designed V6, which goes back to the 1960's, is probably the best example), but even that engine was tamed long ago. In my experience, today's V6s are, for the most part, as smooth as V8s. Some in-line fours, though, especially the GM Ecotec Four used in its compacts and mid-sided cars, still have some NVH problems.
Old 01-04-08, 03:51 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Ive said it elsewhere, but I really like what Subaru is doing with SI drive. So you can pick the kind of engine you wanted. This would take some engineering and would make having a V8 almost pointless, but it would be cool if you one day choose if you wanted your vehicle to run in 4, 6, or 8 cylinder mode. So if gas prices were really high you can choose 4 cylinder. But then again, it would be like having a car with a turbo and always staying out of boost. Just I thought I had.
Old 01-04-08, 05:20 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Ive said it elsewhere, but I really like what Subaru is doing with SI drive. So you can pick the kind of engine you wanted. This would take some engineering and would make having a V8 almost pointless, but it would be cool if you one day choose if you wanted your vehicle to run in 4, 6, or 8 cylinder mode. So if gas prices were really high you can choose 4 cylinder. But then again, it would be like having a car with a turbo and always staying out of boost. Just I thought I had.
They somewhat have this in some engines (the whole shutting off cylinders thing). But you can't choose when you want to run on half the cylinders (I think).
Old 01-04-08, 07:47 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

In my opinion there is nothing like the wonderful sound of a Blitz, Tanabe or any hi quality exhaust for the Lexus V8 which can only be replicated WITH a V8, not a V6. To me, that is one reason I choose V8's. Its my opinion which means nothing..
Old 01-04-08, 09:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
as much as I ragged on American cars and their lame engine designs (Hemi / Pushrods etc), the North Star was AWESOME, dual over head cam, V8 power! My entire family thought that was the gem of the whole company, the LSx never impressed us (family of engineers).

That is pathetic they won't continue it, its their halo engine IMHO.
What is so awesome about the Northstar?
Old 01-04-08, 11:08 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
What is so awesome about the Northstar?
Well in a FWD '95 Aurora it performed very well. Haven't driven a new Northstar. But I loved the few times I got to drive this V8. And I've never heard a more beautiful engine note than this car. I can recall, even my mom loved to floor it. This was also the first car that we had that featured an engine that was quiet at cruising speeds.

Originally Posted by Koma
They somewhat have this in some engines (the whole shutting off cylinders thing). But you can't choose when you want to run on half the cylinders (I think).
No you can't chose. And frankly Im surprised that Lexus isn't all over active fuel management technology.
Old 01-05-08, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Good point, but the difference between SI-Drive and a real V8 is that the SI-drive really stresses the boxer-four out to give you that kind of response. A real V8 can provide that torque at a much lower.....and less stressful....throttle setting.
Old 01-05-08, 10:46 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Only V6's with a 90-degree cylinder bank had the NVH problem (the 3.8L GM Buick-designed V6, which goes back to the 1960's, is probably the best example), but even that engine was tamed long ago. In my experience, today's V6s are, for the most part, as smooth as V8s. Some in-line fours, though, especially the GM Ecotec Four used in its compacts and mid-sided cars, still have some NVH problems.
any v6 with 90 degree cylinder bank should have this problem. the magic number for a v6 should be 60 degrees. the reason why there are v6 90 degrees is because of cost-savings (chopping off 2 cylinders from a v8).

the chevy small block, however, is a timeless design. there are a few shortcomings, but nothing that makes it handicapped.
Old 01-06-08, 05:59 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
You have the G37 coupe, which is rated at 18/24
You have the M35, which is 16/23
You have Acura RL which is 16/24

Keep in mind, all of these cars are much lighter, way less powerful, and have smaller displacement V6. I'm sure there are plenty of Ford, Chrysler, and GM V6 engines that are even worse.
Well, you've listed 2 that are the same and one that gets 1 MPG less on the highway. I would hardly call that "a lot". But, I agree with you about the LS460, and have to wonder, how does it weigh 4,400 LBS, have a 380 HP V8, yet, still be able to get the gas mileage that it does. IOW, what is Lexus doing that Infiniti can't do?
Old 01-06-08, 06:29 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Well, you've listed 2 that are the same and one that gets 1 MPG less on the highway. I would hardly call that "a lot". But, I agree with you about the LS460, and have to wonder, how does it weigh 4,400 LBS, have a 380 HP V8, yet, still be able to get the gas mileage that it does. IOW, what is Lexus doing that Infiniti can't do?
I'm sure the 8 speed transmission helps. Also, the LS460 is probably tuned a lot less aggressively than something like the G37
Old 01-06-08, 10:19 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Exactly right. The world has passed the existing Northstar by. That is why the new V6 is so popular. Why pay more for nothing in return? Lexus did the same thing with the GS430 and it's a good thing they finally put the new V8 in there.
I am not saying that the v6 is no good but if you want to be taken seriously GM should have a 400hp V8 DOHC engine in their lineup. Yes the v6 is good but I still think that a high speeds you will not be able to outperform a good v8.

Quick Reply: So Long V8 Cadillacs