Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So Long V8 Cadillacs

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 11:18 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I'm sure the 8 speed transmission helps. Also, the LS460 is probably tuned a lot less aggressively than something like the G37
And there you have it.
Old 01-18-08, 02:22 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sloppy design? Problematic? If the engine is maintained properly, it lasts just as long as any. I've owned several Northstar Caddy's.. I sold my first with 110,000 miles - it never had any major issues and ran like a brand new engine. My brother-in-law had one with 170,000 miles before he got rid of his. It was also running 100% perfectly when he got rid of it.

The Northstar is a world class engine. I don't know where you heard it was sloppy and problematic.

Originally Posted by Och
Lexus very first engine, the 1UZ-FE is a DOHC 32 valve v8, and its probably the most reliable engine on the planet. So it's not the complexity that makes the Northstar problematic, it's just that its a sloppy design by GM and Opel.
Old 01-18-08, 02:42 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

As mentioned, Cadillac isn't giving up on v8s. They're simply not continuing on with the Northstar. They'll likely be using the LSx version of their engines and will work a little harder at the NVH that go along with them.
Old 01-18-08, 02:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Sloppy design? Problematic? If the engine is maintained properly, it lasts just as long as any. I've owned several Northstar Caddy's.. I sold my first with 110,000 miles - it never had any major issues and ran like a brand new engine. My brother-in-law had one with 170,000 miles before he got rid of his. It was also running 100% perfectly when he got rid of it.

The Northstar is a world class engine. I don't know where you heard it was sloppy and problematic.
It is not a grossly unreliable engine (there are lots worse), but it does have a worse-than-average tendency to use oil.
Old 01-18-08, 02:55 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

The use of oil was more for protection than anything. Being that I own and operate the Cadillac equivalent to ClubLexus, I've had the honor of speaking directly with the most involved engineer of the Northstar motor. If you can take my word for it, the "use" of oil was not an accident. If you cannot take my word for it, I'll do what I can to find what you need to know. However, that will take me some time..

In short, it had to do with over-lubrication...
Old 01-18-08, 02:59 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Furthermore.. The Northstar wasn't "not a grossly unreliable engine". It was actually quite reliable. However, as indicated in the owners manual, it was of supreme importance to take care of the cooling system. Unlike many engines, maintenance was very important. Those who neglected their engines had problems.

So the most common issue was being a quart short at the time of an oil change. If that's a big deal, than I don't know what to say. But, that quart short was normal.

Does anyone here know how long a Northstar engine could run at redline for?
Old 01-18-08, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The use of oil was more for protection than anything. Being that I own and operate the Cadillac equivalent to ClubLexus, I've had the honor of speaking directly with the most involved engineer of the Northstar motor. If you can take my word for it, the "use" of oil was not an accident. If you cannot take my word for it, I'll do what I can to find what you need to know. However, that will take me some time..

In short, it had to do with over-lubrication...
Your word taken......you probably know more about the Northstar than I do. Not having owned one or had long-term experience with one, I just go by what I have read about it in auto columns, Consumer Reports, and what repair/service shops have had to say about them. They all agree on high oil use...for whatever reason.
Old 01-18-08, 03:08 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I suppose that regardless of the reason, every Northstar dropping a quart of oil every 3,000 miles isn't very good. Especially in these times..
Old 01-18-08, 03:19 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I don't know where you heard it was sloppy and problematic.
From me. Read earlier into the thread. Terribly unreliable even with a pristine service record. When spark plugs and wires only last 2000 miles then you have a problem
Old 01-18-08, 03:43 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
From me. Read earlier into the thread. Terribly unreliable even with a pristine service record. When spark plugs and wires only last 2000 miles then you have a problem
If I could pull up a similar issue with, say, an 05 LS430 owned by a relative, would that make the 4.3 sloppy and problematic?
Old 01-18-08, 04:13 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

If I could pull up a similar issue with, say, an 05 LS430 owned by a relative, would that make the 4.3 sloppy and problematic?
Yes. What, you think Ive got some kind of allegiance to an automanufacturer? If the engine has continuous problems then that is not a good engine. I don't care who makes it.
Old 01-18-08, 04:36 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Yes. What, you think Ive got some kind of allegiance to an automanufacturer? If the engine has continuous problems then that is not a good engine. I don't care who makes it.
What I'm saying is:

Terribly unreliable even with a pristine service record. When spark plugs and wires only last 2000 miles then you have a problem.
...unless that is a common occurrence, than I don't see what relevancy it has to the Northstar as a whole.. It seems more like an individual problem than one experienced by the masses. I certainly have heard nothing of meticulously maintained Northstar engines having major problems. Sure, there's one guy here and one guy there - and the one who has a lemon. But as a whole? No. The engine is extremely reliable.

"sloppy design" and "problematic" are words that should not be used in the same sentence as "Northstar".
Old 01-18-08, 04:38 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

But that's just one engine out of many thousands, is it not?
Old 01-18-08, 04:46 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX_330
But that's just one engine out of many thousands, is it not?
Apparently not.

http://www.carsurvey.org/modelyear_O...rora_1995.html

http://www.carsurvey.org/modelyear_O...rora_1996.html

* My pop had a '95.

http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Oldsmobile_Aurora.html
Old 01-18-08, 05:15 PM
ncelk
Driver School Candidate

The Northstar was a world class engine......many years ago. Most car companies have engineered better engines in the past 5-10 years. But it is a bright spot for Cadillac in what was a very dim period for them.

Quick Reply: So Long V8 Cadillacs