Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So Long V8 Cadillacs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 02:31 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Long V8 Cadillacs

GM said today that it has canceled plans to build a new advanced double overhead-cam V8 engine for its luxury cars. GM said a year ago that it would be investing $300 million in its Tonawanda, N.Y., engine plant for a new V8 engine. The engine was scheduled to start production in 2009 and was to be used in GM’s luxury cars.

GM’s powertrain spokesman said that the project is now completely dead, making the future of V8 Cadillacs unclear. The new V8 engine was expected to replace Cadillac’s Northstar V8 which will end production in 2010.
Besides for the XLR, Cadillac is now expected to switch to a high-powered V6 engine.

Cadillac spokesman Kevin Smith said, “We’ve really seen the V6 become the predominant engine in sales on the (2008) STS because it’s so close in power to the V8.” He also said that the V6 unit is about 150 to 200 pounds lighter than the V8.

Oh the effects of the CAFE 35. More depressing news like this is expected to come in the following months.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
I loved the Northstar. My dad had one. However, it needed to be updated. Direct injection, active fuel management, etc. Would help it to get closer to CAFE standards.
Old 01-03-08, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This is what I've said many times before. You don't really need a V8 if the V6 is designed well enough. The Acura RL, despite the low sales, proved that.....so did a number of Nissan/Infiniti cars with the excellent 3.5L and 3.7L V6s.

I do expect to see GM V8s, though, stay on for the big, full-size SUV's and trucks.
Old 01-03-08, 02:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I loved the Northstar. My dad had one. However, it needed to be updated. Direct injection, active fuel management, etc. Would help it to get closer to CAFE standards.
The Northstar was a nice engine in a number of ways, but it tended to use a fair amount of oil and, with 4 overhead cams and 32 valves, was very complex to repair or overhaul.
Old 01-03-08, 02:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is what I've said many times before. You don't really need a V8 if the V6 is designed well enough. The Acura RL, despite the low sales, proved that.....so did a number of Nissan/Infiniti cars with the excellent 3.5L and 3.7L V6s.

I do expect to see GM V8s, though, stay on for the big, full-size SUV's and trucks.
Mike, sorry I disagree. BMW just dropped some new TT V-8s. Lexus V-8s are all new. Benzes have new V-8s.

They are not the majority of sales but the majority of the halo. No one takes V-6 only cars serious. You NEED a V-8.

Old 01-03-08, 02:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Huge giant mistake on Caddy's part. Newsflash, Caddy's 304 DI V-6 is a good engine but the CTS is 4000lbs and performance figures are MIDPACK!!

HELLLLLOOO!!!!! Awful move. Caddy=RWD and V-8s. I could never buy a non V-8 Caddy. No way.

Old 01-03-08, 02:43 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

V10 and V12 is where it's at...

It's not about need, it's about excess. That's what a LEXUS is. Excess...
Old 01-03-08, 02:46 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Northstar was a nice engine in a number of ways, but it tended to use a fair amount of oil and, with 4 overhead cams and 32 valves, was very complex to repair or overhaul.
I always thought that it was teamed to the wrong transmission. The 4 speed auto weakend the Aurora. By the end of its life (70,000 miles) the transmission was effed up that everytime you turned the steering wheel the engine shut off. And to make matters worse, this started happening just as my sister took it to Toyota to trade it in. They took it anyway.
Old 01-03-08, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike, sorry I disagree. BMW just dropped some new TT V-8s. Lexus V-8s are all new. Benzes have new V-8s.

They are not the majority of sales but the majority of the halo. No one takes V-6 only cars serious. You NEED a V-8.
No Problem. I understand why you disagree. But it still does not change the fact that the Nissan 3.5 and 3.7 V6's are excellent, well-respected motors. And, as V8's start to disappear, high-powered V6s will start to take their place more and more, though we may start to see some high-mileage V8 hybrids. But, like it or not, the traditional high-power, conventional V8 is likely to get severely curtailed, if not wiped out, here in America by the new CAFE laws.

You are correct that some luxury carmakers are still going with V8s, but I think their days are numbered.
Old 01-03-08, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Huge giant mistake on Caddy's part. Newsflash, Caddy's 304 DI V-6 is a good engine but the CTS is 4000lbs and performance figures are MIDPACK!!

HELLLLLOOO!!!!! Awful move. Caddy=RWD and V-8s. I could never buy a non V-8 Caddy. No way.
The CTS, underhood, really doesn't have much room for a V8. Even the D.I. V6 was fit in rather tightly.

And go drive a 304 HP D.I. CTS, if you haven't yet. It is not a Dodge Viper or Ferrari Enzo, but it will more than get out of its own way, even with the automatic.
Old 01-03-08, 03:53 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

No Problem. I understand why you disagree. But it still does not change the fact that the Nissan 3.5 and 3.7 V6's are excellent, well-respected motors. And, as V8's start to disappear, high-powered V6s will start to take their place more and more, though we may start to see some high-mileage V8 hybrids. But, like it or not, the traditional high-power, conventional V8 is likely to get severely curtailed, if not wiped out, here in America by the new CAFE laws.

You are correct that some luxury carmakers are still going with V8s, but I think their days are numbered.
Lexus has a new 5.0L V8 and a 5.7 V8. I do not think the V8 will be phased out for a while.

Since you know the nissan engines, do they still have V8's? The trucks do but I don't think any of their cars right? I know as 1sick stated above, BMW just introduced one and I'm sure Mercedes is stickin' to their V8's as well, considering the new 550 engine.

Although carnot efficiency is pretty much hit, we can supplement it with electric motors. itll bide us enough until we can finally overcome the political reasons against nuclear.

we have billions of years worth of nuclear power available to us at almost dirt cheap. including externalities! Then when we have the technology, we move towards hydrogen fuel.
Old 01-03-08, 03:54 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

When you think of a Caddy it's got to have a V8. Now all the carmakers are Just going to have one motor powering everything.
Old 01-03-08, 03:57 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
When you think of a Caddy it's got to have a V8. Now all the carmakers are Just going to have one motor powering everything.
Just wait until the days where we're adding battery packs or supercaps to get more hp.

Best of all, it'd be incredibly cheap
Old 01-03-08, 03:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus very first engine, the 1UZ-FE is a DOHC 32 valve v8, and its probably the most reliable engine on the planet. So it's not the complexity that makes the Northstar problematic, it's just that its a sloppy design by GM and Opel.
Old 01-03-08, 04:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vraa
Lexus has a new 5.0L V8 and a 5.7 V8. I do not think the V8 will be phased out for a while.

Since you know the nissan engines, do they still have V8's? The trucks do but I don't think any of their cars right? I know as 1sick stated above, BMW just introduced one and I'm sure Mercedes is stickin' to their V8's as well, considering the new 550 engine.
Nissan doesn't have V8 in any of their cars, and neither does Toyota or Honda. However Infiniti has a v8 in Q45, M45, FX45, and Qx56.
Old 01-03-08, 04:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I agree that the power output of todays 6 cylinder motors is nearing and even surpassing some of yesterdays 8 cylinders, but there are a few things to keep in mind. First of all these engines keep growing in size. Remember when Camry and Accord were powered by 2.5L V6, then by 3.0L, and now by 3.5L? You have Infiniti and Acura using 3.7L V6 engines now, and these are damn near V8 category! Remember the first Lexus V8 was 4.0, and if I remember correctly, the Northstar is also 4.0? From what I know, its not the number of cylinders but rather the displacement that determines fuel efficiency, so why not make these 3.5+ engines with 8 cylinders? They will only run smoother, rev higher, and make even more power.

On a side note, you have GM that is actually decreasing the size of these motors, and its about time. They used to make gutless 3.8 and 4.x 6 cylinder OHV pushrod engines, that were based on 1960ies designs, and they are finally starting to make more advanced overhead cam motors.

Quick Reply: So Long V8 Cadillacs