Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Forbes' Most Overpriced Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 08:22 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Forbes' Most Overpriced Vehicles

Slideshow, Click : http://www.forbes.com/2007/12/27/car...s_slide_2.html

More : http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/veh...eslife_vehicle
Old 01-03-08, 09:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1) Dodge Ram
2) Mercury Grand Marquis
3) Ford F-150
4) Dodge Durango
5) GMC Envoy
6) Mercury Mountaineer
7) Chevy Trailblazer
8) Ford Explorer
9) Jeep Grand Cherokee
10) Chrysler Pacifica
11) Nissan Quest
12) Ford Rangeer
13) Mazda B-Series
14) GMC Canyon

Hmmm... Almost all American...

The funny thing is that I have always thought they were great Used bargains if you can find one a couple years old with little mileage...
Old 01-03-08, 09:38 PM
LexFather

I find some imports overpriced quite frankly, that list sound good but there are some overpriced imports out there, IMO.

Old 01-03-08, 10:15 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Disagree totally with that list, it is mainly the imports especially from luxury brands that are way overpriced. I do like these cars I listed besides the QX, LX470, 5 series.
I think these cars are way overpriced for what you get
BMW 5 series/6 series/M3/7 series
Just about all Mercs especially S class and SL,CL, SLR.
Porsche 911s/Boxsters
Lexus LX470
Infiniti QX56
High end Volvos
Volkswagen Toureg

Others I think are pretty high and should be lower
Infiniti M45
Audi S5
Honda Ridgeline
Lexus IS350/GS430-options are very expensive and raise the price way too high, price is too high compared to IS250/GS350, which is why it is very rare I see 8 cylinder GSs and have never seen a IS350 on the road.
Lexus GX470
Lexus LS hybrid
Lexus LS stretched version with the insanely expensive reclining messaging rear seats option.)
Acura RDX
3 series
new CTS
I like most of these cars too but think they are just too expensive for what they offer.
Old 01-03-08, 10:58 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Disagree totally with that list, it is mainly the imports especially from luxury brands that are way overpriced. I do like these cars I listed besides the QX, LX470, 5 series.
I think these cars are way overpriced for what you get
BMW 5 series/6 series/M3/7 series
Just about all Mercs especially S class and SL,CL, SLR.
Porsche 911s/Boxsters
Lexus LX470
Infiniti QX56
High end Volvos
Volkswagen Toureg

Others I think are pretty high and should be lower
Infiniti M45
Audi S5
Honda Ridgeline
Lexus IS350/GS430-options are very expensive and raise the price way too high, price is too high compared to IS250/GS350, which is why it is very rare I see 8 cylinder GSs and have never seen a IS350 on the road.
Lexus GX470
Lexus LS hybrid
Lexus LS stretched version with the insanely expensive reclining messaging rear seats option.)
Acura RDX
3 series
new CTS
I like most of these cars too but think they are just too expensive for what they offer.
The thing about your list is most of those cars are from luxury manufacturers. One doesn't shop at a luxury or even near luxury dealer expecting bargain prices. On the other hand, a luxury trunk IMHO is almost an oxymoron. A truck should be used for work. You don't need all that luxury options in a truck. There shouldn't be luxury trucks and trucks shouldn't cost $30K+ much less the $40K+ ones.
Old 01-04-08, 12:05 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The thing about your list is most of those cars are from luxury manufacturers. One doesn't shop at a luxury or even near luxury dealer expecting bargain prices. On the other hand, a luxury trunk IMHO is almost an oxymoron. A truck should be used for work. You don't need all that luxury options in a truck. There shouldn't be luxury trucks and trucks shouldn't cost $30K+ much less the $40K+ ones.
I don't think that luxury cars are supposed to be cheap or bargains but I feel that most are way overpriced for what you get and you are paying way too much for the name. When sitting in and driving many of these cars I just can't justify any reason for their prices that have to do with the actual car and what you get, many just seem only a little nicer then family sedans and entry level lux cars that are 20K+ less expensive. There are still luxury cars out that although they are not cheap or inexpensive they do offer alot of car for the money and are not overpriced to me.
Old 01-04-08, 12:22 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think all imports can qualify but Rams fully loaded are like $40k....that is a joke.

Would you take a Ram....or a new GS?
Old 01-04-08, 01:17 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think all imports can qualify but Rams fully loaded are like $40k....that is a joke.

Would you take a Ram....or a new GS?
How much does a fully loaded tundra cost? cause I'd get that over the ram
Old 01-04-08, 04:11 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would bet those are $35-40k loaded too.
Old 01-04-08, 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
How much does a fully loaded tundra cost? cause I'd get that over the ram

With all due honesty, I don't think you will like the new Tundra, despite its well-engineered drivetrain and underpinnings. Its sheet metal and both exterior and interior hardware/trim are C-H-E-A-P. Toyota simply cut too many costs on the surface of this truck...though what is under the surface is fine.
Old 01-04-08, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In general, among mass-produced cars, despite their well-known crash safety, I'd have to rate Mercedes vehicles among the Most Overpriced. Considering what they cost, their level of reliability is simply unacceptable. This is also true, to some extent, with Jaguar and Land Rover.
Old 01-04-08, 07:12 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i don't know about you guys, but i would put up the new landcruiser, as much as i like it, also almost all mercedes
Old 01-04-08, 08:01 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
i don't know about you guys, but i would put up the new landcruiser, as much as i like it, also almost all mercedes
The thing about Land Cruisers (and Mercedes in general) is that it's iconic.

People can pay less for something else, but when it comes to classic ruggedness (Land Cruiser) or excessive luxury (Mercedes), some people are willing to pay top dollar for it.

For example, Land Rover is iconic. It's as reliable as a $10 toaster, but people pay more than the price of a Land Cruiser for it...
Old 01-04-08, 08:10 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In general, among mass-produced cars, despite their well-known crash safety, I'd have to rate Mercedes vehicles among the Most Overpriced. Considering what they cost, their level of reliability is simply unacceptable. This is also true, to some extent, with Jaguar and Land Rover.
Absolutely! Less reliable cars should cost less than their more reliable counterparts. I don't know how MB, BMW, and Audi get away with it. I mean, really, who wants a nice POS?
Old 01-04-08, 09:17 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I was sure there were going to be some Benzes and Porsches on there... maybe even Audis.

I consider pretty much the entire Merc lineup ridiculously overpriced. And it's not just because of their reliability... base models of many of those cars really do not have THAT much to offer for their price, IMO. Plus, they are overweight, underpowered.

This list seems to be less based on educated opinions of cars, and more based on what will please readers the most.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 01-04-08 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Forbes' Most Overpriced Vehicles