Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Virginia Aggressive Driving Fee Update - Traffic Deaths are Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 09:59 PM
LexFather

Post Virginia Aggressive Driving Fee Update - Traffic Deaths are Up

Since the fees, which target drivers convicted of such serious offenses as reckless driving and driving under the influence, took effect July 1, 519 people have died on Virginia roads, 10 more than in the second half of last year, state figures show. The 2006 total was 961 traffic deaths.

Both backers and opponents of the fees cautioned that it might be too early to draw conclusions on the effect they have had on road safety, but some said the 1,000th road death is a stark reminder that in this crucial category, at least so far, results are lackluster.

"I'm not a traffic expert," said incoming state Sen. J. Chapman "Chap" Petersen (D-Fairfax), who favors repealing the fees and won office in November, in part, on a campaign that derided them. But "the fact that our highway fatalities have not decreased -- if anything, they're higher -- I think this just underscores the fact that this legislation did not make our highways more safe, which, as I recall, was one of the primary reasons . . . articulated for the abuser fees."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122901663.html

Old 01-03-08, 10:22 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

If they were serious about the entire situation they'd scrap this bull**** and redesign the tests and make them realistic.

Also re-think the entire idea of enforcing incredibly low speed limits.

It's time to rebuild the system from scratch, the more we wait, the harder it'll be.
Old 01-04-08, 07:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You have to consider VA's tremendous growth in population and traffic, though, particularly in NoVA and the DC suburbs....some of the highest in the country (trust me.....I deal with it regularly). It compares to, or exceeds, in many places, even the hyper-growing Southwest. So the RATE of traffic accidents and deaths can go down even if the total number stays the same or increases.

And VA's speed limits, in many places, are not unrealistically low considering the driving conditions. On many miles of VA roadways, you can't do the limit anyway because of congestion and constant stop signs/lights. And I-66 and I-95 can be a parking lot for miles during the morning and afternoon rush hours. .
Old 01-04-08, 07:28 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

VA ftl........
Old 01-04-08, 12:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I had a Virginia or Maryland pickup driver almost run me off the road when I was heading down to Alabama for the holidays, should have put more effort into calling the police to get him off the road now that I see he would have got a huge fine, he got his though.
Old 01-04-08, 12:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I had a Virginia or Maryland pickup driver almost run me off the road when I was heading down to Alabama for the holidays, should have put more effort into calling the police to get him off the road now that I see he would have got a huge fine, he got his though.
Doesn't do much good reporting it anyway if the cops themselves don't see it.
Old 01-04-08, 01:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Doesn't do much good reporting it anyway if the cops themselves don't see it.
That is why I did not keep trying to call, I know someone who reported a dangerous/drunk driver and the idiot cop pulled my friend over who reported it and gave him a bunch of tickets for no reason and not the guy who almost ran him and too people off the road. The cop and dispatcher could care less they got the wrong guy.
Old 01-04-08, 03:08 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question is is whether speeders, especially those intoxicated, would rather run from the cops than stop and face these crazy fines, and therefor put more lives at risk.
Old 01-04-08, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by leedogg
The question is is whether speeders, especially those intoxicated, would rather run from the cops than stop and face these crazy fines, and therefor put more lives at risk.
If they get caught, it could be a lot worse than fines. I'd rather pay a thousand bucks than be some convict's boyfriend.