Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Supra and 335? Friend or Foe? Both 35k, which one for you?
BMW 335, class and performance. New tech and just as fast.
24.10%
Toyota Supra, performance and dash. Urban Legend, so sexy to look at.
48.19%
I want to vote that both are just stellar and are great engineering efforts by BMW/Toyota.
24.10%
Mugen Civic Type J SH-AWD A-spec ftmfw
8.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

FightClub! BMW 335 vs Toyota MK IV Supra..friend or foe? (please keep it clean)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 11:46 PM
LexFather

Talking FightClub! BMW 335 vs Toyota MK IV Supra..friend or foe? (please keep it clean)

Okay gang, here we go. We have touched this before but its time for its own thread. Its a new year and this will be fireworks.

In ONE CORNER, we have a 2 door, 4 seat, Asian tt I-6 with 320hp and weighs around 3400lbs back in 1993. He is older and is a sports car. Well built but little luxury but has an oil dipstick (lol). Can be modded with ease. Has image of being a ***** out sports car with insane levels of power when modded. One of the import tuners dream cars.

In the OTHER CORNER, we have a 2 door, 4 seat (that can actually seat people) German tt I-6 with 300hp and weighs around 3500lbs in 2008 Well built with some more luxury and way more tech. Can be modded with ease. Has the image of being a great seller and arguably best in class.

So far yet so close these 2 are. Can someone post some 3 review scans with a spec sheet (one of the BMW guys, I can't find any).

I am kind of tickled that if you wanted a turbo 4 seat car and you had a SUpra, wouldn't the 3 be somewhat a logical choice in 335 form? 15 years have passed but the power is nearly the same in both cars.

New appreciation for the stock 2JZ?

Old 01-03-08, 11:58 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly think it is just too different in times to compare. On one hand the Supra was a massive powerhouse for its time and still today. A few questions though would be what was the stock boost at that time? What is the stock boost for the 335i today? Both are inline 6, but I don't recall the stock boost levels.

Also, the Supra according to the two articles you posted was $36K and $40K. The 335i Sedan starts below $36k today, and the 335i Coupe isn't that much more. $40K in 1993 compared to $40K today is a big difference. The Supra at its end was really expensive, and in comparison the 335i may be a bargain when prices are adjusted.

335i also has a lot more luxury options, standard federal mandates and all that adds weight. In comparison to 1993, the Supra in a way was kind of heavy considering it doesn't carry what todays cars much have.

Either way, both great cars in their time. I for one think it is a little too far apart in age to directly compare the two. Should be fun to see what others come up with though.
Old 01-04-08, 12:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I honestly think it is just too different in times to compare. On one hand the Supra was a massive powerhouse for its time and still today. A few questions though would be what was the stock boost at that time? What is the stock boost for the 335i today? Both are inline 6, but I don't recall the stock boost levels.

Also, the Supra according to the two articles you posted was $36K and $40K. The 335i Sedan starts below $36k today, and the 335i Coupe isn't that much more. $40K in 1993 compared to $40K today is a big difference. The Supra at its end was really expensive, and in comparison the 335i may be a bargain when prices are adjusted.

335i also has a lot more luxury options, standard federal mandates and all that adds weight. In comparison to 1993, the Supra in a way was kind of heavy considering it doesn't carry what todays cars much have.

Either way, both great cars in their time. I for one think it is a little too far apart in age to directly compare the two. Should be fun to see what others come up with though.
Oh, I'm with you and I am not saying one is better than the other. I'm "tickled" by their similarities and differences. So different yet so similar.

Old 01-04-08, 12:32 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both cars are beautiful and amazing. I agree with you guys though, two different times, and all that....

But there is no way I would pick a 335i over a Supra. For a 1993 model to be so advanced as to being able to compete with cars built over 15 years later is amazing... It was just ahead of its time. If the 1993 Supra was never released until 2007, I dont think anybody would have thought it was made in 1993.

All Hail to the SUPRA
Old 01-04-08, 12:33 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Supra hands down! The "germans" had 15 freaking years to try and rip it off, and still couldn't make it run right. Not to mention that the Supra still looks sexy, and just keeps getting sexier and sexier year after year, and the 3 series is plain ugly.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-04-08 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Please refrain from using "Nazi" to describe the German companies
Old 01-04-08, 01:56 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm one of the original Supra TT owner here, got my TT 6sp some 13 years ago(i'm a old man lol)...spend the few of my high school years in it... to be honest for stock to stock and everyday use I would take the 335 no doubt in my mind... but if i were to do a special project and want 1000hp + show car i don't mind picking up a Supra again..
Old 01-04-08, 04:34 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

That's a hard choice I guess you can say I'm old school. So I'll go with the mkiv this time but I would love to own them both turn the supra into a 800hp plus weekend monster and have the 335i for daily driving.
Old 01-04-08, 07:21 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i voted supra. reliability for one. much easier tunability for another; esp. the pre obdII cars. modern turbo cars are much harder to modify and tune. my interests lie in the modifying them, so the supra is much easier to make stupid fast. i have no interest in either one if i had to drive them unmodified.
Old 01-04-08, 08:21 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I'd pick GTR. lol
Old 01-04-08, 08:43 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Supra hands down! The ****'s had 15 freaking years to try and rip it off, and still couldn't make it run right. Not to mention that the Supra still looks sexy, and just keeps getting sexier and sexier year after year, and the 3 series is plain ugly.
this was a severely douche-like post. congrats

BTW, I owned a 97 BPU 6-spd, so no bias here
Old 01-04-08, 09:32 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

One thing I don't like about the Supra is that it's a dog off the line if you don't rev high and slip the clutch. I've never driven the 335, but from what I've read, the torque comes in very early.
Old 01-04-08, 09:41 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ill take both!!!

the bmw for the daily beater and the supra for the weekend toy!!!
Old 01-04-08, 10:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Love the Supra, but for me it's now too old, I'd go with the 335.
Old 01-04-08, 11:24 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll take the Supra. rare, fast, a true sports car.
Old 01-04-08, 11:25 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Mike, why don't you get a petion started to show toyota to bring the Supra back

Quick Reply: FightClub! BMW 335 vs Toyota MK IV Supra..friend or foe? (please keep it clean)