Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your Dealer is Probably Spying on You!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 07:05 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Dealer is Probably Spying on You!

This interesting article is from: AutoSpies Auto News. A great News site.

How would YOU feel if you found out tomorrow that every confidential phone call you were making to a salesperson, in any business, was being recorded?
And then every night, the sales managers were listening to your calls with the employees and critiquing and coaching the salesperson's sales technique.

Well that's EXACTLY what most car dealers are doing EVERY single time you call the dealership. Most are now using a system called “Who's Calling” that records all the calls coming into the sales department.

Then, every night, the sales managers listen to all the calls that came in that day and then chew the salespeople out for not closing the deal or using the “right techniques.”

You'll know if they have it if, while you are on hold it says .. "Your call MAY be recorded for customer service purposes." Yea, right .. Customer service! LOL!

Ever get a random call from a sales manager at a dealership later in the evening and wonder why? It's because he or she just reviewed the call you made earlier with one of their salespeople and they thought their person blew it, so they need to fix things and close the deal.

Because he is the almighty sales manager who was probably promoted to manager because he COULDN'T sell!

The Spies recommends being EXTREMELY careful what you say when you talk to your dealer .. because you probably ARE being spied. Be careful what kind of info you share, like credit scores, ssn numbers, home addresses, etc.

GOD only knows what they can do with it if it gets in hands of a disgruntled employee, or should we even say, converted to mp3 and put on a website?

We say BUYER BEWARE!

Let us know how you feel about this now common practice at car dealers.

Big Jimm

Last edited by Big Jimm; 01-05-08 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-05-08, 08:22 AM
timer00
Pole Position

Not surprised that this happens same thing happens at call centers for customer support. I worked the largest .com domain company (you can probably guess) and every call was recorded and some were reviewed by your "team leader" pfft and then you got chewed out and sometimes they would personally call that person or company back if you f'd up reallllll bad.

Every-time I call some company and they say this call may be recorded blah blah I just start saying a bunch of bs in between the music and someone answering the call just for fun !!
Old 01-05-08, 09:13 AM
lexusrott
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
This interesting article is from: AutoSpies Auto News. A great News site.

How would YOU feel if you found out tomorrow that every confidential phone call you were making to a salesperson, in any business, was being recorded?
And then every night, the sales managers were listening to your calls with the employees and critiquing and coaching the salesperson's sales technique.

Well that's EXACTLY what most car dealers are doing EVERY single time you call the dealership. Most are now using a system called “Who's Calling” that records all the calls coming into the sales department.

Then, every night, the sales managers listen to all the calls that came in that day and then chew the salespeople out for not closing the deal or using the “right techniques.”

You'll know if they have it if, while you are on hold it says .. "Your call MAY be recorded for customer service purposes." Yea, right .. Customer service! LOL!

Ever get a random call from a sales manager at a dealership later in the evening and wonder why? It's because he or she just reviewed the call you made earlier with one of their salespeople and they thought their person blew it, so they need to fix things and close the deal.

Because he is the almighty sales manager who was probably promoted to manager because he COULDN'T sell!

The Spies recommends being EXTREMELY careful what you say when you talk to your dealer .. because you probably ARE being spied. Be careful what kind of info you share, like credit scores, ssn numbers, home addresses, etc.

GOD only knows what they can do with it if it gets in hands of a disgruntled employee, or should we even say, converted to mp3 and put on a website?

We say BUYER BEWARE!

Let us know how you feel about this now common practice at car dealers.

Big Jimm

Hi Big Jimm
Now that I have read your post it makes a lot of sense.
I have been shopping around for a new LC/LX and just about each time I have called and spoked with a salesperson, later that day the sales manager would call out of the blue, inquiring if he/she could help or answer any questions.
Thank you, thank you.
rott
Old 01-05-08, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Simple. Just call the guy on his cell phone.........virtually every salesman has one nowadays.
Old 01-05-08, 10:27 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually never call the dealer except to make a service appointment. If I want to inquire or look at a car I just go down to the dealership. You still have to be just as careful though. The last time my wife and I bought a car (This past June) we actually used Text Message to communicate sensitive information. Otherwise everything else was just random casual talk or BS.
Old 01-06-08, 03:29 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For salespeople, this is genius, simply genius.
Old 01-06-08, 03:42 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

This is old news as dealerships have been recording sales and service calls for years.

Who's calling is accessible via internet, but before that they used "secret shoppers" and sent in recorded cassette tapes. The managers play them back during sales meetings and critique you in front of everyone. It's sort of like in professional sports when they video tape players and the coaches critique player's form.

FYI, the only people at dealerships with access are managers/owners so I wouldn't be too worried about any private info getting "leaked" out. I've never heard of it happening before.

Old 01-06-08, 04:23 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

They record our parts calls too..eh, its just business I guess. Still, be careful what you give and to who.
Old 01-07-08, 01:30 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

So, Auto Spies is finally making up their own stories now instead of stealing posts from clublexus and other forums to turn it into news.

I will never forget how the auto spies used one of my posts back in mid-2003 for a good laugh and quick news story.

On the bright side, this is an interesting article and good post. Credit where credit is due. Thanks.
Old 01-07-08, 05:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

couldnt care less if they record my call or not, anything to improve customer service
Old 01-07-08, 10:35 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I've read and always wondered if the sales offices were bugged too. They are always too eager to leave you alone in their office to discuss the sale with your spouse. The phone call recording is no big surprise or worry to me.
Old 01-07-08, 11:25 AM
NJPaul
Driver School Candidate

Years ago that's what they did. There was a hidden microphone in the cubicle where the buyers would sit after the salesman went to "discuss the offer with the manager". They would listen to everything that was said and then get back to you with their price.
I'm sure that this is now an invasion of privacy, but we are talking about car dealers here....
Old 01-07-08, 01:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
I've read and always wondered if the sales offices were bugged too. They are always too eager to leave you alone in their office to discuss the sale with your spouse.
I doubt it. This would be crossing the line, even for car dealers....and be an invasion of privacy.
Outside of law enforcement and intelligence purposes, it is also illegal to record someone without their knowledge and consent. That's how Linda Tripp got in trouble years ago in the Clinton-Monica scandal.
Old 01-07-08, 02:59 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I doubt it. This would be crossing the line, even for car dealers....and be an invasion of privacy.
Outside of law enforcement and intelligence purposes, it is also illegal to record someone without their knowledge and consent. That's how Linda Tripp got in trouble years ago in the Clinton-Monica scandal.
It may be an invasion of privacy, but you can bet it was and possibly still is going on. The key here is unlike the recorded phone calls in which they tell you the conversation may be recorded, they are NOT recoding it. There is no proof unless you find the hidden microphone. There have been so many ex car salesman that have confirmed the use of hidden mikes, and even the use of the speaker phone option to listen to customers. Now, one may argue that you can't even believe these car salesman because they are, well car salesmen but I'm willing to bet it still happens on some car dealerships across the nation.