Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Z4 M Coupe/Roadster discounts continue

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 02:02 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^ I agree. I liked the looks of the Z3 better than the Z4, though I must say, I am not bothered by the Z4 M Coupe's looks at all. I wouldnt mind driving one of these. What are they going for these days, real world pricing?
Old 01-11-08, 02:25 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
What are they going for these days, real world pricing?
Starting at 6-7k under MSRP appears to be the baseline. Last time I went to the BMW dealership for my roommate's service, they offered $6800 under on one of the models, off the bat, and I'm sure I could have haggled it down quite a bit more. A few new (and I'm sure very happy) Z4 M owners over on that bmw forum across the street have claimed discounts over 10k, including one who said he got nearly 15k off!
Old 01-11-08, 02:54 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kinda of a cool looking ride... i'd wait for 2-3 years before buying one though... maybe it will actually be reliable - who knows.
Old 01-11-08, 07:06 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
Starting at 6-7k under MSRP appears to be the baseline. Last time I went to the BMW dealership for my roommate's service, they offered $6800 under on one of the models, off the bat, and I'm sure I could have haggled it down quite a bit more. A few new (and I'm sure very happy) Z4 M owners over on that bmw forum across the street have claimed discounts over 10k, including one who said he got nearly 15k off!
Good to know they're being discounted that deeply. Something to keep in mind as I will be looking for another car spring/summer this year - this may be something to consider. I could NEVER paying the $50k+ MSRP on this car though.

Originally Posted by cliffud
kinda of a cool looking ride... i'd wait for 2-3 years before buying one though... maybe it will actually be reliable - who knows.
It came out as an '06 I believe so hopefully, if there are many issues, they will start to show up very soon - ideally, there aren't any though!
Old 01-16-08, 06:53 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I just think the Demand for a Z4 roadster is down because it's not as clean as the Z3 was. You talk about a good looking car, that Z3 was the best thing BMW ever did with a convertible, especially in 1999 when they widened those fenders and put fat tires on the back.
It's funny you should say that, because the Z3 was somewhat widely regarded, even here on CL, as a "chick's car". I never quite got it, particularly since I personally thought my M Roadster was the most aggressive looking 2-seater on the road at the time, but it would appear BMW took the feedback to heart in trying to make the Z4 look more angry and angular.

And I saw a Z8 in Scottsdale last week and it reminded me how beautiful that car was. THAT'S the best thing BMW ever did with a convertible!
Old 01-16-08, 09:45 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Iceman
And I saw a Z8 in Scottsdale last week and it reminded me how beautiful that car was. THAT'S the best thing BMW ever did with a convertible!
I remember seeing these cars in showrooms as well as some Alpina versions and always thought they were very nice.
Old 01-16-08, 09:57 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
It's funny you should say that, because the Z3 was somewhat widely regarded, even here on CL, as a "chick's car". I never quite got it, particularly since I personally thought my M Roadster was the most aggressive looking 2-seater on the road at the time, but it would appear BMW took the feedback to heart in trying to make the Z4 look more angry and angular.

I don't think I've ever seen a chick drive an M roadster...

You gotta be kidding if you regaurd the Z3 as a "chick's car."

That's MIATA territory.
Old 01-17-08, 10:20 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

I didn't think much of them until I saw one in person and rode around in it. I would take one in a heartbeat now. That little thing is a beast!
Old 01-17-08, 12:02 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is a hella fun machine, but I rather see myself in a 335 coupe even it is more pmt.
I don't want people see me in a shoe.
Old 01-17-08, 03:55 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen a chick drive an M roadster...
This is true for me too, but only because I've never even seen an M roadster on the street. I see more F430s in my area every week than I've seen Z4 Ms ever, period... I suppose if you're really looking for exclusivity, you should just get a car that nearly no one will buy.

You gotta be kidding if you regaurd the Z3 as a "chick's car."
Roadsters will always have a perception among the general populace of being chick cars. That's just the way it is. Even the Boxster gets maligned as such. The Z3 tends to get more flack because it was perceived as cheaply made and underpowered.

Frankly, I'm more bothered that so many people take offense to it being labeled as such.
Old 01-17-08, 08:15 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
The Z3 tends to get more flack because it was perceived as cheaply made and underpowered.
Maybe the early 4 cyl cars were "perceived as such", but I don't think the later model Z3s were ever "perceived" as cheaply made or underpowered.
Old 01-18-08, 12:39 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Maybe the early 4 cyl cars were "perceived as such", but I don't think the later model Z3s were ever "perceived" as cheaply made or underpowered.
We had a 99 Z3 2.8 in the family once...manual.

Now if none of you know what that means, it's the biggest engine available for the 3-series sedan.

That car was a beast if you knew how to drive it. The LS430 had a rough time holding on to it...but I mean hey, apples to oranges.