Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hyundai genesis (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 08:14 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Im sorry but Lexus had a completely different strategy, that is to be ahead of competition, instead of this "space of a 7 series, price of a 3 series". That is just an underdog attitude that commands no respect.
I see your point about the ad stategy. The ads aren't perfect but they're only 30 secs to say something. Hopefully other ads will point out all the other premium features offered. There's even a feature that only Rolls-Royce currently has (forgot what it is at the moment).

You have to admit that the car itself demands respect.
Old 02-03-08, 08:17 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
No. I'd rather drive a 1970 civic with 500,000 miles on the clock than a top of the line Genesis. In fact, I wouldn't even take a crap into the Genesis, never mind driving one. I have zero respect for them as a company, and I would be embarrased to be associated with them in any way.
Wow, now I know who I'm dealing with. Dude, build a time machine and get out of the 80's!

Don't you think a car that has earned the attention of a 12 page thread on a LEXUS forum is saying something? People are taking notice.
Old 02-03-08, 08:21 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

There's a 12 pg. thread in 'Car Chat' about this car

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=328301
Old 02-03-08, 08:22 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
No. I'd rather drive a 1970 civic with 500,000 miles on the clock than a top of the line Genesis. In fact, I wouldn't even take a crap into the Genesis, never mind driving one. I have zero respect for them as a company, and I would be embarrased to be associated with them in any way.
You couldn't possibly be serious in saying you'd rather drive a 1970 civic with 500k on the ODO than a loaded Genesis.

That's like saying you'd rather wipe with used toilet paper than fresh Charmin Ultra.
Old 02-03-08, 08:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I see your point about the ad stategy. The ads aren't perfect but they're only 30 secs to say something. Hopefully other ads will point out all the other premium features offered. There's even a feature that only Rolls-Royce currently has (forgot what it is at the moment).

You have to admit that the car itself demands respect.
It doesn't. Sure, it's a nice car overall, probably well comparable in features to the competition. However it doesn't bring anything new to the table, nothing that is worlds first, instead its a combination of ripped off designs and technologies.

Furthermore, if they are seriously planning to sell this car for 30K, then they are either:
1) Making no profit or selling it at a loss, hoping to eventually increase the price. But if they increase the price, noone will buy it.
2) They are making a profit because they do not spend money on R&D and rip off other comanies technologies, and taking advantage of Korean non existant labor laws.

Either way, lets admit it, if this car was priced like a 7 series, it would be the laughing stock of the auto industry.

Last edited by Och; 02-03-08 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 08:28 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I guess this is a lot better (especially with 500K added)
Attached Thumbnails hyundai genesis (merged threads)-1970_honda_civic-741253.jpg  
Old 02-03-08, 08:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
You couldn't possibly be serious in saying you'd rather drive a 1970 civic with 500k on the ODO than a loaded Genesis.

That's like saying you'd rather wipe with used toilet paper than fresh Charmin Ultra.
Your analogy is incorrect. I just can't be associated with Huyndai, because they command pity, not respect.

You do know that first gen Civic had more innovation and breakthrough technology than Genesis, right?
Old 02-03-08, 08:35 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
It doesn't. Sure, it's a nice car overall, probably well comparable in features to the competition. However it doesn't bring anything new to the table, nothing that is worlds first, instead its a combinated of ripped off designs and technologies.

Furthermore, if they are seriously planning to sell this car for 30K, then they are either:
1) Making no profit or selling it at a loss, hoping to eventually increase the price. But if they increase the price, noone will buy it.
2) They are making a profit because they do not spend money on R&D and rip off other comanies technologies, and taking advantage of Korean non existant labor laws.

Either way, lets admit it, if this car was priced like a 7 series, it would be the laughing stock of the auto industry.

Typically, the only cars that really bring new technologies to the table is the S, 7, & LS and then it get's down to lower models. No one is calling this a competitor to those cars. It competes with C, 3, and ES categories.
Old 02-03-08, 08:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think it looks great, and with numbers like that it should be fun to drive. I know its hyundai's first attempt at this segment of the market, but they are coming in with one hell of a contender. Lets see what the build quality will be like
Old 02-03-08, 08:39 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I was really impressed by the commercials and the car. I think this car is going to be a hit and is going to worry Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti the most. I don't know if the German competition Mercedes or BMW are too worried because people simply buy them for their names and they could turn the S class or 7 series into a complete utter POS and people would still buy them in droves just to have that BMW or Merc badge. But with Lexus, Acura, Infiniti who focus more on qaulity, reliability, and value getting more and more expensive and what many consider overpriced I think if the Genesis proves to be just as high in quality and reliability yet much less then it is going to steal alot of sales. There is definitely a market for people who want a large rwd v8 luxury car like a S class, 7series, LS460 but can't afford or won't pay over 70K for that vehicle but would get one if it was half the cost. The Genesis even undercuts the mid size/price competiton like the E class, 5 series, A6, GS, M, RL by around 15K and offers more room and horsepower for much less. I can see myself buying this car if it lives up to the hype, I buy cars based on the merits of the car not how prestigious other people think it is so I don't need a 30 or 40 thousand dollar more prestigious badge on a 40K car. I can't wait to take this car on a test drive. I just hope greedy dealers don't put markups on the car or else that is going to turn every sensible buyer away.
Old 02-03-08, 08:40 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw the ads during the Superbowl and at first glance I thought I was looking at an LS... haha
Old 02-03-08, 08:41 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Your analogy is incorrect. I just can't be associated with Huyndai, because they command pity, not respect.

You do know that first gen Civic had more innovation and breakthrough technology than Genesis, right?
Actually, with the way you stated it, my analogy seems pretty dead-on.

Why is it that all you can say about Hyundai is that they aren't innovative?

As an automaker what complaints do you have of their PRODUCTS?

Let's leave the "they aren't innovative" and "they copy other designs" and all that other nonsense you find so important and rate them as a carmaker.

A. Their cars are better than most IF NOT ALL domestics and it seems that they're becoming worthy competition to many imports both german and japanese.

B. Who cares if the car resembles something else on the road. You could say that about every other company. Let me as you: DOES IT LOOK GOOD? DOES IT DRIVE WELL? IS IT COMFORTABLE? FOR THE AVERAGE AMERICAN THAT CAN'T AFFORD BMW, MB, LEXUS, AUDI, ACURA... DOES THIS HYUNDAI DELIVER?

Get over yourself. I'd really like to see you head the design department at Hyundai and see what you can make. What innovative designs will you introduce? AIR FRESHNERS BUILT INTO THE DASH!!!!
Old 02-03-08, 08:44 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this car is going to shake things up. Seriously. saw the ads during the SB... wow. 375hp? really? wow.
Old 02-03-08, 08:47 PM
Mystery_is
Driver

I can't wait until the coupe comes out
Old 02-03-08, 08:52 PM
dr Lu
Driver

The only good that came out of this..is that it'll force other car companies to top them..gotta love competition..and yes..i will NEVER get a hyundai.

Quick Reply: hyundai genesis (merged threads)