Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hyundai genesis (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 08:57 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hehehe. a lot of people here sound a lot like those who owned german cars when lexus first came out.
Old 02-03-08, 09:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
Actually, with the way you stated it, my analogy seems pretty dead-on.

Why is it that all you can say about Hyundai is that they aren't innovative?

As an automaker what complaints do you have of their PRODUCTS?

Let's leave the "they aren't innovative" and "they copy other designs" and all that other nonsense you find so important and rate them as a carmaker.
Ok, so like you have said, let's leave the "they aren't innovative" and "they copy other designs" nonesense. Let's just go back in automotive history a few decades back, and lets look at the domestic manufacturers. Before the Japanese came into the US auto market, the domestic manufacturers kept on building crappy, low tech cars, and in fact most of GM products all the way up though late 90ies weren't much different from the crap they built in the 60ies. So yeah, if the Japanese didn't come in with their "innovative" nonesense, we would still be driving gas guzzling, carburated, fume spitting crapmobiles.

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
A. Their cars are better than most IF NOT ALL domestics and it seems that they're becoming worthy competition to many imports both german and japanese.

B. Who cares if the car resembles something else on the road. You could say that about every other company. Let me as you: DOES IT LOOK GOOD? DOES IT DRIVE WELL? IS IT COMFORTABLE? FOR THE AVERAGE AMERICAN THAT CAN'T AFFORD BMW, MB, LEXUS, AUDI, ACURA... DOES THIS HYUNDAI DELIVER?

They aren't better, they are just cheaper. You know as well as I do, they wouldn't sell if they didn't undercut their competitions prices. But like I said before, they are cheaper because they do not spend on R&D. You have Japanese, German and Domestic auto makers with their share of innovation, and you currently have the Japanese working on the hybrid technologies, and Germans are working on the new clean diesels. Not to mention hydrogen and other alternative fuel prototypes. R&D costs money, and this is why Camry costs more than a Sonata.

But lets say if everyone in America started buying Hyundai's because they are cheaper, and all other manufacturers would be forced to cease their R&D programs in order to lower their prices and stay cometitive with Huyndai. We would have the same thing as we once had with domestic manufacturers, virtually no progress in four decades.

So yeah, I would gladly change my mind on Hyundai if I see them trying to be innovative and developing new technologies. But right now, I don't want to be associated with them in any way.
Old 02-03-08, 09:19 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting commercial.
Old 02-03-08, 09:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Loved the Genesis commercial and I noticed the front grille is a LOT nicer than the ones we'd seen in earlier pics.

As someone earlier said, those that say they'd "never" buy a Hyundai, or that Hyundai is just a cheap knock-off sounds exactly like others did about 30 years ago when the early Toyotas, Hondas, and Datsuns showed up.

And if you think Hyundai's a cheap knock-off, wait until the first Chinese junkers start going on sale.
Old 02-04-08, 11:47 AM
ahearn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Hyundai is doing is showing that luxury, good looks, features, and performance can come at a lower price point. Even though I own a Lexus, I feel I'm paying a premium price for the logo, as do BMW and Mercedes owners. For those who can accept the fact that Hyundai does not (yet) enjoy the same symbolic status, it may offer them a way to enjoy a great car at a great price (lots of assumptions here).
Old 02-04-08, 01:05 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

The Genesis Commerical was pretty good. The looks of the car just stood out espacially with 375 HP..
Old 02-04-08, 01:44 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Hyundai continues to impress me.
Old 02-04-08, 02:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
They aren't better, they are just cheaper. You know as well as I do, they wouldn't sell if they didn't undercut their competitions prices. But like I said before, they are cheaper because they do not spend on R&D. You have Japanese, German and Domestic auto makers with their share of innovation, and you currently have the Japanese working on the hybrid technologies, and Germans are working on the new clean diesels. Not to mention hydrogen and other alternative fuel prototypes. R&D costs money, and this is why Camry costs more than a Sonata.
Maybe they undercut their competition, but that's not enough.

Mitsubishi offers cars that are cheaper--and they struggle every year. And some of Mitsu's cars ARE innovative. The outgoing Chevy Malibu undercut the Accord and Camry, and didnt compete. We could make a long list.

They don't have to be better--just as good. And if they aren't there, they are getting close. They offer a 10 year warranty--if their cars were as crappy as when they first introduced them, they'd be losing their shirts.
Old 02-06-08, 01:12 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ahearn
What Hyundai is doing is showing that luxury, good looks, features, and performance can come at a lower price point. Even though I own a Lexus, I feel I'm paying a premium price for the logo, as do BMW and Mercedes owners. For those who can accept the fact that Hyundai does not (yet) enjoy the same symbolic status, it may offer them a way to enjoy a great car at a great price (lots of assumptions here).

This sounds exactly what Acura and Lexus did when they first came to the USA. Hyundai is following exactly in the same footsteps that Acura and Lexus have traveled. Everyone has to start somewhere and I say if two other Japanese companies paved the path for you, might as well take the same road. No sense in Hyundai trying to reinvent the wheel. Start off with a very competitive car for cheaper, then gain credibility over time, then you can significantly raise the price like Lexus after a decade or so.

At the same price point of an ES350, I'd take the Genesis all day. At the same price point as a GS350, I'd take the GS though. At $30-$35K for the Genesis, I'd seriously consider it over a $50K GS350.
Old 02-06-08, 09:23 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

After experiencing 06 c230 for 2 yrs now and acura legend for a long time I feel I've paid(actually my wife did just before she met me) premium for the brand/name. Genesis with c-class price tag.. I'd get genesis any day.
Old 02-06-08, 08:55 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Genesis V8 could get supercharger and direct-injection

Genesis V8 could get supercharger and direct-injection

Posted on Wednesday 6 February 2008

Hyundai’s new Genesis flagship sedan was on display today at the Chicago Auto Show in full production trim for the first time. The car was previously shown at the Detroit show but it was presented with two different grilles, one with the regular Hyundai ‘H’ and the other with a set of four horizontal bars and a divider down the middle. After studying the reaction to both grilles, the decision was made to drop the traditional H logo and go with something new.

The Genesis is now ready for its U.S. sales launch, penciled in for summer, and will available with both V6 and V8 powerplants. Speaking with Automotive News, Hyundai product development boss John Krafcik said that only about 20% of Genesis sales will be the V8 model. The new 4.6L DOHC unit is Hyundai’s first V8 and was fully designed in-house by its own engineers.

The brand new engine doesn’t feature modern fuel-saving technologies like direct-injection and cylinder deactivation, but Krafcik said those features could be added, claiming engineers have left the door open for them. Krafcik also mentioned that a supercharger could be added to create a high-performance sports model, which could mean we’ll have a Hyundai V8 muscle car pushing more than 400hp.
via motorauthority
Old 02-06-08, 09:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
This sounds exactly what Acura and Lexus did when they first came to the USA. Hyundai is following exactly in the same footsteps that Acura and Lexus have traveled. Everyone has to start somewhere and I say if two other Japanese companies paved the path for you, might as well take the same road. No sense in Hyundai trying to reinvent the wheel. Start off with a very competitive car for cheaper, then gain credibility over time, then you can significantly raise the price like Lexus after a decade or so.

At the same price point of an ES350, I'd take the Genesis all day. At the same price point as a GS350, I'd take the GS though. At $30-$35K for the Genesis, I'd seriously consider it over a $50K GS350.
Acura and Lexus took very different paths and it shows like night and day. Acura rebadged Hondas and kept (still) keeps them related. Lexus spent over 1 billion on the LS and it showed, like Hyundai, creating an ENTIRELY NEW CAR . Acura never did that outside the NSX.

Hyundai has surpassed any sedan Acura has made in one fell swoop with this car, as they REFUSE to build a V-8, RWD and even a 6 speed auto. The interior is as luxurious if not more so than anything they have made.

Genesis totally 100% > Acura. We can argue it being better than some Lexus but not ALL of them.

Old 02-06-08, 09:07 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Robarapta
via motorauthority
Wow, does the news just get any better? I hope the reviews are good for this car.

Old 02-06-08, 09:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
After experiencing 06 c230 for 2 yrs now and acura legend for a long time I feel I've paid(actually my wife did just before she met me) premium for the brand/name. Genesis with c-class price tag.. I'd get genesis any day.
Agreed - I wouldn't pay a premium for a brand name unless the actual vehicle is really special.
Old 02-06-08, 09:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Acura and Lexus took very different paths and it shows like night and day. Acura rebadged Hondas and kept (still) keeps them related. Lexus spent over 1 billion on the LS and it showed, like Hyundai, creating an ENTIRELY NEW CAR . Acura never did that outside the NSX.
Lexus never did that outside of the LS either.

SC = rebadged Soarer.
GS = rebadged Aristo.
IS = rebadged Altezza.
GX = souped up 4Runner.
LX = souped up Land Cruiser.
ES = souped up Camry, not really a Lexus.
RX = rebadged Harrier, heavily based on Camry, not really a Lexus.

And GS, IS, and SC also share quite a bit of parts with the Supra. Not that it's a bad thing.

In any case, you got to admit that Acura Legend, the 1991-1995 models, especially the coupe was amazing.

Hyundai has surpassed any sedan Acura has made in one fell swoop with this car, as they REFUSE to build a V-8, RWD and even a 6 speed auto. The interior is as luxurious if not more so than anything they have made.
Unfortunately ever since year 2000 Acura has been steadily degrading. They still have a few nice cars, such as TL-S, MDX (minus grille), the current RL, but with this new RL it's clear that Acura is aiming for self destruction. Expect them to bastardize their entire line up in the most near future.

Genesis totally 100% > Acura. We can argue it being better than some Lexus but not ALL of them.
Well, Genesis is still a Hyundai, and I don't think they spent anywhere nearly as much developing this car as Lexus spent on the LS. The car isn't available yet, and it is yet to be seen whether it lives up to the hype. Judging from the pictures/specs, the car doesn't bring anything new or original or special to the table. The only thing it has going for itself is the price. But so does the Sonata, yet Accord and Camry easily outsell it.

Quick Reply: hyundai genesis (merged threads)