Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hyundai genesis (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-08, 09:09 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
I did some research on 'Lexicon' audio systems and only other brand that offers this setup is Rolls Royce! Never heard of it before but I guess it must be one of the best to be found in Rolls Royce vehicles.

Och-Hondas and Toyotas were innovative in ever since the beginning?? I don't know what you're smokin' but you need to get your facts straight. They were the POS's the same way Hyundai's were
I don't know about their history in Japanese market, but like I said, in the US market Honda and Toyota were innovative from the start. Maybe they didn't come with leather seats and V8 engines like Caddilacs, but instead they were innovative when it came to fuel efficiency, emissions and reliability.
Old 02-09-08, 09:57 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Lexus never did that outside of the LS either.

SC = rebadged Soarer.
GS = rebadged Aristo.
IS = rebadged Altezza.
GX = souped up 4Runner.
LX = souped up Land Cruiser.
ES = souped up Camry, not really a Lexus.
RX = rebadged Harrier, heavily based on Camry, not really a Lexus.

And GS, IS, and SC also share quite a bit of parts with the Supra. Not that it's a bad thing.

In any case, you got to admit that Acura Legend, the 1991-1995 models, especially the coupe was amazing.

Unfortunately ever since year 2000 Acura has been steadily degrading. They still have a few nice cars, such as TL-S, MDX (minus grille), the current RL, but with this new RL it's clear that Acura is aiming for self destruction. Expect them to bastardize their entire line up in the most near future.

Well, Genesis is still a Hyundai, and I don't think they spent anywhere nearly as much developing this car as Lexus spent on the LS. The car isn't available yet, and it is yet to be seen whether it lives up to the hype. Judging from the pictures/specs, the car doesn't bring anything new or original or special to the table. The only thing it has going for itself is the price. But so does the Sonata, yet Accord and Camry easily outsell it.
How could you say the es and rx aren't real lexus' ? have you driven them? have you compared the camry to the es? have youcompared the lc to the lx? this is a joke, either your standards are way to high or you just like being the downer of the group. The genisis is a great car, from what we have seen and thats all you can ask for. Sure it isn't innovative, but what else do you want, the car to drive itself? what a joke. if you have nothing positive to say about this car, along with other lexus models, don't say anything at all.
Old 02-09-08, 10:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jmd93
How could you say the es and rx aren't real lexus' ? have you driven them? have you compared the camry to the es? have youcompared the lc to the lx? this is a joke, either your standards are way to high or you just like being the downer of the group. The genisis is a great car, from what we have seen and thats all you can ask for. Sure it isn't innovative, but what else do you want, the car to drive itself? what a joke. if you have nothing positive to say about this car, along with other lexus models, don't say anything at all.
Go drive the ES and then LS/GS, and then tell me if the ES is a real Lexus.
Old 02-09-08, 10:32 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

i have and considering it is almost 10 dollars less, i can. of course those cars ride better becuase they are a lot more expensive. why dont you call the 3 series not a real bmw because it doesn't ride like a 7
Old 02-09-08, 11:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

i have and considering it is almost 10 dollars less, i can. of course those cars ride better becuase they are a lot more expensive. why dont you call the 3 series not a real bmw because it doesn't ride like a 7
Why, I've always said that 3 series, especially the popular past gen 325 is a poseur car that can't hold a candle to a V6 Accord or much less TL. It's 180hp engine and CD player that skipped when you drove over bumps were nothing short of pathetic.

Last edited by Och; 02-09-08 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-09-08, 12:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

hmm well i guess you are entitled to your opinion, but i still think that just because a 35-44 grand car doesn't mean it doesn't drive like a flagship model doesn't mean it isn't a "true" luxury car. unless you would much rather drive a honda civic with 500,000 miles than a "not real lexus"
Old 02-09-08, 12:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

hmm well i guess you are entitled to your opinion, but i still think that just because a 35-44 grand car doesn't mean it doesn't drive like a flagship model doesn't mean it isn't a "true" luxury car. unless you would much rather drive a honda civic with 500,000 miles than a "not real lexus"
Well, you certainly have your point, but to me a FWD car, with drivetrain identical to Camry, just has no appeal. I'd rather spend more on a real luxury car then pay premium for a souped up Camry. As far as the Civic comment, that only applies to Hyundais.
Old 02-09-08, 12:25 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ hmm ok well we have our opinions thats why we have club lexus to express them on
Old 02-09-08, 12:35 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be the Hyundai vehcile that I like enough to get over the fact that it carries the Hyundai name, though I will reserve judgement until I can go check it out and drive it in person.

One thing I really like about this car is that even the base model V6 has decent power.
Old 02-09-08, 09:18 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't know about their history in Japanese market, but like I said, in the US market Honda and Toyota were innovative from the start. Maybe they didn't come with leather seats and V8 engines like Caddilacs, but instead they were innovative when it came to fuel efficiency, emissions and reliability.
OooKKK... hyundai should come up with 300hp 2 cyl engines and call it a day... that's an innovation for ya...

375 hp engine that can run on regular unleaded that's alsoefficient(relatively speaking of course) is an innovation. Again who started the long warranty trend? When people think of long warranties they think of hyundai, not suzuki's nor chrysler(now with lifetime powertrain warranty)

People didn't turn to efficient japanese cars b/c it was innovative. They bought it because of fuel efficiency which domestics didn't offer at that time.

Go stick with your 500K mile 20 yr old civic and keep yourself happy. I own a 'HONDA' legend myself with 200K miles now. Maybe once it reaches 500K I'll understand how you shop for cars

Last edited by KA8; 02-09-08 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-09-08, 11:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KA8
OooKKK... hyundai should come up with 300hp 2 cyl engines and call it a day... that's an innovation for ya...

375 hp engine that can run on regular unleaded that's alsoefficient(relatively speaking of course) is an innovation. Again who started the long warranty trend? When people think of long warranties they think of hyundai, not suzuki's nor chrysler(now with lifetime powertrain warranty)
Well, their warranty is non transferable, its only for the original owner, the second owner only gets 5 year/60K, so it's not even great.

Originally Posted by KA8
People didn't turn to efficient japanese cars b/c it was innovative. They bought it because of fuel efficiency which domestics didn't offer at that time.
Well maybe that's the innovation?

When Hyundai offers something that noone else offers, I'll consider one.
Old 02-10-08, 05:41 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope he doesnt mind me posting this on here...but this is the best chop ive seen for this car!!

ElPresidente via vipstylecars.com
Old 02-10-08, 05:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
not speaking about anything else, but FWD has its advantages. Better use of space is one, and easier drive is another.

I dont know how many unexperienced drivers preffer RWD over FWD.

I do know that my friends only complaint about 118d that he just got for his wife is that damn thing fishtails like crazy even with esp on and you really dont want that on tight european streets. And of course, back seats is much tighter than FWD vehicle.

So yeah, everything has its own merits and so does ES.
Old 02-10-08, 06:39 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Just to note.. When I was driving an 05 LS430, I test drove the ES350 and it felt the same. I was very surprised.. So I'm not sure what you mean..
Old 02-10-08, 07:19 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Well, you certainly have your point, but to me a FWD car, with drivetrain identical to Camry, just has no appeal. I'd rather spend more on a real luxury car then pay premium for a souped up Camry. As far as the Civic comment, that only applies to Hyundais.
Lexus does a great job differentiating the ES and RX from the Camry. While an ES is no longer for me, it is a Lexus inside and out. You are entitled to your opinion, others share it as well.

Quick Reply: hyundai genesis (merged threads)