Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hyundai genesis (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 03:49 PM
radeonboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice car, definately a steal if the car was 36K in Canada instead of US dollars. I'm pretty sure this will cost close to 40K in canada, which in this case I wouldn't consider it.

If I lived in Korea, I wouldn't mind getting one of these to go around. The only thing I don't really like in this car is the steering wheel. The design looks ugly and out of place compared to the rest of the interior design
Old 02-23-08, 05:46 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
People probably said that before the ES350 came out.
Very true.
Old 02-24-08, 06:48 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About Brand Snobishness

I noticed that in my previous thread the almost universal concern voiced about the new Hyundai Genesis was "it looks like a great car....but it's a HYUNDAI."

So a couple of things came to mind. Not the least of these was how short a memory most people have. Do any of you remember when Toyota and Honda were the laughing stocks of the auto biz? People derisively commented about them that they were "cute little toy cars" and that "no self respecting American would ever buy one." Now they are the most sought after economy and mid-sized cars on the market. Having effectively dominated those markets, that wasn't enough for them. They went after the entry level and full bore luxury markets with their premier divisions, Infinity and Lexus. We all know how that story played/is playing out.

Now we have a relative upstart in the form of Hyundai which is making a bold move into luxury territory and we are all too predictably dismissing it [derisively] as "just a Hyundai."

Perhaps if Hyundai separated the Gensis from it's overall lineup by creating it's own luxury car division a'la Lexus (Toyota) and Infinity (Honda)? I wonder if that would change any minds?

What was that about "those who don't learn from history....?"

Last edited by PsychDoc; 02-24-08 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-24-08, 07:02 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prior to WW2 it used to be said it's nice looking of goods and materials...But it's made in Japan pass on it....

It is getting a LOT of interest and on car chat thread so maybe look at thread on it over there, you can tell those "boys" are going to go check it out and some are going to take one home. even the V6 at what 290 hp seems a bargain at or slightly under 30k.

They will sell if they are quiet riding and lack issues.

If you begine to hear from owners that they travel down piston slap highway around flare hill to Broke Car Mountain, they will eventually be known for that and sales will decline.

I say when you are not the lead dog once in a while the view never changes

BTW: I used to be a brand bigot, loyalist or whatever is proper term for failing to look at all that is out there, never again, I'll go check out what others have on offer.

Last edited by ES350Bob; 02-24-08 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-24-08, 07:09 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
368 horsepower or not! this issue has been exhuasted in car chat and the verdict is that it is and always will be a hyundai.

the exterior is nice although it screams lexus, mercedes, acura and infiniti
the interior is hideous, and it fittingly screams hyundai
I don't think any verdict has been reached, seems jury is still out and ordering in pizza, six packs and dancing girls
Old 02-24-08, 08:37 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I don't think any verdict has been reached, seems jury is still out and ordering in pizza, six packs and dancing girls
I like how this man thinks.

I think a luxury brand would have helped it but do yall know how much MONEY and RESOURCES that would have taken?

One of the reasons Mazda dropped their "Amati" aspirations in the 1990s was escalating costs.

I also feel the luxury market is just over saturated now. Some luxury brands are faltering, some are selling but are average and even the big dogs are fighting more intensely. Its hard to find a bad or poor luxury vehicle today.

This being a Hyundai, may be an advantage some.

Old 02-24-08, 12:12 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I noticed that in my previous thread the almost universal concern voiced about the new Hyundai Genesis was "it looks like a great car....but it's a HYUNDAI."

So a couple of things came to mind. Not the least of these was how short a memory most people have. Do any of you remember when Toyota and Honda were the laughing stocks of the auto biz? People derisively commented about them that they were "cute little toy cars" and that "no self respecting American would ever buy one." Now they are the most sought after economy and mid-sized cars on the market. Having effectively dominated those markets, that wasn't enough for them. They went after the entry level and full bore luxury markets with their premier divisions, Infinity and Lexus. We all know how that story played/is playing out.
yes i would like to address this. we all know how great toyota has been blah blah blah, i love reading that lexus story. its such a "feel good" story. anywhoo, i also give a lot of respect for the japanese. as ES350bob mentioned, the japanese have always been given respect for their technology and their great products. Such brands come to mind, Sony, Panasonic, my parents even still go through the "buy the made in japan one". Japan has become a symbol for high quality.

now, back to hyundai. Korea has given us....Samsung? which in their defense has become quite popular. i even own a small samsung LCD in my kitchen. but back in the days samsung was not a "prestigious" brand, as hyundai is not.

the other part of his is that we are all on this site because at some point of our lives we have been toyota/lexus enthusiasts. Maybe I am a litte biased. maybe i feel threatened that this brand might just take sales away from lexus (might). lol. but your the psychdoc.

the point is...ill continue buying my cars from Japan, and ill continue buying my kimchee and hotpots from korea.
Old 02-24-08, 12:27 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

A company you may have heard of as well - LG, is a Korean company as well. They're only one of the biggest cell phone,appliance, and electronics companies around now. And well respected for quality and innovation.
Old 02-24-08, 12:34 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

yes i would like to address this. we all know how great toyota has been blah blah blah, i love reading that lexus story. its such a "feel good" story. anywhoo, i also give a lot of respect for the japanese. as ES350bob mentioned, the japanese have always been given respect for their technology and their great products. Such brands come to mind, Sony, Panasonic, my parents even still go through the "buy the made in japan one". Japan has become a symbol for high quality.

now, back to hyundai. Korea has given us....Samsung? which in their defense has become quite popular. i even own a small samsung LCD in my kitchen. but back in the days samsung was not a "prestigious" brand, as hyundai is not.

the other part of his is that we are all on this site because at some point of our lives we have been toyota/lexus enthusiasts. Maybe I am a litte biased. maybe i feel threatened that this brand might just take sales away from lexus (might). lol. but your the psychdoc.

the point is...ill continue buying my cars from Japan, and ill continue buying my kimchee and hotpots from korea.
Korea has given you Samsung, LG, helio, iriver, etc. Korea has jumped all over the electronics market. They're not just popular. They're quality. High quality.

And though we are toyota/Lexus enthusiasts, this is the CarChat forum where we can freely discuss our likes and/or dislikes of other automobiles and makers. You are entitled to your opinion .

But you've got to give them a lot of credit. Think of a Hyundai just 10 years ago and now look at them. Look beyond the so called "copied designs". Look at the quality of the car. It's fitnfinish is on par IF NOT BETTER than most other brands INCLUDING Toyota. The new Camry is a disgrace. This car has a 368 HP V8 powerplant. Acura has been in this market for how long? Where's the V8 at? The new RL looks like a matchbox toy next to the Hyundai Genesis.

Hyundai means business and they've made a pretty clear statement with this car.
Old 02-24-08, 12:44 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And I supposed Toyota, Honda, and Sony were all known initially as high quality stuff... hehe. Dare i say many of us grew up in the 80s when japanese gizmos came into the forefront with their advanced tech and quality already established. But there was a time when japanese goods were seen as cheaper, not better. Korean goods have progressed in quality and command a price parity with japanese products in many areas. Samsung LCD TVs come to mind. Their new Smart LED LCDs are head and tails above even Sony. The first Toyota in the US was... an utter failure and a rust bucket. The Korean industry is probably the strongest of the 5 tigers and it has done quicker what Japan has done before it. Now we have China and India to take the place of the old hyundai Excel.
Old 02-24-08, 01:14 PM
LexFather

Well guys let us not forget a lot of Toyota execs moved to Hyundai, including the guy who got in trouble for using Toyota documents and got caught using them at Hyundai.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/.../sxhyundai.php

Hyundai accused of stealing data from Toyota
Similar to how Porsche did a complete 180 production wise, by using the Toyota Method.

Old 02-24-08, 01:15 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i knew i would struck a nerve with my post, but i just couldnt keep myself from saying how i felt. lol
Old 02-24-08, 01:21 PM
LexFather

i knew i would struck a nerve with my post, but i just couldnt keep myself from saying how i felt. lol
IMO, it brings up a good point and the general public probably does feel that way.

Old 02-24-08, 03:51 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I haven't jumped and bought any Hyundai's myself. I didn't even look at the Veracruz when recently shopping for a SUV. That being said, I think they have come a long way since the Excel. The first time I stood up and noticed was when my friend bought a new sonata about 3 years ago and paid <$20k for a V6. Took a drive in it... I was blown away. The amount of car he got for the price was amazing, especially when the same price would have gotten you a 4 banger base model Camry. But looking at my sig, you can see I have a 2007 Camry... hehe. I respect the improvements Hyundai has made, but it's not until the Genesis and their new upcoming coupe that I can honestly say I want to test drive their cars.

As far as HDTVs go... Samsung for the win. They make the best on the market. Sony's are over priced and can't compete with Sammy's new smart LED screens, nor can any other LCD TVs. I'm not a plasma fan, so no Panny or Pio for me (not for picture quality reasons obviously).
Old 02-24-08, 04:01 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never really been a Toyota fan anyway. I like certain Lexus cars and don't like certain ones, and the only Toyota cars I like were the Supra, old MR-2's, and Celica All Track. Today, the only Toyota's I would buy is the Tacoma Truck and the Avalon. That said, I still think Hyundai with this new Genesis is a couple of notches down from Lexus, but it is major steps above anything Toyota has to offer. The Hyundai Genesis is kind of in hybrid land right now. It is clearly a step above (IMHO) than the top of the line Avalon. I'd put it above the Lexus ES350, but if cost were NOT a factor, it is a couple of notches below the GS350 over all.

For a first offering into the luxury car market I think Hyundai hit a home run. I would say the same back in 1986 with the Acura Legend and 1990 with the Lexus LS400. These were all home runs during their introductory times. If this is Hyundai's first luxury offering, I can only imagine what products they will come out with in the future. Lets as not forget that really good looking Genesis Coupe they were showing. Style wise that coupe was as good as anything offered today outside the exotic word.

Quick Reply: hyundai genesis (merged threads)