Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hyundai genesis (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 04:19 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
What makes it superior? I think that's a VERY relative term. What if someone wants sport? What if someone wants technology? what if someone wants all out luxury?

Seems to me you are describing value. Value does not equal superiority, there is a very distinct difference between the two.
I don't think people are expecting Hyundai to build products superior to other offerings and Hyundai doesn't have to. All they have to do is match and compete on the qualities of other cars while offering the better price and they have a winner. That's all they need to do. It doesn't have to be better than a Lexus to be successful.

Having said that, I think Hyundai (especially with Genesis) IS now superior to a lot of offerings especially American. That, along with the best value, puts Hyundai in a very good position.
Old 02-26-08, 05:26 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
2002 versus a 2006 or 7?

plus it wasnt wrinked leather, it was the leather being dyed by peoples pants. either that or the leather was losing its color of beige to black
If you review ES, GS forum you will see many complaints of rattles etc. 06, 07 and even 08. Comparing rattles in this day and age is not a good litmus test.

As to what appears as leather getting transfer of dye from different types of pants, clothes, that happens and can be cleaned.
Old 02-26-08, 08:17 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

As to what appears as leather getting transfer of dye from different types of pants, clothes, that happens and can be cleaned.
"The interior was just too difficult to keep clean, and this went for the leather-upholstered seat as well. What began as a mysterious black smudge across the back of the driver seat resisted three attempts at cleansing with leather care products." -insideline

oh and it is a 2007

"A year with the Azera reminded us that there are two sides to value. The bright side offers features unexpected from a car in this class, like rain-sensing wipers, automatic headlights and a rear window shade. On the dark side we find misaligned panels, material choices of questionable quality and poor stereo performance. The 2007 Hyundai Azera made a positive impression on us, yet we're still not willing to think of it as a premium car. It's attractive and certainly as reliable as a Hyundai Sonata, but it doesn't yet have a character to call its own." -insideline

i think that pretty much sums it up. its a cow in a silk dress

Last edited by RXSF; 02-26-08 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-26-08, 08:31 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What were we talking about?

Oh yeah... who wants me to build a VIP Genesis?

Working on getting one...
Old 02-26-08, 08:54 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
What were we talking about?

Oh yeah... who wants me to build a VIP Genesis?

Working on getting one...
That would be sick, go for it
Old 02-26-08, 09:04 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I don't think people are expecting Hyundai to build products superior to other offerings and Hyundai doesn't have to. All they have to do is match and compete on the qualities of other cars while offering the better price and they have a winner. That's all they need to do. It doesn't have to be better than a Lexus to be successful.

Having said that, I think Hyundai (especially with Genesis) IS now superior to a lot of offerings especially American. That, along with the best value, puts Hyundai in a very good position.
Exactly my point, you are not describing a superior product, you are describing a product that is a better value.
Old 02-26-08, 09:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Exactly my point, you are not describing a superior product, you are describing a product that is a better value.
You make a good point. When you look at Sonata and Azera for example, they are both very good values. They both offer a lot for the $$, and have a growing niche in the market. But their actual sales still lag behind those of the cars they compete against (Accord, Camry, Altima, Malibu, Lucerne, ES, TL etc.).

You have to give Hyundai credit though, they are forging ahead with new/improved vehicles at a fast pace. How well the Genesis does vs. its competition, remains to be seen, but it's an interesting sounding car.
Old 02-29-08, 11:51 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I think that it's bad move by Hyundai to sell the car without a badge on the grill. It's already got an anonymous exterior and with no badge on the grill it will be even more anonymous.

I also can't say enough about how dissapointing that 4.6L V8 engine is. Only 333 lb-ft torque with premium fuel? Yes the 375HP is quite nice, but the torque figure is quite low. The old Lexus 4.3L V8 had almost the same amount of torque.

The Lexus 4.6L V8 has far more torque than this engine.

I'm also pretty sure the Hyundai V8 won't be able to match the fuel economy and refinement of the Lexus V8.

To be clear I think it's a great achievement that Hyundai has designed their own production V8 (before Honda/Acura I might add) but I'm just not that impressed with it. To me it's competitive but nothing more.
Old 02-29-08, 12:08 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I think that it's bad move by Hyundai to sell the car without a badge on the grill. It's already got an anonymous exterior and with no badge on the grill it will be even more anonymous.

I also can't say enough about how dissapointing that 4.6L V8 engine is. Only 333 lb-ft torque with premium fuel? Yes the 375HP is quite nice, but the torque figure is quite low. The old Lexus 4.3L V8 had almost the same amount of torque.

I'm also pretty sure the Hyundai V8 won't be able to match the fuel economy and refinement of the Lexus V8.

To be clear I think it's a great achievement that Hyundai has designed their own production V8 (before Honda/Acura I might add) but I'm just not that impressed with it. To me it's competitive but nothing more.

It also remains to be seen if Hyundai's engine issues of bad responsiveness come into play here. My sister's SanteFe was the most turd-tastic vehicle I've ever driven. You literally had to floor it to make it accelerate and the transmission shiftpoints were terrible.
Old 02-29-08, 12:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bean
It also remains to be seen if Hyundai's engine issues of bad responsiveness come into play here. My sister's SanteFe was the most turd-tastic vehicle I've ever driven. You literally had to floor it to make it accelerate and the transmission shiftpoints were terrible.
Correct. HP and torque numbers aren't everything. Even Hyundai's latest engines are not known for high responsiveness or refinement. Hyundai's latest engines are known for simply being average. I don't expect their V8 to be much different.
Old 02-29-08, 12:45 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just saw a silver/tan interior Genesis on the road (with Detroit manufacturer plates- my office is right near their design center in Irvine, we see new Hyundai/Kia and Lexus vehicles driving around all the time) and I have to admit that I like this car. It has presence on the road - it definitely appears bigger than a GS, probably between a GS and LS 460 in size.

Was diggin the LED taillights... the car is sort of LS 460-ish from the front and sort of BMW 5 series from the rear quarter angle.
Old 02-29-08, 12:47 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

You must be totally depressed with the 4.6L V8 in the GS460 then.

Genesis V8: 375 hp, 333 torque

GS460: 342 hp, 339 torque

Sure, if you compare the Genesis V8 to the LS460, which costs almost twice as much.

I'm pretty sure the Genesis V8 doesn't have direct injection, for the same reason that the GS460 doesn't (cost).
Old 02-29-08, 01:05 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was a looong winded post for nothing because I don't think 1SickLex ever said he was chiefly impressed by the engine... There's a lot more than simply the engine that's very impressive with the Genesis.. The Genesis is going to make it obvious how much luxury automobile companies are overcharging for "luxury" options. When Hyundai is giving as much as they are at the price they are, it's kind of embarrassing to see what other companies are charging for the same thing...
Old 02-29-08, 01:18 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

The Hyundai Azera wasn't intended on being a Game Changer. Neither was the Hyundai XG. The Genesis is... Hyundai is putting every bit of effort they can in making a good impression here.. This is going to be different. If not, than Hyundai has ultimately failed. I don't see that happening.. The Azera was just an XG upgrade. The Genesis is different.

Originally Posted by RXSF
"The interior was just too difficult to keep clean, and this went for the leather-upholstered seat as well. What began as a mysterious black smudge across the back of the driver seat resisted three attempts at cleansing with leather care products." -insideline

oh and it is a 2007

"A year with the Azera reminded us that there are two sides to value. The bright side offers features unexpected from a car in this class, like rain-sensing wipers, automatic headlights and a rear window shade. On the dark side we find misaligned panels, material choices of questionable quality and poor stereo performance. The 2007 Hyundai Azera made a positive impression on us, yet we're still not willing to think of it as a premium car. It's attractive and certainly as reliable as a Hyundai Sonata, but it doesn't yet have a character to call its own." -insideline

i think that pretty much sums it up. its a cow in a silk dress
Old 02-29-08, 01:22 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

They're objective is to be competitive at half the price... And they're doing it..

Quick Reply: hyundai genesis (merged threads)