Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hyundai genesis (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 05:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I don't think very many people will be shelling out 40k for a Hyundai but I could be wrong. Maybe some proud Koreans?
I guess it depends on what other types of cars you are looking at in the $40K range. For me, I'd still buy a G35 for around $35K. I'd also buy a BMW E90 335 for a little more, or even the BMW 328 for around that price. Notice most of my choices are more sporty cars. I'd even buy a GS350 for $10K more. However, if I really wanted to stay in the $40K range and wanted to stick with more of a luxury car than sporty car, I can't think of other cars I'd buy.
Old 03-10-08, 05:43 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny you mention that because Hyundai will be aiming at Bentley type luxury with their full-size model - with plans to sell it for less than a Lexus LS..

If "the plan" hasn't changed, we'll be seeing a large car (Bentley/Town Car sized) with a long wheel base, very little overhang and very feature rich - at a price the middle upper class person can afford.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well that IS a Bentley... Slightly different league.
Old 03-10-08, 05:50 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I don't think very many people will be shelling out 40k for a Hyundai but I could be wrong. Maybe some proud Koreans?
The fully loaded V8 will probably sell slowly.. But as long as Hyundai doesn't give up, it's only a matter of time before people realize the value in what they're selling. Same for when Toyota introduced Lexus..

I really do think that the Genesis would sell much, much more with it's own division. You just can't beat going to a Lexus dealership for service. Hyundai needs to give customers the royal treatment before, during and after the sale if they Really want to make an impact.. Still, for the price, maybe you just shouldn't expect Lexus-type service...

As for the dash - I prefer the wood. But, for those who aren't interested, the leather is a very nice option. In America, the grille will have the Hyundai logo on it...

Originally Posted by meowCat
Price sheet
With V8 Standard Package:

... comes with many other features including......

• Lexicon 15 speaker Surround audio system
  • Leather-wrapped dash
  • Wood-trimmed leather steering wheel

Gotta have that stiched and Leather-wrapped dash, preferrably in black. It looks.......... SO MUCH better than the wood dash, in my opinion.

These two pics were already posted but I wanted to re-emphasize how beautiful it is. Black stiched leather wrapped panel and wood trimmed leather steering wheel.

As for the grill, I really don't think I like this one:

I would say the Hyundai grill looks better.

And I think this grill looks BEST.

If they are not going to release the cars with this grill then I may have to import it from Korea....

lolz

Old 03-10-08, 06:10 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

leather wrapped dash is misleading. its only that front part of the dash. the top of the dash is not leather....
Old 03-10-08, 07:39 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

What was the 06 Lexus LS drag co-efficient? I remember it was really low too. 0.27 is pretty impressive.
Old 03-10-08, 07:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

the 06 LS430 had a coefficient rating of 0.26 and 0.25 with the optional air suspension.
Old 03-10-08, 10:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Finally someone gets it in terms of providing all the audio input options.

I will give credit to Hyundai for that, those are a good number of inputs .

--

Assuming that price list is accurate,

So much for the belief that a loaded V8 Genesis would not be over 40K, or the belief that a base V8 Genesis would be offered in the 30K range .

I'm a little bit surprised at the pricing for the 3.8L with the Tech package. It seems a bit pricey for Hyundai. Seeing as the V6 models will be the volume sellers, I'm not so sure the Genesis actually offers enough value. Looks like incentives will almost certainly be used. For 36K (low end approximation of the 3.8L + tech package) you can get a nicely loaded CTS 3.6L DI or a very nicely loaded G35.
Old 03-10-08, 10:44 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a subtle lip spoiler, some rims, a nice drop.

and all is well i'd say.
Old 03-11-08, 12:17 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I will give credit to Hyundai for that, those are a good number of inputs .

--

Assuming that price list is accurate,

So much for the belief that a loaded V8 Genesis would not be over 40K, or the belief that a base V8 Genesis would be offered in the 30K range

Actually, based on that price list the base V8 is in the $30K range. Well, mid $30K range at $35.5K-$37K.
Old 03-11-08, 07:57 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Actually, based on that price list the base V8 is in the $30K range. Well, mid $30K range at $35.5K-$37K.
That's mid 30s range, not 30K range. Some people were convinced that a base V8 would be available for 30-31K . That will only be possible with huge incentives, which could be likely if the car is a slow seller.
Old 03-11-08, 08:42 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

For 36K (low end approximation of the 3.8L + tech package) you can get a nicely loaded CTS 3.6L DI or a very nicely loaded G35.
There's the killer.. The CTS is very nice.. And everybody likes the G35.. So Hyundai is going to be in a tough spot. However, the Hyundai is probably a good bit roomier than both those vehicles.. So we'll have to see..
Old 03-11-08, 09:08 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its like an Infiniti. I30 tails, G35 sides, even the interior has the old Q45/M45 interior look.
Agree 100%. Front is actually very reminiscent of the new G35 too, especially the headlights.

All in all though, a pretty compelling package looking at that price and spec sheet. That said, I'm not really enamored with the interior. Looks about ten years old...like a poorly executed circa 2002 Q45 interior.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 03-11-08 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-11-08, 09:19 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
There's the killer.. The CTS is very nice.. And everybody likes the G35.. So Hyundai is going to be in a tough spot. However, the Hyundai is probably a good bit roomier than both those vehicles.. So we'll have to see..
Exactly, The Genesis will be a in a tough spot competing with the G35 and CTS. The Genesis might be a bit more roomy, but the G35 and CTS are already pretty roomy. Plus, their exteriors and interiors are fairly unique and original.
Old 03-11-08, 10:40 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly, The Genesis will be a in a tough spot competing with the G35 and CTS. The Genesis might be a bit more roomy, but the G35 and CTS are already pretty roomy. Plus, their exteriors and interiors are fairly unique and original.
I recently drove a year old G35 sedan. I love the exterior but I wasn't happy about how it drove. It was very "jerky" with the acceleration and braking. So much so that my wife wouldn't be a passenger in it. I don't know if it's just the particular model I had, though...

I also recently drove in a new CTS - though without the direct injected engine.. The exterior is one of my favorites. The interior is very nice. But something didn't exactly fit for me. It IS the entry-level Cadillac... So maybe I just had my sights aimed too high.

Same goes for the 300C. My wife has a 2007.. The exterior is so impressive that you expect an equally impressive interior. While the inside is lacking a little, we find it very comfortable and have no complaints.. Service is a nightmare and the car does have issues, though...

I'm anxious to see what the Genesis has to offer.. I think it's going to be very interesting...
Old 03-11-08, 10:43 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by meowCat
I remember you saying to me that the Hyundai Genesis with leather wrapped dash will require some PREMIUM OPTION to get it. Doh, it's wrong. It COMES with the STANDARD V8 version.

You also said $45k...... that was another BIG wrong....

It's funny you don't admit what you did wrong but constantly picking on someone elses inputs.
I said 45K? Please show me where I said that, and I will admit I am wrong.

I only remember saying that a loaded Genesis V8 will *exceed* 40K and I was right. I also said that the leather dash would not be standard on the base (V6) model, and I was right. The leather dash is standard on the V8 model and that is exactly what I expected.

Quick Reply: hyundai genesis (merged threads)