Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hyundai genesis (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 10:44 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I recently drove a year old G35 sedan. I love the exterior but I wasn't happy about how it drove. It was very "jerky" with the acceleration and braking. So much so that my wife wouldn't be a passenger in it. I don't know if it's just the particular model I had, though...

I also recently drove in a new CTS - though without the direct injected engine.. The exterior is one of my favorites. The interior is very nice. But something didn't exactly fit for me. It IS the entry-level Cadillac... So maybe I just had my sights aimed too high.

Same goes for the 300C. My wife has a 2007.. The exterior is so impressive that you expect an equally impressive interior. While the inside is lacking a little, we find it very comfortable and have no complaints.. Service is a nightmare and the car does have issues, though...

I'm anxious to see what the Genesis has to offer.. I think it's going to be very interesting...
I'm very interested to see how the Genesis drives. I'm anxious to see if it will live up to the hype and anticipation. If it does, then Hyundai will get a lot of credit.
Old 03-11-08, 10:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I recently drove a year old G35 sedan. I love the exterior but I wasn't happy about how it drove. It was very "jerky" with the acceleration and braking. So much so that my wife wouldn't be a passenger in it. I don't know if it's just the particular model I had, though...

I also recently drove in a new CTS - though without the direct injected engine.. The exterior is one of my favorites. The interior is very nice. But something didn't exactly fit for me. It IS the entry-level Cadillac... So maybe I just had my sights aimed too high.

Same goes for the 300C. My wife has a 2007.. The exterior is so impressive that you expect an equally impressive interior. While the inside is lacking a little, we find it very comfortable and have no complaints.. Service is a nightmare and the car does have issues, though...

I'm anxious to see what the Genesis has to offer.. I think it's going to be very interesting...
Have you looked at the Caddy STS? Just my opinion, but I think the new angular styling from the CTS looks best on the slightly larger STS. The propotions look better to me. I've never been in one nor driven one though.
Old 03-11-08, 11:51 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, the new STS looks nice as well.. I like the little touches.. Front, rear, sides... But the STS (and the DTS) is gone.. The STS was too close to the CTS and since the CTS moved upmarket, there's just no need for it.

Ever seen a CTS at night? You should make a point of it.. Look at it from the back - and especially from the front. It's amazing... The interior is crazy with the blue ambient lighting as well.. If the STS had all that, it would be my favorite.
Old 03-11-08, 01:50 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interior looks better in person. I saw one last year and noted in the earliest threads on this vehicle that it looked like a 70k car.

For an old man like myself who is beyond "labels", I am sold on this one....
Old 03-11-08, 02:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

There's the killer.. The CTS is very nice.. And everybody likes the G35.. So Hyundai is going to be in a tough spot. However, the Hyundai is probably a good bit roomier than both those vehicles.. So we'll have to see..
The CTS is more roomy than a Lexus GS I believe so I doubt the Genesis will be much if any bigger.
Old 03-11-08, 02:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I only remember saying that a loaded Genesis V8 will *exceed* 40K and I was right.
Just for the record, I agreed with you on this.

Back on Genesis, I'm not very sold by the interior. Steering wheel and tons of silver plastic in the middle stack look very cheap to me.

Sonata and Azera look cheap inside so I'm not totally surprised. Will have to get a look at one in person at some point.
Old 03-11-08, 02:30 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure if this crash test Genesis vs. A8 video has been posted before in this thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0O2-9JPoGI

But it seems like kinda of a cheap shot for an ad. Of course the Genesis will look like it fared better at that angle since it's not head, on center to center.
Old 03-11-08, 03:12 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX_330
Not sure if this crash test Genesis vs. A8 video has been posted before in this thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0O2-9JPoGI

But it seems like kinda of a cheap shot for an ad. Of course the Genesis will look like it fared better at that angle since it's not head, on center to center.
That's marketing for ya...
Old 03-11-08, 05:51 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't believe I read through 33 pages of threads!

But I just wanted to say that when my lease is up in 2009 and even though I'm only 28 and work in Beverly Hills which is the snobbiest place in the world I will consider this as my next car. The car is absolutely stunning and the price is hard to beat! Also a co-worker of mine will also test drive this car and see what it's all about.

If I like it, I have no problem getting one! And I can give a rat’s *** if my friends say it's a hyundai. I don't get cars to impress people, I get cars because of value and options! And a lexus doesn't impress anyone were I work

I really like what Hyundai is doing!
Old 03-11-08, 06:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adam8065
I can't believe I read through 33 pages of threads!
Some can't believe we have 33 pages of posts about a Hyundai.

If I like it, I have no problem getting one! And I can give a rat’s *** if my friends say it's a hyundai. I don't get cars to impress people, I get cars because of value and options! And a lexus doesn't impress anyone were I work
Good for you - great attitude! It shouldn't be about impressing other people, it should be about you getting what impresses you!

I really like what Hyundai is doing!
Me too - they're on a roll.
Old 03-11-08, 07:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by adam8065

Everywhere I go, people ask me what I drive. I just tell them I drive a Toyota. I definitely did not buy my car to impress anyone. It's just too bad there are people who revolve themselves around the badge

I am DEFINITELY going to be test driving the Genesis. So far it looks great on paper.
Old 03-11-08, 07:42 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg

Everywhere I go, people ask me what I drive. I just tell them I drive a Toyota. I definitely did not buy my car to impress anyone. It's just too bad there are people who revolve themselves around the badge

I am DEFINITELY going to be test driving the Genesis. So far it looks great on paper.
so true..my brother revolves around Badge cars right now..he has a 2008 Porsche turbo, 2008 amg g55, and he just put an order in on the new 2009 Bently Brooklands.. albeit he makes 20 times the amount of money that I make
Old 03-11-08, 09:36 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like it has some sort of an iDrive, or MMI type of interface? IMO looks REALLY GOOD. Only thing I don't like about the dash is the ugly piece of aluminum? surrounding the nav screen.
Old 03-11-08, 11:12 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Korean girls from the Genesis website.

You sold me ladies
Old 03-12-08, 02:01 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

We'll have to see how that aluminum piece looks in person. I'm not sure I like it either. The seats also don't look very luxurious and plush the way they should. I'm sure it'll be comfortable - but we'll still have to see...

Quick Reply: hyundai genesis (merged threads)