Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hyundai genesis (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 04:12 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm sure when people buy this, they'll swap out the H badges for the wing badges to give it that kdm look
Old 08-11-08, 12:43 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled a .94 nice. Although I'm always a bit skeptical when the test is not from an independent source.
Old 08-11-08, 01:17 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meowCat
FWIW, the Mazdaspeed 3 is faster than the Genesis. OWNED!!!

The 2002 Camry SE has a better braking distance 70-0 than the Genesis. OWNED!!!

The subaru WRX STI has greater cornering ability. OWNED!!!

Get real...
Old 08-11-08, 01:31 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Furthermore, I really think that Hyundai needs to be careful with their marketing campaign for this car because I forsee the ability to create a bit of confusion with consumers.

Some of their ads show everything from an E class to a 750i to a Boxster. Yes they are trying to make a point but to your average consumer this is somewhat confusing, if not worthless, advertising. Not to mention the PR stuff about seven series technology, five series size, three series price.

So far Hyundai has referenced the S Class, E Class, 3 Series, 5 Series, 7 Series, LS, GS, ES, A8, A6, Infiniti M, and the Porsche Boxster. To your average consumer, these types of comparisons are confusing and lack consistency.

I see two main problems: Size and Price.

If they were going to attack the LS, 7 series, and S Class and advertise the genesis as a cut rate competitor to those then people would probably derive that it's a large car priced significantly less than those three.

If they wanted to go after the E, GS, and 5 Series then consumers might get the idea that the car is midsize, but if they've just seen an advertisement referencing the S Class and LS, they might think that while it's more expensive than the middle three, its less expensive than the big three.

If they continue the 3 series references, people might think to cross shop it with that class of cars with the same logic above.

Yes, everyone on this board knows and understands, but people are sheep and need to have things laid out for them. Hyundai has thus far, been quite inconsistent.
Old 08-11-08, 09:37 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Hope this isn't a reposed video:

http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes...deo/index.html
Old 08-12-08, 09:30 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edmunds, Motortrend, and others have all had extremely positive things to say about this car. It's not sporty but does it really need to be?

Editorials are saying it drives similar to an LS460 for a price less than the LS originally sold for 18 years ago (and that's not even factoring in inflation, with inflation factored in this car is selling for 2/3rds the price of the ORIGINAL LS!)

I'm going to see if I can find a V8 genesis in town to test drive... if not then I'll settle for a V6, though the V8 looks like quite the bargain as it only costs $2000 more after option considerations, plus includes a few more extra features like nicer leather, illuminated door plates, etc.
Old 08-12-08, 12:06 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I just got back from a test drive of a V6 Genesis with every available option.

Overall a REALLY nice car. Amazing amount of car for the money. Very smooth, controlled, and stable ride. Handling was pretty good for the size and type of car and ride quality, but I wouldn't say it out handles the 5-series.. especially not in feel and response... maybe in lateral Gs or something, but there's only so much tire grip in a circle is going to do for a car's handling. I really think they're marketing this car wrong, though. This should be the car for people who want build quality, luxury feature content, and a smooth silent controlled ride, for a good price. This car is not going to take 5-series owners... at least none of the ones that actually want a sporty ride. It may take some of the pretenders who just wanted a 5-series because it's a 5-series and have no interest in really 'driving' a car.

The Lexicon 17 speaker stereo sounded pretty good but I expected better. I suspect it may be due to the fact that they didn't have a demo disc on hand and so I had to demo with XM radio, and I couldn't find anything good on XM to play, either. I might try again later with a 7.1 disc.

The interior was VERY nice for a 40k dollar car in terms of feel, though I don't care for some of the styling aspects. There were a few cheap details here and there but no more cheap details than, say, the CTS, which was my current favorite interior in a car at the 40k mark.

My favorite thing overall was just how refined this car was. You could have told me I was in an LS460 and as long as you blindfolded me I wouldn't have known you were lying.

I think Lexus, Infiniti, and Cadillac should be very worried.
Old 08-12-08, 02:50 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Threxx
I just got back from a test drive of a V6 Genesis with every available option.

Overall a REALLY nice car. Amazing amount of car for the money. Very smooth, controlled, and stable ride. Handling was pretty good for the size and type of car and ride quality, but I wouldn't say it out handles the 5-series.. especially not in feel and response... maybe in lateral Gs or something, but there's only so much tire grip in a circle is going to do for a car's handling. I really think they're marketing this car wrong, though. This should be the car for people who want build quality, luxury feature content, and a smooth silent controlled ride, for a good price. This car is not going to take 5-series owners... at least none of the ones that actually want a sporty ride. It may take some of the pretenders who just wanted a 5-series because it's a 5-series and have no interest in really 'driving' a car.

The Lexicon 17 speaker stereo sounded pretty good but I expected better. I suspect it may be due to the fact that they didn't have a demo disc on hand and so I had to demo with XM radio, and I couldn't find anything good on XM to play, either. I might try again later with a 7.1 disc.

The interior was VERY nice for a 40k dollar car in terms of feel, though I don't care for some of the styling aspects. There were a few cheap details here and there but no more cheap details than, say, the CTS, which was my current favorite interior in a car at the 40k mark.

My favorite thing overall was just how refined this car was. You could have told me I was in an LS460 and as long as you blindfolded me I wouldn't have known you were lying.

I think Lexus, Infiniti, and Cadillac should be very worried.
curious how you left BMW, Benz, and Audi off the "Better be Worried List". You wouldn't happen to have a particular bias against Japanese or affinity for German cars would you?

Ted
Old 08-12-08, 03:09 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
FWIW, the Mazdaspeed 3 is faster than the Genesis. OWNED!!!

The 2002 Camry SE has a better braking distance 70-0 than the Genesis. OWNED!!!

The subaru WRX STI has greater cornering ability. OWNED!!!

Get real...

rotflmao..............
Old 08-12-08, 03:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ted920
curious how you left BMW, Benz, and Audi off the "Better be Worried List". You wouldn't happen to have a particular bias against Japanese or affinity for German cars would you?

Ted
Actually I don't have any bias toward German cars or against Japanese cars. I appreciate and have owned several cars from all three major 'areas' (Japan, US, Germany).

However as I already tried to explain, the Germans don't produce anything like this. The drive felt very very refined and isolated, for better or for worse. Similar to something between a Lexus GS and LS, or kind of like an Infiniti M.

You might have noticed I left off Acura as well. Nothing they make drives like this IMO, either, again for better or for worse.

The 5-series, E-class, and A6 all have a much more direct feel... the handling and steering is quite a bit more confidence inspiring and direct, input is much more responsive, but they all ride quite a bit stiffer and are less refined in ride quality and road noise.

The Genesis is not a drivers car IMO, once again, for better or for worse.

What it is, IMO, is about 90% of an LS460 for 50% of the price. Which I think is great.
Old 08-12-08, 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
It would cost billions to do and they clearly thought about starting a new brand but the cost is staggering.
I agree totally, Mike. Put the money into the quality of CAR instead of another luxury division.

A Genesis V8 is high priority on my review list as soon as they start arriving in this area and are unsold.....right now, all the dealers have is V6 models.
Old 08-13-08, 08:15 PM
LexFather

Old 08-13-08, 08:19 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Threxx
Actually I don't have any bias toward German cars or against Japanese cars. I appreciate and have owned several cars from all three major 'areas' (Japan, US, Germany).

However as I already tried to explain, the Germans don't produce anything like this. The drive felt very very refined and isolated, for better or for worse. Similar to something between a Lexus GS and LS, or kind of like an Infiniti M.

You might have noticed I left off Acura as well. Nothing they make drives like this IMO, either, again for better or for worse.

The 5-series, E-class, and A6 all have a much more direct feel... the handling and steering is quite a bit more confidence inspiring and direct, input is much more responsive, but they all ride quite a bit stiffer and are less refined in ride quality and road noise.

The Genesis is not a drivers car IMO, once again, for better or for worse.

What it is, IMO, is about 90% of an LS460 for 50% of the price. Which I think is great.
Not all German cars are drivers cars, some are just as cushy, BMWs with no sport kit, Benzes...Audis, most German cars sold actually.

I think Audi, Infiniti, Acura, Saab, Volvo have more to worry than Lexus, Benz, BMW.

Old 08-13-08, 08:28 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I actually like that white genesis, minus the Civic-riffic interior.
Old 08-13-08, 08:37 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Not all German cars are drivers cars, some are just as cushy, BMWs with no sport kit, Benzes...Audis, most German cars sold actually.

I think Audi, Infiniti, Acura, Saab, Volvo have more to worry than Lexus, Benz, BMW.
Just as cushy as what? The Genesis? No. I've driven a 2008 528i with no sport package and the ride was still significantly different (less refined, much less isolated, and much more direct/sporty) than the genesis.

I've also driven a GS350 and an LS430 and I'd equate the driving experience much closer to those cars.

In comparing the way the actual cars drive the Genesis is closest to the cars I listed earlier. I'm basing this on having actually driven them.

If you're saying that it will take more buyers away from the brands you perceive as more tier-2 or at least less badge-focused then I agree with you for the time being, but remember Lexus at one point was a nobody with their brand and after producing the knock out 1990 LS400 the Lexus name really started changing in the way people perceived it.

Will that happen with the Genesis? Possibly, though ultimately probably not. But again, go actually drive one and try to not pay attention to the badge - just to the car itself.

No offense intended but I think you in particular are going to have a very hard time with that as badge-focused as you seem to be. For example every other post I read of yours is 100% anti-Acura. Sure Acura isn't doing the greatest at the moment but you've dug your claws into hating that brand as a whole and won't let go. If you have already decided that Hyundai is a brand you don't like then you're never going to be able to judge the Genesis without the badge.

I understand you're no different from many people though... so I'm not saying lots of other people won't be stuck on the Hyundai name. I'm just saying drive it with an open mind and compare it to a 3rd gen GS or LS and let me know if you don't feel the similarity in the way they drive and the dissimilarity from almost anything made in Germany.

Quick Reply: hyundai genesis (merged threads)