Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hyundai genesis (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-08, 08:18 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a nice car, but I can't help but think Hyundai, made a big mistake by not creating another brand for this car. Perhaps simply calling it the "Genesis" line, creating another purely luxury brand that is not connected with Hyundai.

Let's face it there are a lot of name-o-philes, and I am probably one that would never buy a Hyundai, even if it could fly. I know I am not the only one as I have mentioned this car to a few friends and as soon as I mention it's a Hyundai, they make a face.

Where this car will succeed will be among Honda, GM, Toyota buyers, etc, but not among those who already own luxury brands. Hell, many of the German luxury brand buyers look down on the Lexus and Infiniti's, but Hyundai......forget about it. So I say they should have made the investment now and created that luxury marque and thus creating a perception that buyers were getting a better car than the average Hyundai.
Old 09-13-08, 08:26 PM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice!
Old 10-11-08, 08:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Saw a Genesis on the road today (first one I've seen) and not only did I think it looked GREAT, my wife (who is usually oblivious to cars) told me it looked really sharp. I said "yeah, my Lexus buddies are putting it down because it's a Hyundai".

Anyway, huge huge props to Hyundai, even though it's a shame they've had to launch this vehicle in about the worst possible car market.
Old 10-12-08, 08:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Saw a Genesis on the road today (first one I've seen) and not only did I think it looked GREAT, my wife (who is usually oblivious to cars) told me it looked really sharp. I said "yeah, my Lexus buddies are putting it down because it's a Hyundai".

Anyway, huge huge props to Hyundai, even though it's a shame they've had to launch this vehicle in about the worst possible car market.
I haven't seen/noticed a Genesis on the street yet, but did see a Lincoln MKS yesterday. IMO, it looked nice and had good presence.

I agree, it couldn't be a worse time to be rolling out a new model or even a revamped one. It'll be very hard to meet any sales goals or to judge the success of anything right now.