Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Provoq Concept.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 05:05 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Post Cadillac Provoq Concept.

Cadillac Provoq Fuel Cell Concept delivers clean, petroleum free performance and signature design

Cadillac unveils a new vision for the future of luxury transportation with the innovative Provoq fuel cell concept – a hydrogen fuel cell crossover vehicle that continues GM’s commitment to displace petroleum through advanced technology.

The Cadillac Provoq fuel cell concept is the latest example of GM’s groundbreaking E-Flex propulsion system, combining the new fifth-generation fuel cell system and a lithium-ion battery to produce an electrically driven vehicle that uses no petroleum and has no emission other than water. The concept’s fifth-generation fuel cell technology is half the size of its predecessor, yet it has been developed to produce more power and performance.

“Cadillac is a natural fit for GM’s next step in developing the E-Flex platform,” says Jim Taylor, Cadillac general manager. “Cadillac, at its very essence, is about premium luxury, design and technology, so it’s fitting that Cadillac would be propelled by the most elegant solution. This signals Cadillac’s intent to lead the industry with alternative-fuel technology.”

Fuel-cell variant of the E-Flex system

The concept can drive 300 miles (483 km) on a single fill of hydrogen – with 280 miles (450 km) from hydrogen and 20 miles (32 km) on pure, battery electric energy.

A pair of 10,000 psi (700 bar) composite storage tanks beneath the rear cargo floor hold 13.2 pounds (6 kg) of hydrogen to feed the fuel cell stack, located under the hood. There, hydrogen mixes with oxygen to generate electricity – up to 88 kW continuous power. A lithium-ion battery pack can store up to a total of 9kWh of electrical energy and also provides a peak of 60 kW of power for additional performance.

The electricity generated by the fuel cell is distributed to a 70 kW co-axial drive system for the front wheels and individual, 40 kW wheel hub motors on the rear wheels, giving the Cadillac Provoq its all-wheel-drive traction and great driving dynamics. Its 0-60 mph (approximately 100 km/h) speed of 8.5 seconds is a more than 30-percent improvement over the previous-generation fuel cell system and with instantaneous torque to the wheels, it feels even faster. Provoq has a top speed of 100 mph (160 km/h).

“This is a vision of what comes next – a fuel cell electric vehicle that delivers the driving characteristics Cadillac customers want and allowing them to do it without using a single drop of petroleum, while emitting only water vapor,” said Larry Burns, GM vice president for research and development. “This is proof that alternate fuels and advanced technologies create even greater opportunities to satisfy the luxury buyer.”
*source
http://www.tuningnews.net/article/08...rovoq-concept/
Old 01-08-08, 06:16 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow!! That is really nice. I like it.
Old 01-08-08, 06:17 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ever notice how they all look like an RX with grill and taillight grafts?

Hot Tip: Their "luxury buyer" demo is really going to be Provoq'd when he's standing on the side of the highway trying to flag down someone with a spare bucket of hydrogen. Nice PR exercise, now, how about something we can drive more than thirty minutes from our local hydrogen dealer?
Old 01-08-08, 06:37 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This Caddy looks great! If they make a petrol version with the 306hp V6, look out!
Old 01-08-08, 06:44 AM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That actually looks quite nice. This is so going a Infiniti EX competitor lol
Old 01-08-08, 06:49 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What happens when the CTS and RX "get it on" ???

You get that...
Old 01-08-08, 07:48 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BRX, I'd imagine
Old 01-08-08, 08:19 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't at all see how you guys are seeing RX lines in this vehicle. It looks almost exactly like I'd expect for a next gen Caddy SUV modeled after the successful design of the new CTS.

The interior looks amazing. Anybody notice the soft LED lighting around the interior trim/belt line? Forget about illuminated scuff plates... THAT looks sweet!

The best thing about this vehicle is not that it's a fun PR exercise... it's that minus the concept drivetrain, this should pretty much be what we see out of the new Cadillac BRX SUV that isn't at all a concept.
Old 01-08-08, 08:56 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

This car has some pretty nifty technology -

On-demand control of the airflow into the engine
compartment uses a shape memory alloy- activated
louver system. Reducing the cooling airflow into
the engine compartment reduces aerodynamic
drag. The result is improved aerodynamics and
drag reduction and rapid warm-up during cold starts.
Watch this video to understand -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU-dChOfkAg

As far as the RX comment, no I don't see it at ALL. The taillights are obviously a tribute to Cadillac tailfins. I thought that was self evident. The grill and the rest of the vehicle are all uniquely and 100% Cadillac.

Old 01-08-08, 09:00 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

is this based on vue architecture?
Old 01-08-08, 11:01 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

it looks very production ready..

there's really nothing that says "concept" except the name of the car--the interior looks on-par with the new CTS, and even the exterior isn't really "concept-y" except the big rims and the strange carved tires.
Old 01-08-08, 11:09 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
it looks very production ready..

there's really nothing that says "concept" except the name of the car--the interior looks on-par with the new CTS, and even the exterior isn't really "concept-y" except the big rims and the strange carved tires.
Not so much the exterior shots, but the interior shots have a quality to them that I can't put my finger on. Does this thing exist in hardware or is it all CGI? There might be an exterior mockup somewhere but there is something just not quite right if I look at those interior shots very long. In particular, look at the second interior shot where the blue highlight line is gone and the boot around the shifter is different. Also, if you look at the shot of the caddy and the RX, notice how the spokes on the RX wheels all look the same length while those on the caddy are smaller on the bottom - trying to give a CGI perspective - it doesn't work. I am not sure this thing exists anywhere other than on a hard drive. Might not be that production ready...

Last edited by RON430; 01-08-08 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-08-08, 11:21 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RON430
Not so much the exterior shots, but the interior shots have a quality to them that I can't put my finger on. Does this thing exist in hardware or is it all CGI? There might be an exterior mockup somewhere but there is something just not quite right if I look at those interior shots very long. In particular, look at the second interior shot where the blue highlight line is gone and the boot around the shifter is different. I am not sure this thing exists anywhere than on a hard drive. Might not be that production ready...
ah i see what you mean..

but the first and third shots are definitely real, but the second one IS a rendering.
Old 01-08-08, 11:30 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
ah i see what you mean..

but the first and third shots are definitely real, but the second one IS a rendering.
The more I look, the less convinced I am that any of them are real. Some of them might be better done than others but none of them look "right".There is just something not right about CGI, even well done 3D versions, where textures and shadows are just not consistently done. The other two interior shots have far too much consistency in the tone of the seats, for one, to be real. The shift boot is obviously meant to look like leather but a real shift boot has more trouble getting illuminated like that for a photo. I just have very great reservations that this thing exists anywhere. Like I said, might be a scale exterior mockup somewhere but the images just don't look right. It could still be me, and I could definitely be wrong, but I wish caddy would have made clear whether the images are of a real piece of hardware or not. The press release gives no clue as to whether it is real or not, just a "concept".

PS. Does that image of the outside mirror through the window on the first interior shot look real to you? The different exterior shots appear to have at least two different side mirrors. Once again, I could be wrong, but I don't think this is anything other than hype.

Last edited by RON430; 01-08-08 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-08-08, 11:46 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RON430
The more I look, the less convinced I am that any of them are real. Some of them might be better done than others but none of them look "right".There is just something not right about CGI, even well done 3D versions, where textures and shadows are just not consistently done. The other two interior shots have far too much consistency in the tone of the seats, for one, to be real. The shift boot is obviously meant to look like leather but a real shift boot has more trouble getting illuminated like that for a photo. I just have very great reservations that this thing exists anywhere. Like I said, might be a scale exterior mockup somewhere but the images just don't look right. It could still be me, and I could definitely be wrong, but I wish caddy would have made clear whether the images are of a real piece of hardware or not. The press release gives no clue as to whether it is real or not, just a "concept".

PS. Does that image of the outside mirror through the window on the first interior shot look real to you? The different exterior shots appear to have at least two different side mirrors. Once again, I could be wrong, but I don't think this is anything other than hype.

the side mirrors are definitlely questionable, but as far as the first and third interior shot goes--they're definitely real. they're less convincing because work was done to get rid of anything in the windows, but the tones and such look fine.. ( a lot can be done in post-processing...)

Quick Reply: Cadillac Provoq Concept.