Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

v6-v8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 11:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Of course they do--how can they drive 4 of their buddies to go play golf, and not be able to fit everyone's clubs? My IS has a bigger trunk.
so? there are a lot of things on the LS that you don't as well. i find it so funny that every time it goes into whose car is better, that's so silly. the thread is about v6 vs v8 on luxury segment. take your comments on that elsewhere.

and your lack of knowledge about idea behind hybrid doesn't help neither (which has nothing to do with this topic as well, btw, so i won't go into that)
Old 01-09-08, 11:52 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... Anybody remember that 4 cylinder charging electric motor drive train Mercedes concept not long ago? I guess we're heading the right direction with that.

Also when you think about it, technology have in all pushed luxury cars and all cars in general to shrink their engine sizes. Remember when cars like the OLD Maybach era? they've got 16 cylinders or something (note, I don't know which cars at that time or close to that time have those engines, but generally luxury cruisers have huge engines) and what you see in cars today in the same segment? smaller V8-V12s....
Old 01-09-08, 12:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
so? there are a lot of things on the LS that you don't as well. i find it so funny that every time it goes into whose car is better, that's so silly. the thread is about v6 vs v8 on luxury segment. take your comments on that elsewhere.

and your lack of knowledge about idea behind hybrid doesn't help neither (which has nothing to do with this topic as well, btw, so i won't go into that)
I apologize if my comment came across as a knock on golf or the LS (2 things I like) and for getting caught up and going OT. It was merely are response to someone else's comment that the owner of an LS doesn't care about trunk size with an actual real example of why THAT is a silly statement.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-09-08 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 12:45 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

$30K for 50 more HP? If so, that's not how I'm spending it--might as well get the A8 with the Lambo engine.
You get a LOT more for 30k than just the Hybrid Drive. Standard on the LS460H L that are options on the standard LS include:

1. All LS460H L are long wheelbase cars.
2. Navigation system.
3. Mark Levinson sound system with 5/6/7.1 and DVD video.
4. VGRS (Variable Gear Ratio Steering.)
5. ECVT (Electronic Continuously Variable Transmission).
6. AWD.
7. Adaptive Variable Air Suspension.
8. Lexus Link.

I'm sure there are many more, this is just a quick list from their web site.
Old 01-09-08, 12:54 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

... you mean 600hl right?
Old 01-09-08, 01:06 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

i think with the heavy road tax and fuel taxes in the European market, the V6 models make sense.

but I'm really not for lower-engined models on high-end cars here in the united states--isn't the entire point behind a big executive sedan big, executive power behind the wheel?

and say what you will about high-powered V6s that put out just as much power as V8s---but as 1SICK mentioned, a V8 will always trump it with smoothness and the way it delivers that power.

I mean if it was just purely efficiency's sake, we wouldn't have V10s and V12s in cars...
Old 01-09-08, 01:25 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
... you mean 600hl right?
Oops, thanks for catching that.
Old 01-09-08, 02:24 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in Asia you could get V6 for S-class, 7-series, and Phaeton. most airport services, and chauffeurs companies choose V6 models to save fuel costs. streets in Asia are mostly crowded and narrow and cars will never see more than 120km/h on the high way, so V6s are more than enough.

most luxury cars nowadays have 6-speed, 7-speed auto gearbox so V6 cars will still accelerate quite smoothly. the only difference is the engine noise. V8 and V12 cars will be quieter.
Old 01-09-08, 02:31 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't read the thread, so don't knock me if this has already been stated. I'll take a good I6 over a V6 anyday. Many of the smoothest engines in the world are inline 6 engines. So the answer to your question is no, I would not like to see more V6 engines.
Old 01-09-08, 04:50 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Just take the LS Hybrid--$30,000 extra, and there's 1mpg difference (and AWD). I know they aren't flying out of showrooms, but seriously, who's buying that?
LS 600h L, 300% past sales expectations
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=exceeds

Old 01-16-08, 05:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
is it just me, or would you like to see v6's in the german luxo sedans, and others? i mean like id like to see a v6 in the xf jag, and the mb cls, just like in europe, and with the raising gas prices it would help right? i mean you don't need a v8 for luxury. and i think it would be cool to see in the 7 series and the a8 and the new s class too, although, those would be the definition of a land yacht lol just an idea of mine, i think they would sell well to, but if you guys think this is garbage it's ok to
Well, they may be forced to do so. I can't see how interest will fade ONLY with American V8s.

Interest Fades in the Once-Mighty V-8
By BILL VLASIC
Published: January 16, 2008

DETROIT — The V-8 engine, long a symbol of power for American car companies, is sputtering.

Carlos Osorio/Associated Press

Ford, which first popularized the V-8 engine in the 1930s, will use a turbocharged 6-cylinder engine in its Explorer S.U.V. At the Detroit auto show this week, Detroit’s Big Three are promoting smaller engines and alternative-fuel vehicles, eliminating the V-8 from many models and relegating it to niche status.

Ford Motor, which first popularized the V-8 in the 1930s, will start using a turbocharged 6-cylinder in many vehicles, including the next generation of its Explorer sport utility vehicle. The company has named its new engine technology EcoBoost, a nod to consumers’ concern for the environment.

“It’s pretty clear that the V-8 is on its way out of the mainstream,” said Ford’s chairman, William Clay Ford Jr.

General Motors recently canceled a $300 million program to develop a new V-8, citing new fuel-economy standards that require a 40 percent improvement in overall gas mileage by 2020. “That cancellation was a direct result of the 35-mile-per-gallon legislation,” Robert A. Lutz, G.M.’s vice chairman, said Tuesday.

Even the famed Hemi V-8 from Chrysler will be quieted at stoplights when it is paired this year with hybrid technology in some big S.U.V.’s.

Car companies, in a sense, are catching up with shifting consumer tastes: sales of V-8 engines in the United States have dropped 24 percent since 2004, according to the auto research firm R. L. Polk & Company.

The V-8 will still be a staple in pickups and large S.U.V.’s, and Detroit continues to flex its muscle-car muscle with some other models. General Motors, for example, unveiled this week a limited-edition 620-horsepower Corvette ZR1 — the fastest and most powerful Chevrolet ever — and a high-performance Cadillac, the CTS-V, offering 550 horsepower.

Ford executives said they had at times wrestled with the decision to give up V-8s in some models, including a new sedan from the Lincoln luxury division, because they worried about customer reaction.

“I worked on the Lincoln Continental program 20 years ago, and people were vehement that it had to have a V-8,” said Mark Fields, Ford’s president for the Americas. “But now people don’t really care if the performance is there.”

Some Asian automakers, notably Honda of Japan, have stayed out of the V-8 market entirely. Toyota offers V-8s in its full-size pickups and S.U.V.’s, but it has dominated the midsize car market with less powerful engines.

“The era of indulgence is over,” said John A. Casesa, managing partner at the Casesa Shapiro Group, an investment firm in New York. “When oil goes to $100 a barrel, the romance of a V-8 under the hood diminishes pretty quickly.”

Chrysler is bucking the trend somewhat. The company is updating its Hemi engine and achieving better fuel economy by marrying the current edition to a hybrid system in its full-size Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen S.U.V.’s.

But the automaker, which was bought last year by the private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management, is developing a new line of V-6 engines that would be an alternative to the V-8s in popular models like the Jeep Grand Cherokee S.U.V.

“There’s a new group of young customers that may not appreciate or care what the Hemi does,” said the Chrysler vice chairman, James E. Press.

That observation would have been considered sacrilegious in the glory days of the V-8, when drivers blared Chuck Berry’s “Maybellene,” singing along to the words, “Nothing will outrun my V-8 Ford,” and Detroit packed even smaller cars like the Dodge Dart and A.M.C. Gremlin with big engines.

Mr. Ford, the 50-year-old great-grandson of the company’s founder, Henry Ford, said the passing of the V-8 era is somewhat bittersweet for baby boomers like him.

“We all grew up when the coolest guy on the block had the most cubic inches under the hood,” he said. “That feeling dies hard.”
Old 01-17-08, 11:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally would like to see more V6 engine options on Luxury cars. You still need that V8 option for those that want it and the image, but most people are just fine with a high HP V6. I know that is the engine option I'd get. I'm perfectly fine with any V6 engine that makes 250HP or more. I'm one that always say if it gets the job done it is good. If Lexus came out with an LS350 I'd buy that car over the LS460. For me, there is nothing wrong with a 306HP V6 LS350. Other engine options I'd like to see more of are Forced Induction V6 and I4's. This is kind of ironic for me since in sports cars I like NA, but for regular cars I don't mind Forced Induction at all.