Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

About time....watch out left lane slow drivers

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 12:38 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoggg1
So the simple answer is slow traffic stays to the left while the right lane passes, anyone not doing the speed limit in the right lane is impeding the flow of traffic and should be ticketed
What? i'm not following how you came up with that.

The right lane is typically the merging traffic, slower drivers, and semi's (60 mph limit) and the left lane is a single row of drivers going 70-75 (70 mph limit) Even when there is a third lane we have so much traffic that the right and middle get full of people going 60 along with the semi's, this leaves the left lane the only travel lane to actually go the speed limit of 70 mph.
Old 01-10-08, 12:48 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

I guess there are more intersections on your 2 lane roads than what i'm picturing/used to in the central coast of CA
Old 01-10-08, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
I agree that drivers going under the speed limit should stay right but here in the Puget Sound area the left lane is a travel lane, the whole idea that it is only used for passing and turning left is far outdated for our circumstances. With the volumes of car traffic along with the big semi and delivery traffic from Canada down through to California there is no way you can safely use the left lane for passing only. In some cases it's a 2 lane highway with a 70 mph limit on cars and 60 mph limit on big rigs. Combined with on / off ramps the right lane is way too congested to even go 70 which leaves the left lane as a travel lane.
i don't really agree. i traveled on i5 (300-400 miles long) regularly, 2 lanes one way, and 70mph flow. you have rigs usually going around 60mph.

when there are rigs on the right, going on the left at 70mph is fine, coz' you are PASSING, even if the cars behind you want to go at 80mph.

however, after you pass those rigs, get back to the right lane! so people can pass you. i can't even tell how many times after scenarios like this, those cars just stick to fast lane doing 70mph. get the hell out of the way. so i constantly had to pass on the right and cut back to the left

the way i drive? when i pass, i pass on the left. otherwise, i always change back to the right lane, even if i am going 90mph. that's just the right way to drive (look at europe, where people do know how to drive). if people want to pass me at 100mph, they just do that on my left, no need to change lane

if i am on the right lane and i see a rig in front, i look to my left and see if any fast cars coming. if no, i switch lane and past. if yes, i see if i can change lane and accel fast enough. if not, i will just slow down and wait, that's the game

when there is a entrance merge and i see a car on the on ramp? i see if there are cars on the left. if no, i switch over so the car can enter smoothly, then cut back in front. if there are cars, then either i slow down to let him in, or i speed up to leave space behind me.

very simple and right way of logic to drive.
Old 01-10-08, 12:58 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
actually they have that "rule" in socal, i am not sure how effective they are in enforcing it though. coz' i still often times have to pass on the right...

i pass on the right all the time.... ALL THE TIME

it's not even funny on the 405 and 5 freeways...
Old 01-10-08, 01:09 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

i don't really agree. i traveled on i5 (300-400 miles long) regularly, 2 lanes one way, and 70mph flow. you have rigs usually going around 60mph.

when there are rigs on the right, going on the left at 70mph is fine, coz' you are PASSING, even if the cars behind you want to go at 80mph.

however, after you pass those rigs, get back to the right lane! so people can pass you. i can't even tell how many times after scenarios like this, those cars just stick to fast lane doing 70mph. get the hell out of the way. so i constantly had to pass on the right and cut back to the left

the way i drive? when i pass, i pass on the left. otherwise, i always change back to the right lane, even if i am going 90mph. that's just the right way to drive (look at europe, where people do know how to drive). if people want to pass me at 100mph, they just do that on my left, no need to change lane

if i am on the right lane and i see a rig in front, i look to my left and see if any fast cars coming. if no, i switch lane and past. if yes, i see if i can change lane and accel fast enough. if not, i will just slow down and wait, that's the game

when there is a entrance merge and i see a car on the on ramp? i see if there are cars on the left. if no, i switch over so the car can enter smoothly, then cut back in front. if there are cars, then either i slow down to let him in, or i speed up to leave space behind me.

I guess I see it safer to stay in the left lane and travel with the flow at 75 mph which I can do from Bellingham to Tacoma quite often without ever changing lanes except through Seattle where the lanes shift a little. Of I can try to drive in the middle lane and pass vehicles or groups of vehicles using the left lane, which is full of people going 75. To me it's a no brainer on which is safer and logical. With our congestion it's a lot safer to stay the course and not try to shift around slower cars. If it's like the case in the video where there is not much traffic than sure it makes sense to drive in the right lane and make the occasional pass in the open left lane but that's just not the way my commute is between Olympia and Bellingham.
Old 01-10-08, 01:18 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster

passing on the right is technically wrong but you pretty much have to because you have slow douchebags in the left lane
Old 01-10-08, 01:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster

indeed, it's a pain driving in socal sometimes. people in the fast lane driving 70mph while other cars are moving 75mph. talk about dangerous

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
I guess I see it safer to stay in the left lane and travel with the flow at 75 mph which I can do from Bellingham to Tacoma quite often without ever changing lanes except through Seattle where the lanes shift a little. Of I can try to drive in the middle lane and pass vehicles or groups of vehicles using the left lane, which is full of people going 75. To me it's a no brainer on which is safer and logical. With our congestion it's a lot safer to stay the course and not try to shift around slower cars. If it's like the case in the video where there is not much traffic than sure it makes sense to drive in the right lane and make the occasional pass in the open left lane but that's just not the way my commute is between Olympia and Bellingham.
(not against you, but in general) that's exactly why i give up on the US traffic, since it's so "established" as is and it's too hard to re-educate people anymore. i can only try to do it right myself. it doesn't make it any "safer" to stay on your course when cars in your lane are usually traveling faster. and it doesn't make it more "unsafe" if you know what you are doing when changing lanes
Old 01-10-08, 01:27 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

they need this in NY, hate when people in the right line drive slower than the speed limit. cant wait to get my train horns.....
Old 01-10-08, 01:43 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

I agree. I think that it is just to easy to get a license here in the states and many people just don't know the laws as well as they should.

People driving too slow on the left lane and people making complete stops to merge have got to be my biggest pet peeves when it comes to driving.
Old 01-10-08, 01:46 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Good.... Some people drive so slow in the fast lane and totally oblivious to fact they are backing up the flow of traffic. People still can't read the large signs that say, "Slower traffic keep right."
Old 01-10-08, 02:08 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Traffic just sucks so bad here this is what it's gotten to

http://www.komotv.com/news/13569837.html
Old 01-10-08, 02:12 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoggg1
Not to mention f-ing irritating when they start cruising next to some other guy goin the same speed in the slow lane when theres not much traffic
LOL. This actually bugs me more than a slow(er) driver in the passing lane. I have to REALLY make an effort to go around 2 (sometimes 3) cars, which I think is less safe.

Have you guys noticed that freeway traffic moves in packs. You make your way through one pack to find a few cars "leading" this pack too slow and causing a bottleneck. Once you are finally passed them (if possible), you find yourself at the rear of the next pack. The whole cycle then repeats.
Old 01-10-08, 02:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I wish everyone was aware and practiced the following:
http://amasci.com/amateur/traffic/trafexp.html
http://amasci.com/amateur/traffic/traffic1.html#wv
http://amasci.com/amateur/traffic/seatraf.html

It basically says during slow crawling traffic the WORST thing you can do for traffic is hit the brakes to stop. You cause a wave of brake hitting many cars behind you and it does in fact move like a wave. Instead of rushing up with traffic, driving close to the person in front of you leave a larger gap than usual in front of you. With this gap you can easily prevent sudden stops which obviously cause waves.
Old 01-10-08, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Though sometimes you do get excessively slow people in the left lane, the main problem is that people in the left lane usually want to go too fast. The left lane, legally, is for those going at or slightly above the limit (cops don't usually ticket you within about 8-10 MPH or so above). the right lane is for slower traffic....at or under the limit.

The left lane (or any other lane) is NOT for those who want to be driving WAY above the limit......in fact, many states consider 20 MPH or more over the limit to be reckless driving. If somebody in front of you in the left lane is already going OVER the limit, and that isn't fast enough for you, then it's simply time to slow down.
Old 01-10-08, 02:34 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though sometimes you do get excessively slow people in the left lane, the main problem is that people in the left lane usually want to go too fast. The left lane, legally, is for those going at or slightly above the limit (cops don't usually ticket you within about 8-10 MPH or so above). the right lane is for slower traffic....at or under the limit.

The left lane (or any other lane) is NOT for those who want to be driving WAY above the limit......in fact, many states consider 20 MPH or more over the limit to be reckless driving. If somebody in front of you in the left lane is already going OVER the limit, and that isn't fast enough for you, then it's simply time to slow down.
Exactly, and why would I want to get out of the nice 70 mph flow of the left lane to the middle lane to just have to try to get back over into the left lane for a pass, doesn't make much sense to me.

Quick Reply: About time....watch out left lane slow drivers