Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

About time....watch out left lane slow drivers

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 02:51 PM
LexFather

Short term thinking and 8 year old thinking is "add a law". Or rather revenue thinking.
What is needed are two things.
1. A huge REVAMP and PUSH for driver education. I'm even for bi-yearly testing.
2. No Hondas in the fast lane unless its a NSX or S2000.

That is all (lol)

People think its "their right" to drive in whatever lane they want and some seem to get a sick pleasure driving slow in the fast lane and slowing everyone else up. Its common courtesy as well as part of driver education that there are slow lanes and fast lanes. This IS NOT A NEW PRACTICE.

Old 01-10-08, 02:54 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Macgyver
we need it everywhere. i've done a lot of long trips and this is the most annoying thing. in a 2 lane in a 70mph and a bunch of cars taking up both lanes doing 55 to 60.
In Nevada, too. Hell, they should make the speed limit 70 or 75 here on most highways even in the cities.

It sucks when traffic is moving at 75-80 out here and then you run into a clog up of cars because there's a guy doing 55 in the left lane.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
2. No Hondas in the fast lane unless its a NSX or S2000.
I would just point out that where I live, it's always the cheap cars that are going fast. I always get passed by Toyotas or Hyundais or Focuses going like 90-95, it's pretty hilarious. Usually when I see a supercar it's being driven very slowly - probably an artifact of most people out here in Vegas being posers. :P

Last edited by gengar; 01-10-08 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-10-08, 02:57 PM
LexFather

Its awful in Atlanta. I've taken pics of them (but didn't post b/c I would be called a certain brand hater, lol). Its ridiculous, I have to do a figure 8, perfect 10 drift to pass some numbskull totally oblivious to rules on the road.

I constantly look back. If I see a car coming fast or faster than me, I move OUT THE WAY so they can pass without slowing down.

Old 01-10-08, 03:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
LOL. This actually bugs me more than a slow(er) driver in the passing lane. I have to REALLY make an effort to go around 2 (sometimes 3) cars, which I think is less safe.

Have you guys noticed that freeway traffic moves in packs. You make your way through one pack to find a few cars "leading" this pack too slow and causing a bottleneck. Once you are finally passed them (if possible), you find yourself at the rear of the next pack. The whole cycle then repeats.
see it ALL the time here in socal....

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
Exactly, and why would I want to get out of the nice 70 mph flow of the left lane to the middle lane to just have to try to get back over into the left lane for a pass, doesn't make much sense to me.
coz' you are blocking the car behind you who actually wants to go FASTER than you? you think 70mph is fast, but someone wants to go faster, period. if you don't want to "slow down", accel to pass the "slow" cars on your car and get back to the right lane, rather than continuing at 70mph BLOCKING traffic behind you.

and don't even bring in the talk about faster lane over the speed limit. those people against the law that's one thing, they get pulled over for speeding that's one thing, but that doesn't mean you should be in the fast lane blocking traffic
Old 01-10-08, 03:40 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Oklahoma Highway Patrol for taking the lead. I sent them an email here:

comment@dps.state.ok.us

My dad's simple rule: If you're not passing, stay right.

Unfortunately, it seems like no one in America is aware of this little bit of highway etiquette. These are people who park their asses in the left lane and don't have a friggin clue if you're right behind them trying to move on. Their whole mindset is, "I'm going under the speed limit, so deal with it". If they obeyed the rules, the rest of us wouldn't have to pass on the wrong side of the road. And if there are a bunch of these folks (which is often the case), you wind up having to weave through traffic to move on. The lanes should maintain their speed differentials. If you're comfortable driving really slow, by all means, do it......IN THE PROPER LANE.
Old 01-10-08, 03:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its awful in Atlanta. I've taken pics of them (but didn't post b/c I would be called a certain brand hater, lol). Its ridiculous, I have to do a figure 8, perfect 10 drift to pass some numbskull totally oblivious to rules on the road.

I constantly look back. If I see a car coming fast or faster than me, I move OUT THE WAY so they can pass without slowing down.
wish we have more drivers like you here man...... sometimes i run into couple of drivers who drive like we do (you and me), it's so smooth and easy. we get to fast lane one by one, pass, and then get back to slow lane one by one.

and yeah, the part about having to go aggressive to get in front of those people going slow in the fast lane...... seriously sometimes i think that even more dangerous. coz' i have to gun from 70mph to 90 or 95mph to get back in front just so i can go at 80mph smoothly...
Old 01-10-08, 03:56 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
see it ALL the time here in socal....

coz' you are blocking the car behind you who actually wants to go FASTER than you? you think 70mph is fast, but someone wants to go faster, period. if you don't want to "slow down", accel to pass the "slow" cars on your car and get back to the right lane, rather than continuing at 70mph BLOCKING traffic behind you.

and don't even bring in the talk about faster lane over the speed limit. those people against the law that's one thing, they get pulled over for speeding that's one thing, but that doesn't mean you should be in the fast lane blocking traffic

I'm coming to the realization that nobody has driven in the same traffic I do. I'm not talking about blocking traffic in the left lane, nobody is being blocked! We're all happily traveling at 70 mph (flow of traffic) in the left lane. Just because someone is following does not mean i'm blocking
Old 01-10-08, 03:59 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its far more dangerous when a slow driver starts collecting a pack of cars behind them vs them driving the "speed limit" themselves under a false security of safety, slow people need to realize that

autobahn surprisingly has a lower death rate per 1000 miles traveled than the avg US highway does

BTW the blonde kristin chick thats in the CNN video that got pulled over, is a cutie

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-10-08 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-10-08, 04:06 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Old 01-10-08, 04:14 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

In that picture if the middle lane is going 60 (speed limit) and the left lane is flowing at 70 mph do you change lanes to the right to catch up to that black car and change back to the left or do you stay in the left lane and continue on. I guess it just becomes a 30 mile pass huh? Say there is a long line of traffic behind you flowing along at the 70 mph, you're not blocking them?
Old 01-10-08, 04:26 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Hellll yeah, love this law.
Last night I was on my way home from Irvine. A dumbf*** was stopped on the left lane. I was doing about 85mph, good thing I wasn't doing something else so I saw ahead of time and changed lane.
Old 01-10-08, 04:44 PM
gdot
Lead Lap

I'm coming to the realization that nobody has driven in the same traffic I do. I'm not talking about blocking traffic in the left lane, nobody is being blocked! We're all happily traveling at 70 mph (flow of traffic) in the left lane. Just because someone is following does not mean i'm blocking
I drive in the stuff Scruff. I try to drive the way rominl described earlier by staying right, but a lot of times it just doesn't work out that way up here. I end up driving I-5, I-405 or SR167 in the right lane and passing everybody on the right which I don't like to do. Keep in mind I usually don't drive past 70 either. I noticed that most people who enter the freeway go straight to the 2nd lane or even further, so I let them merge easily and then end up passing them on the right when the right lane was free and clear
Old 01-10-08, 05:01 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

sorry guys, but this is america. this problem will never be solved. education is a problem, but lets face it, no matter what is done it'll never be like germany. courtesy is a part of the educational system, society, and family life. unfortunately, it seems that courtesy in america is forfeit. not saying its a bad thing, but its pretty fundamental to have someone yield to another individual.
Old 01-10-08, 05:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

In that picture if the middle lane is going 60 (speed limit) and the left lane is flowing at 70 mph do you change lanes to the right to catch up to that black car and change back to the left or do you stay in the left lane and continue on. I guess it just becomes a 30 mile pass huh? Say there is a long line of traffic behind you flowing along at the 70 mph, you're not blocking them?
it's driver's judgment. no one tells you to squeeze back to middle lane if that black car is only 2-3 car lengths ahead, since you are on passing mode already. but if there are like 6-7 car lengths, and i sense that the car behind me wants to go faster than 70mph (and i want to keep at 70), i would pass and just cut back in (and that won't affect my flow neither).

but most people? they would just keep on doing 70 (for example here in socal, doing 80 in fast lane is normal). so end result? people behind you have to cut to the right fast, gun the car, get in front, and cut back into your lane. talk about dangerous?

Originally Posted by gshb
sorry guys, but this is america. this problem will never be solved. education is a problem, but lets face it, no matter what is done it'll never be like germany. courtesy is a part of the educational system, society, and family life. unfortunately, it seems that courtesy in america is forfeit. not saying its a bad thing, but its pretty fundamental to have someone yield to another individual.
you are so right on this, that's why i have pretty much given up. it's so fundamental but yet it's so hard to be changed

Originally Posted by gdot
I drive in the stuff Scruff. I try to drive the way rominl described earlier by staying right, but a lot of times it just doesn't work out that way up here. I end up driving I-5, I-405 or SR167 in the right lane and passing everybody on the right which I don't like to do. Keep in mind I usually don't drive past 70 either. I noticed that most people who enter the freeway go straight to the 2nd lane or even further, so I let them merge easily and then end up passing them on the right when the right lane was free and clear
that's exactly the problem, isn't it? just think about why people get on the freeway and they want to immediately get to the faster/fastest lane, instead of merging freeway and then MATCH the speed first.

i see that on my way to work every day. 5 lane freeway, every time i merge, i look back and all the cars in the back go across to faster lanes like no tomorrow, and i just go on slow lane first and change as i increase speed. 10 seconds later? i am on fast lane but they are NO WHERE to be seen behind me. wonder where they went?
Old 01-10-08, 06:02 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

And to think I was just going to start a thread on this. Nothing pisses me off more than this. My daily commute is 95% highway. I hate battling oblivious drivers in the left lane that drive 65 and below. Its insane here in the Philly area. Not only do these drivers camp out in the left lane, they cut you off just to get over and then drive slow in front of you like you're not there (sometimes causing accidents because of evasive maneuvers). I watch drivers go from the on ramp and zoom straight across to the left lane while the right and middle lanes are wide open. What is the point??

And its not just the fact that there is one slow driver in the left lane, it seems like many drivers gravitate to the left lane slowing down traffic for miles. lol, ever wonder why when traffic builds up its always the left lane that comes to a halt first?? And I dont even want to get into the fact that if one person brakes hard then every person behind them has to brake too which causes a big pile up, which I have witnessed countless times. But here I am in the farthest right lane passing everyone in the farthest left lane. What a shame.

I'm so happy someone is enforcing these rules. And yes, drivers ed classes really need to be reissued.

Quick Reply: About time....watch out left lane slow drivers