Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

About time....watch out left lane slow drivers

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 08:01 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i couldnt agree more with this!
Old 01-11-08, 09:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Awesome pictures

Yep, dumb drivers are everywhere. There are no courtesy on the roads at all, doesn't mean that I'm not one though

The ONLY time where I do find courteous drivers or drivers who actually follow the LEFT LANE PASSING rule is on the 15N to Vegas
Once in a while you'll get the clueless with after 5 minutes of honking and highbeam that they'll look up and move over
Old 01-11-08, 10:41 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm going faster than traffic, I stay in the left lane. Is that a bad thing as long as I'm still technicallly passing traffic ? lol. If there's somebody going faster than me, I'll move over.
Old 01-11-08, 11:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

Awesome pictures

Yep, dumb drivers are everywhere. There are no courtesy on the roads at all, doesn't mean that I'm not one though

The ONLY time where I do find courteous drivers or drivers who actually follow the LEFT LANE PASSING rule is on the 15N to Vegas
Once in a while you'll get the clueless with after 5 minutes of honking and highbeam that they'll look up and move over
lol, dude, at least it's good that they move over. some of them would start to become an ***, intentionally slow down more, and when you try to take over, they will speed up
Old 01-11-08, 11:07 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why we have the faster car, haha.
Old 01-11-08, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by aliti19
To this day it still amazes me that not once in drivers ed (back in the day) did ANY instructor ever mention "keep right except to pass".
That's because it's an instructor's job not to encourage gross violations of the speed limit, even in the left lane. If people weren't speeding, there wouldn't BE so much passing.
Old 01-11-08, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
germany or not, speed limit or not, that doesn't matter. you want to stick with speed limit, that's fine. stick with a lane that's at the speed limit. don't do speed limit in the fast lane (if you don't dare to speed).
I think you misunderstood me, Henry, It's not a matter of just nailing the speed limit in the left lane. I said in an earlier post that speed limits weren't necessarily cast in stone...most cops tolerate 8-10 MPH or so over the limit before they pull you over. What I was referring to was those in the left lane who are ALREADY going over the limit......and it STILL isn't fast enough for chronic speeders behind them. Like it or not, we are a nation of speed limits, even if we disagree with some of those limits.....and this may surprise you, but, like you, I don't agree with some of the limits myself.
Old 01-11-08, 06:12 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the physics of traffic and road conditions establishes its own speed limit, you dont need a govt mandated one. If the speedlimit for city roads was 100 mph people wouldnt drive 100 mph
Old 01-11-08, 06:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think you misunderstood me, Henry, It's not a matter of just nailing the speed limit in the left lane. I said in an earlier post that speed limits weren't necessarily cast in stone...most cops tolerate 8-10 MPH or so over the limit before they pull you over. What I was referring to was those in the left lane who are ALREADY going over the limit......and it STILL isn't fast enough for chronic speeders behind them. Like it or not, we are a nation of speed limits, even if we disagree with some of those limits.....and this may surprise you, but, like you, I don't agree with some of the limits myself.
in that case, still, move over. coz' you are still going slower than the car behind you.

for example on i5, sometimes i go 85-90mph, and i see a car approaching fast from behind, doing maybe 100mph. i would still move over to let him pass, unless i decide to go 100mph to match his speed
Old 01-11-08, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
All of Germany is not speed limitless. Its only the autobahn really. They have roads and VERY stern fines for speeding.

If that guy wants to do 90 or 150mph, hey, let me get out the way and let him pass. I am not a cop, I am not the caped crusader (vigilante). Hell, maybe that person is rushing to the hospital or some other emergency.

Now, I DO agree that NOT ALL cars should be in the fast lane if its not in PEAK operating condition or quite frankly, its just not built to go 100mph. That Corolla or Senta on 175 wide tires with the suspension of a Crown Vic. That does scare me.

We need BETTER driver education, period.

I know that all of Germany is not pedal-to-the metal...or even all of the Autobahns, only certain sections. And, at high speeds, tires are usualy more of a critical safety factor than suspension, especially if the road is comparatively straight and does not demand sharp steering inputs. A standard Corolla or Sentra, as you note, is probably not going to have V, W, Y, or Z-rated tires for high-speed......more likely it will be a R or S (up to 112 MPH). A Corolla will do 100 MPH with no problems if it is a straight road, dry pavement, and traffic conditions and the speed limit (or lack of one) allow it....and, of course, if the tires have the proper PSI and the car is not overloaded.

In fact, here.....since you want better education on the subject, we can start with
posting a copy of official tire speed ratings, so people know which is which.

M – up to 81 mph (130 kph)
N – up to 87 mph (140 kph)
P – up to 93 mph (150 kph)
Q – up to 99 mph (160 kph)
R – up to 106 mph (170 kph)
S – up to 112 mph (180 kph)
T – up to 118 mph (190 kph)
U – up to 124 mph (200 kph)
H – up to 130 mph (210 kph)
V – up to 149 mph (240 kph)
Z – speeds above 149mph (240 kph)
The Z rating turned out to be to vague, and so two more ratings were added:

W – up to 168 mph (270 kph)
Y – up to 186 mph (300 kph)
Old 01-11-08, 08:18 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aliti19
To this day it still amazes me that not once in drivers ed (back in the day) did ANY instructor ever mention "keep right except to pass".
Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because it's an instructor's job not to encourage gross violations of the speed limit, even in the left lane. If people weren't speeding, there wouldn't BE so much passing.
This is not to encourage speeding, but common courtesy. Would you really consider a person a speeder if he's got the cruise set on 70-75 and some ignorant fool in the left lane is "doing nothing wrong" at 60??

The rest of the world has instructors that preach that rule. Why should we be an exception to it?
Old 01-11-08, 09:30 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Ok, let's get some facts straight here.. That Charles Kasey is an idiot and most of us here would like to strangle him and MOST of us here have been behind him or his cousins at some point in the past 10 days.

MMarshall - if I understand you correctly, you want to play police officer and feel that you have a right to be in the left lane if you are doing an adequate speed. WRONG. Listen to Abear - you don't know the circumstances of the guy coming up on you at 90. He might have an emergency, he might be reckless, but the fact is, the WORST thing you can do is block him/her. Cause that is going to cause them to do something REALLY stupid. Get out of their way - it might even save your life.

The law (at least here in IL is) - Slower traffic keep right. Yes, that means if you are doing 90 in a 55 in the left lane and some guy/gal comes up on you, MOVE OVER.
Old 01-12-08, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
MMarshall - if I understand you correctly, you want to play police officer and feel that you have a right to be in the left lane if you are doing an adequate speed. WRONG. Listen to Abear - you don't know the circumstances of the guy coming up on you at 90. He might have an emergency, he might be reckless, but the fact is, the WORST thing you can do is block him/her. Cause that is going to cause them to do something REALLY stupid. Get out of their way - it might even save your life.

The law (at least here in IL is) - Slower traffic keep right. Yes, that means if you are doing 90 in a 55 in the left lane and some guy/gal comes up on you, MOVE OVER.

Wrong. I'm not saying I DO that. In fact, I don't....I am rarely in the left lane myself. And I know there are emergencies.

I was only stating the law. The law says that the left lane is for those going legal speeds....whatever those legal speeds (usually 8-10 MPH over until cops start ticketing) The middle and right lanes are for those going those speeds or slower.
But, as there are MANY more speeders than cops, and the police simply cannot adequately enforce that law, the REAL de facto limit in the left lane is probably around 75-80...sometimes more.

So we are both correct. I am legally correct.............you are objectively correct.
Laws that REQUIRE people to move over (like the one in IL you stated) do not condone speeding.

If you really want my honest opinon on the subject, I think that official, posted limits on Interstates are sometimes too low, and don't reflect the real speeds that many people DO drive....but, at the same time, many people also drive too fast for conditions. It is a complex problem, and not one that is easy to solve....requiring people to pull over is only part of it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-12-08 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-12-08, 12:08 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

Laws should reflect the desires of the people, if 90% of the people do speeds over the posted limit - shouldn't the limit be adjusted?
Old 01-12-08, 12:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdoggg1
Laws should reflect the desires of the people, if 90% of the people do speeds over the posted limit - shouldn't the limit be adjusted?
Maybe.....in some places. But people often drive too fast for conditions........especially in bad weather. And traffic congestion, in more and more places, is becoming the main factor of average speeds, not what people want...or what is even posted.

Quick Reply: About time....watch out left lane slow drivers