Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus releases IS-F pricing

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 12:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Great deal from Lexus?? Compare to what?

Speaking in terms of base model to base, S5 starts at 50,500 which is 6k cheaper than IS-F base.

I will have to wait and see how BMW priced their new M3 next monday. If they price under 60k for their M3, it's game over for Lexus.

Don't get me wrong. IS-F is a brilliant car and I absolutely love it! In order to lure the new customers, Lexus has to prove a lot. This is a very tough segment. Lexus needs to massively undercut the price to attracts the buyers. 60k for decently loaded IS-F is just way too pricey. I'd bet the invoice will be about 8 or 10k less.
forget about base, what's base? even "base" they are not apple to apple. get similarly equipped cars and we will talk

put together the pricing of the is-f and the m3, c63, and the rs4. then you can see the comparison. no one really knows how the is-f will go against those cars yet, so your statement is far too early to say.
Old 01-11-08, 01:14 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's expensive. I was hoping somewhere around 52k. I'd pay 10k more and get a GTR if I can.
My thought exactly. Even if the GTR is 75K, it is still quasi exotic and a
far better performance bargain.

IMHO all the other cars : IS, M, and Audi S are cheapened by the ubiquitous presence
of their near lux cousins...
Old 01-11-08, 01:22 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the GTR price per performance makes a ton of cars irrelevant to buy
Old 01-11-08, 02:05 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

In case you haven't notice, people are dropping out from the pre-order lists.
Not in the southern area region they aren't...lists are filling up weekly.
Old 01-11-08, 02:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

If I hear another remark about the GT-R...I'm seriously going to lose it. The GT-R is a fabulous sports car for 70K however, M3s, C63s, RS4s and ISFs aren't SPORTS cars and they don't compete with the GT-R. I'm really happy that so many people here would RATHER have a GT-R. That's awesome! Go stroke yourselves in the Gt-R thread.

The IS-F is an exercise completely unlike the GT-R. A naturally aspirated V8, RWD, and a sedan body derived from an entry level car. It's a statement of how much can be done with a platform that sells 70K units a year in the mainstream, not a dedicated AWD, forced induction track car.

THAT SAID...I think the pricing is spot on. At $56K base it will undercut the C63 by about 8 or 9K, and the RS4 by about 10K although it just ceased production. The M3's pricing obviously has to be determined but it's also a coupe...one major factor that sets it apart from the IS-F. Getting Nav/ML for $60K considering everything else that this car offers is a great price when you consider the whole package. I'm very impressed.
Old 01-11-08, 02:19 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think $56k is a competitive price for an IS-F, considering $70k for a GT-R. Now the price difference even without the possible markup from the GT-R justifies the performance deficit that the Lexus has.
Old 01-11-08, 02:44 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Speaking in terms of base model to base, S5 starts at 50,500 which is 6k cheaper than IS-F base.
You didn't even compare the IS-F to the same class. The S5 is 50 less hp, 70+ less torque and bigger. Compare it to the RS4, which starts at $66,000, which the M3 and C63 will probably be priced around the same, and you got a bargain with the IS-F.
Old 01-11-08, 03:53 PM
LexFather

Great deal from Lexus?? Compare to what?

I will have to wait and see how BMW priced their new M3 next monday. If they price under 60k for their M3, it's game over for Lexus.

Don't get me wrong. IS-F is a brilliant car and I absolutely love it! In order to lure the new customers, Lexus has to prove a lot. This is a very tough segment. Lexus needs to massively undercut the price to attracts the buyers. 60k for decently loaded IS-F is just way too pricey. I'd bet the invoice will be about 8 or 10k less.
RS4 or a RS5 is IS-F competiton. S5 has what 350hp and it not as hard edged nor has the performance of a RS/M/F/AMG car.

Apples to ORanges.

As for the GT-R, we all know its fantastic. Some people have problems paying 30k for a Nissan, let alone 70k

Again, apples to oranges.

Yall drinking? lol

Old 01-12-08, 10:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

The OP's post is an internal press release to it's internal employees. Here is the public PR:

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php?...505&Itemid=155

January 11, 2008 – Torrance, CA
- Lexus today announced the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the all-new 2008 IS F high-performance sport sedan. The IS F is the first production model to wear the new “F” badge and is the fastest Lexus production car ever built. The 2008 IS F launches onto the market carrying a base MSRP of $56,000.

The 2008 Lexus IS F is exclusively powered by a performance-tuned 5.0-liter V8 engine producing 416 horsepower at 6,600 rpm and 371 lb.-ft. of peak torque at 5,200 rpm. With the implementation of a dual air intake system, high-flow cylinder heads with titanium intake valves designed by Yamaha, Variable Valve Timing with intelligence and Electrically controlled intake cam (VVT-iE) and other technological advancements, the engine outputs 83.2 hp per liter allowing the IS F to accelerate from 0 to 60 in a blistering 4.6 seconds and achieve a maximum track speed of 170 mph.

The IS F 5.0-liter engine is mated to the world's first eight-speed Sport Direct-Shift automatic transmission with a quick and direct special lock up clutch and a control system that enables ultra-quick manual upshifts (0.1 seconds) and blips the throttle for precision downshifts. The driver can shift manually using either the console shifter or steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters when driving in either Drive mode (D) or Manual mode (M). The new transmission blends the performance characteristics of an automated manual-type transmission with the smoothness and refinement of a planetary-type automatic transmission, allowing the driver to choose between ultra-quick manual shifts for spirited performance driving and smooth automatic shifts when convenience and comfort are the top priorities.

Tested and tuned on some of the world's most challenging racetracks including Nurburgring Nordschleife and Fuji Speedway, the IS F has been designed for ultimate performance. Although using the basic double-wishbone front suspension and multi-link rear suspension configurations of the standard IS platform, the IS F benefits from a multitude of track-proven modifications that include increased spring and damper rates as well as larger-diameter stabilizer bars. The IS F also sits an inch lower and features suspension bushings and a calibrated Electric Power Steering (EPS) system tuned for a more direct feel.

In addition to the finely tuned suspension, a specially calibrated version of the advanced Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system is equipped to provide superior handling dynamics and traction control. The IS F is also outfitted with a heavy-duty Brembo® brake system designed to the specifications of the Lexus engineering team. The 14.2-inch ventilated, drilled front rotors are gripped by rigid, powerful six-piston aluminum calipers, while the 13.6-inch ventilated, drilled rear rotors use two-piston calipers.

With new and distinctive high-performance design features, the IS F is set apart from standard Lexus models. The IS F exterior styling has a muscular stance with front fascia, hood, fenders, underbody and rear spoiler all shaped to optimize airflow management and give the IS F a signature look. Unique “F” badges composed of silver, blue and black are located on both front fenders followed by a third badge on the trunk lid. Four exhaust diffusers, stacked two per side in a vertical arrangement, are integrated into the rear bumper and leave a lasting sporty impression. The IS F continues to differentiate itself from its siblings with its 19-inch forged-alloy wheels produced by BBS® that feature a distinct dark-gray finish.

Standard amenities include heated, leather-trimmed 10-way power front sport seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, a pollen filter and smog detector; power moonroof with one-touch open/close and seven open-position settings; power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel; three-position memory function for front seats, steering wheel and mirrors; all power windows with automatic up/down operation with jam protection; an auto-dimming rear-view mirror with HomeLink® programmable garage door opener, SmartAccess keyless entry and push-button start, Lexus Premium Audio System with six-disc in-dash CD changer, automated rain-sensing wipers and heated auto-dimming outside mirrors with integrated puddle lamps. Options include a DVD Navigational System with backup camera, 14-speaker Mark Levinson® Surround Sound Audio System, Intuitive Park Assist, Pre-Collision System, and headlamp washers.

MSRP does not include a delivery, processing and handling fee of $765.

Credit: Lexus USA
Old 01-12-08, 10:46 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

remember there is no gas guzzler tax on the IS-F too, if the other cars have gas guzzler tax thats an easy 2-3k more on top of their prices
Old 01-12-08, 11:02 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know maybe it is just me, GTR has mark up of 20K now so it is out of consideraton.
But if a IS-F cost around 61K, I might cross shop it with LS460 ( built one on Lexus.com around 67K )

Entry high performance or Top of the line cruiser. LOL
Old 01-12-08, 01:53 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
remember there is no gas guzzler tax on the IS-F too, if the other cars have gas guzzler tax thats an easy 2-3k more on top of their prices

Really?!! Thats very impressive.
Old 01-12-08, 03:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
really? nice. curious, what and who determines gas guzzler tax?
Old 01-12-08, 03:25 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Combined Fuel Economy

The Gas Guzzler Tax is based on combined fuel economy, which is based on a 55%/45% highway/city fuel economy estimate from the Environmental Protection Agency test.

How Much is the Gas Guzzler Tax?

Vehicles that get at least 22.5 mpg (combined) don't have to pay the Gas Guzzler Tax. The Tax rate goes from $1,000 for vehicles that get at least 21.5 mpg (combined), but less than 22.5 mpg (combined) all the way up to $7,700 for vehicles that get less than 12.5 mpg (combined).
Gas guzzler tax

The Act also created the gas guzzler tax[3] which applies to the sales of vehicles with official EPA-estimated gas mileage below certain specified levels. In 1980, the tax was $200 for a fuel efficiency of 14 to 15 miles per gallon, and was increased to $1800 in 1985. In 1980, the tax was $550 for fuel efficiencies of 13 mpg and below, and was changed in 1986 to $3,850 for ratings below 12.5 mpg. The Gas Guzzler tax only applied to cars under 6,000 pounds, which made SUVs and other large passenger cars exempt from this tax, thus increasing the latter's popularity. Many argue that the 6,000 pound limit is actually counter-productive to the purpose of the Gas Guzzler tax by encouraging the use of large SUVs that avoid the tax due to their high weight. The following chart shows the tax for various levels of MPG as of 2006.
Unadjusted MPG (combined) Tax
at least 22.5 No tax
at least 21.5, but less than 22.5 $1000
at least 20.5, but less than 21.5 $1300
at least 19.5, but less than 20.5 $1700
at least 18.5, but less than 19.5 $2100
at least 17.5, but less than 18.5 $2600
at least 16.5, but less than 17.5 $3000
at least 15.5, but less than 16.5 $3700
at least 14.5, but less than 15.5 $4500
at least 13.5, but less than 14.5 $5400
at least 12.5, but less than 13.5 $6400
less than 12.5 $7700

The combined fuel economy MPG value (55% city, 45% highway) is used to determine tax liability. The MPG value is also adjusted slightly to account for differences in test procedures made since the base year, but it is not adjusted for in-use short fall. The unadjusted combined MPG of a vehicle can be approximated from the city and highway values provided in the Fuel
some quick searching, actually other vehicles might get the lower end of the gas guzzler around probably around the 1000-1700. C63 definately will get a nasty gas guzzler tax

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-12-08 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-12-08, 07:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think 56K is a great price. I was expecting 70K base price.

Quick Reply: Lexus releases IS-F pricing