Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 New York Auto Show: Nissan To Take Wraps off Redesigned 2009 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 10:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default 2008 New York Auto Show: Nissan To Take Wraps off Redesigned 2009 Maxima

2008 New York Auto Show: Nissan To Take Wraps off Redesigned 2009 Maxima

Date posted: 01-10-2008

NASHVILLE, Tennessee — Nissan is not even planning to hold a press conference at next week's 2008 Detroit Auto Show. Instead, it is saving all of its firepower for the 2008 New York Auto Show, where it plans to unveil a completely redesigned 2009 Maxima, a Nissan spokesman confirmed on Thursday.

"We'll show the next Maxima in New York and a couple of other things — but not concepts," Nissan North America spokesman Darryll Harrison told Inside Line. Harrison described the '09 Maxima as "all new" but would not divulge any other details. He also added that Nissan will have a fairly low profile at February's 2008 Chicago Auto Show. Media days at the 2008 New York Auto Show kick off on March 19.

The current Maxima was last redesigned in 2004. It is considered one of Nissan's most historic vehicles and was known originally as the Datsun 810. It was rechristened "Maxima" in 1982.

The 2008 Detroit Auto Show will be the setting for the worldwide debut of the Nissan Forum "exploratory design concept," basically a postmodern take on the minivan. It features trackless sliding side doors and a cabin with a swiveling second-row seat.

What this means to you: Nissan's big splash on the North American auto show circuit will come in March in NYC. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
via edmunds insideline
Old 01-11-08, 11:29 AM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a great time for a vacation back to my "home" state.
Old 01-11-08, 11:37 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Diesel engine option baby!!

I just pray that it looks 80 billion times better than the current gen and offers a manual option again. They completely lost me as a fan with this current gen.
Old 01-11-08, 12:01 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody know if it is going to have the 3.5 or 3.7.
Old 01-11-08, 12:13 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will be there for sure. Bring back the 4DSC theme Nissan.
Old 01-11-08, 12:14 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Diesel engine option baby!!
Nissan's diesel motors are horrible in their passenger cars, at least that what it used to be.
Old 01-11-08, 02:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Nissan's diesel motors are horrible in their passenger cars, at least that what it used to be.
The diesel engine should be coming from Renault if they still plan on following through with what they said earlier. I dont know how Renault diesel engines are, but I would welcome the chagne.
Old 01-11-08, 02:42 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New York has always been Nissan's biggest show, no surprise here.
Old 01-11-08, 03:48 PM
LexFather

I hope they drop the knock-off Lexus look exterior, the cheap interior and the non sporty drive. Just make it an Avalon competitor. They have the G35 now.

Or bring the Maxima back to its former greatness.

Old 01-12-08, 12:53 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I hope they drop the knock-off Lexus look exterior, the cheap interior and the non sporty drive. Just make it an Avalon competitor. They have the G35 now.

Or bring the Maxima back to its former greatness.
Are you talking about the current Maxima looking very similiar to the current Lexus GS? The current Maxima bodystyle is a 2004 model where the current 3rd gen GS is a 2006 model. The current Maxima shares its new look and is similiar to the the larger redesigned Altima which was released well before 2004, if anything it is the 3rd gen Lexus GS that is the Maxima knockoff for the exterior since the Maxima/Altima redesign was released a couple years before the 3rd gen GS. Unfortunately they do look similiar especially the rear ends and I have witnessed people mistake the 2 cars for each other.

I agree I hope the newest Maxima is just made into a smaller lighter pure sports sedan instead of what it is now which is essentially a slight step up from the Altima and more of a Avalon competitor but with a cheap ugly interior and stiffer ride.
Old 01-12-08, 01:02 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do hope that the Maxima looks different from the GS. The 3GS itself was based off of the 2003 LF-S concept; I guess the Japanese makes had some similar ideas there.
Old 01-12-08, 06:21 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

damn I should of waited.
Old 01-12-08, 12:05 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Are you talking about the current Maxima looking very similiar to the current Lexus GS? The current Maxima bodystyle is a 2004 model where the current 3rd gen GS is a 2006 model. The current Maxima shares its new look and is similiar to the the larger redesigned Altima which was released well before 2004, if anything it is the 3rd gen Lexus GS that is the Maxima knockoff for the exterior since the Maxima/Altima redesign was released a couple years before the 3rd gen GS. Unfortunately they do look similiar especially the rear ends and I have witnessed people mistake the 2 cars for each other.

I agree I hope the newest Maxima is just made into a smaller lighter pure sports sedan instead of what it is now which is essentially a slight step up from the Altima and more of a Avalon competitor but with a cheap ugly interior and stiffer ride.

Um, how bout no, Scott The 3rd gen GS is just a new generation of the GS series and if one looks at the 2nd gen GS, they can easily see the evolution of the model. The current gen Maxima looks nothing like the previous gen Maxima. The design for the 3rd gen GS was already in the pipeline when Nissan released their copy. If I were to look at concept pictures of the next-gen Dodge RAM and then release a truck that looked strikingly similar before they could get theirs to market; I'd be called out on it. Nissan did the same thing.

Last edited by Bean; 01-12-08 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-12-08, 12:25 PM
proximal
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I hope they drop the knock-off Lexus look exterior
What part of it looks like a Lexus? The current Maxima is the result of trying to put Z styling cues on a four door (and not doing a very good job of it). Check out the shape of the headlights, integration of taillights, roofline, and mirrors. They even offered it with similar wheels and that orange color when it was introduced.

http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpap...a-2004-005.jpg
http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia...ans_sunset.jpg
Old 01-12-08, 02:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Bean
Um, how bout no, Scott The 3rd gen GS is just a new generation of the GS series and if one looks at the 2nd gen GS, they can easily see the evolution of the model. The current gen Maxima looks nothing like the previous gen Maxima. The design for the 3rd gen GS was already in the pipeline when Nissan released their copy. If I were to look at concept pictures of the next-gen Dodge RAM and then release a truck that looked strikingly similar before they could get theirs to market; I'd be called out on it. Nissan did the same thing.
Exactly. Some people act like they suddenly decided to make their cars out the blue. The 2GS influenced almost every sedan/car, down to the round turn signals in the headlights, to the curved roofline, to the short deck.

I am not going to argue the point, it is obvious, hell you can read owners saying they bought it b/c it looked like a GS.

I love the 3rd-5th gens.

The 6th gen is a knock-off, awful, made in Tennessee farce of a Maxima.

Quick Reply: 2008 New York Auto Show: Nissan To Take Wraps off Redesigned 2009 Maxima