Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Getting the best deal on Lexus certified pre-owned ? URGENT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 09:43 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Getting the best deal on Lexus certified pre-owned ? URGENT!!!!

I am a current Lexus owner of 1998 ES3000 with 90,000 miles. I want to trade it in for a certified pre-owned 2005 and up Lexus RX or 2006 and up Lexus IS. Both car must have All Wheel Drive or some sort of 4wd and have a Navigation system. Can someone give me some tips on getting the best deal? Are prices negotiable? Should I tell them I am a current Lexus owner trading in to upgrade? Should I mention other cars which I plan on buying too?

It is very urgent as I am doing it in the next two weeks.

Thanks

P.S. other cars considering are the late models: Audi A6; BMW 3, 5, 2005 X3, X5; Acura RL. Those models all can be have had with a Navi and 4WD. I really like the A6 because of all its gadgets, power fold in mirrors, computer **** thing to control stuff, blue headlight, etc. The only thing that alarms me about the Audi is how fast it seems to depreciate for it CPO price, $50000 New two years later $30000 with CPO. And the main reason why I like the RL is because it’s like a bargain box. So the two main models being considered are BMW and Audi

Last edited by triplecore; 01-12-08 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-12-08, 10:13 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

If you are getting a 05+ Lexus, why worry about warranty?
We are known to be the most reliable.
I have had 17 Lexus and non of those given me any problem.
only maintainance...

That said, get one from our CL members, you know you are in good hand since we all take good care of our cars. I don't know from your state, but we don;t have private sale tax here in NV! ( the saved tax can used to purchase extended warranty if you really worry about it. )

Good luck on your finding.
Old 01-12-08, 10:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

spam emails to dealers of all kinds
Old 01-12-08, 10:14 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

ohh, yep, work on the sale price before ask them for trade in.
Old 01-12-08, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Since you say AWD is a high priority (as it is with me), look first at the IS250AWD. Like non-turbo 2.5L AWD Subarus, it is somewhat sluggish with the small engine and AWD, and has low ground clearance. But it is plush inside and should be reliable. If ground clearance is an issue for deeper snow, then look at an RX330/350. Or you could check out a new or slightly used Subaru L.L. Bean Outback with the 3.0L six....it is plush inside almost to Lexus levels, comes with a lot of cold-weather equipment, and has perhaps the most well-proved AWD system on the market.
Old 01-12-08, 05:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Since it doesn't appear you've even begun talking to dealers, why is this 'URGENT!!!!'?
Old 01-12-08, 07:25 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Question

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Since it doesn't appear you've even begun talking to dealers, why is this 'URGENT!!!!'?
It urgent because I know what two Lexus models I want because I had them as loaner cars (IS and RX). I also have around $35,000 set aside in cash ready to buy the car; I just want to get the best deal on it. That’s why its urgent. What should I talk to the dealer about then?

Thanks

going to the dealer next week fyi
Old 01-12-08, 07:47 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont go to a dealer, its a lot less trouble to email their internet sales, they will give you a good price so you dont have to screw around with haggling in person (which sucks hardcore). Remember they want to try to get you to the dealer with a good price. If instead youre at the dealer youve already did half the work for them. Internet sales gave me 3500 off on my car just for asking the price, no haggling involved
Old 01-12-08, 08:05 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to the dealers when they are closed to see if they have what you want. Once you find some, go to edmunds.com and look up the prices of the car you are trading in and buying at each dealer. Net the two together so you know around the amount you should be paying for your deals. Also look up the NADA prices of the cars to see what they are selling for at the dealers. Then go to the various dealers and try to work a deal below or at the edmunds price. Try to mention the trade after they give you a price on the one you are buying. Never say that you "love" their car. Act indifferent and say if you can't work out a deal with them, you can go to another dealer for a different car that you would be just as happy with. I will also take down the vins and do a carfax on them to trace their history to set up my pecking order. One owner with a clean record are first on my list. If it is a same make car and dealer you could ask them to trace the vin in their computer to see the service records. Look at the tires on the car. They will tell you alot about the cars history. No name and mismatched says the owner did not care for the car. I will generally end up knowing more about the car then the salesman who sold it to me.

Or you could go private sale both ways and save some $$$$.
Old 01-15-08, 12:39 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Question

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
dont go to a dealer, its a lot less trouble to email their internet sales, they will give you a good price so you dont have to screw around with haggling in person (which sucks hardcore). Remember they want to try to get you to the dealer with a good price. If instead youre at the dealer youve already did half the work for them. Internet sales gave me 3500 off on my car just for asking the price, no haggling involved
How should I ask the internet sales team? Do I just say what the cheapest you can give me for this car?
Old 01-15-08, 01:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/