Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bus on Bags

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 11:58 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bus on Bags

I found this pic in my archives of a past San Diego trip. If anyone else has any bus/van shots then post 'em up! Thought I'd just share!
Attached Thumbnails Bus on Bags-bippu_bus.jpg  
Old 01-12-08, 12:04 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol. so what does this have to do with vip? i dont get it.
for your information, i believe all bus are on air suspension. look at all the city bus'. bags not 100% sure, but they are air equipped.

Charley
Old 01-12-08, 12:06 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

needs spacers...
Old 01-12-08, 12:16 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by charley240
for your information, i believe all bus are on air suspension. look at all the city bus'. bags not 100% sure, but they are air equipped.

Charley
You just don't see this everyday, weather or not it has anything to do with VIP or not, I just thought seeing a big 'ol bus slammed on air would be cool.

Yes, all busses are on some sort of air sus... But you never get to see them this low.

Get it?
Old 01-12-08, 01:34 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

that is so sick lol...i think i spot some neg camber!! and yea i think all city buses are equiped with air ride so they can lower it for the little old ladies that board the bus.
Old 01-12-08, 01:35 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Someone photoshop some dish wheels on there.
Old 01-12-08, 02:10 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chrispy
Someone photoshop some dish wheels on there.
lmfao. yeah, imagine the dish. it'd probably fit your whole body in there.

lol

Charley
Old 01-12-08, 04:59 PM
Balling
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emoshun
You just don't see this everyday, weather or not it has anything to do with VIP or not, I just thought seeing a big 'ol bus slammed on air would be cool.

Yes, all busses are on some sort of air sus... But you never get to see them this low.

Get it?
isnt there a suspension forum?
Old 01-12-08, 05:52 PM
kit cat

the busses in tokyo are weird, they just lean on one side so it's easier to get in/out especially for older ppl and kid. I haven't seen one that all wheels go down like that.
Old 01-12-08, 08:27 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For a time GM and perhaps some other coachbuilders offered what they called a "kneeling" bus in the 1970's that lowered the front end down to the ground to make is easier for handicapped and elderly people to board. I think the front suspension was bagged (as was the rear on all models) to enable these buses to perform this stunt.

If memory serves, most were removed from service after a short time because all of the interlock mechanism that kept the driver from moving with the front end on the pavement was problematical, and the time required to raise and lower the bus at every stop blocked traffic unnecessarily and drivers were reluctant to use the feature. Worse was the tendency of drivers to pull too close and drop the bus onto the curb, causing some damage to the door mechanism. There was some question too about the longevity of a front suspension with this capability, but I don't think enough units remained in service to give it a fair test.

There has been a movement lately to reintroduce the kneeling bus, but combined with today's litigious society, the first guy on whose toes it squats will probably own the franchise.
Old 01-12-08, 08:58 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All buses are on an air system as stated by some members already. Alot of the motor coach buses as well as the High END RV's are equipped with them as well. On the motor coaches, only the front end is bagged so that it can achieve that "Kneeling effect" that LIL4x mentioned. Not all motor coach companies have that, as I believe it is an option for them to have equipped. The companies which use the buses by PREVOST are probably the most commonly equipped with this system. Motor homes are the same way, the front end can kneel in order to make ease of entry a little more easier.
Old 01-12-08, 11:01 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by charley240

Charley
They are Goodyear or Firestone air springs with a kneeling feature. High floor and stepped low floor buses like Gilligs, New Flyers, NABIs, Neoplans and the GMC/TMC/NovaBus RTS will lower the front section, while the Van Hool A300 series used by AC Transit in the Bay Area and the NovaBus LFS will lower the curb side of the bus.

MCIs and Prevosts are tour coaches and entertainers, but MCI does have a good share of the transit market for commuter coaches, and for public use coaches as university buses and prison transports.

Last edited by nthach; 01-12-08 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-13-08, 07:18 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by trukn1
All buses are on an air system as stated by some members already. Alot of the motor coach buses as well as the High END RV's are equipped with them as well. On the motor coaches, only the front end is bagged so that it can achieve that "Kneeling effect" that LIL4x mentioned. Not all motor coach companies have that, as I believe it is an option for them to have equipped. The companies which use the buses by PREVOST are probably the most commonly equipped with this system. Motor homes are the same way, the front end can kneel in order to make ease of entry a little more easier.
That "kneeling" effect your talking about is common amongst city buses. I use to commute on motor coach buses and PREVOST I may have seen has that capability. I've been on the newer coaches from MCI and I haven't seen anyone of those newer ones "kneel" but then again I've not commuted on those in awhile.