Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Dumb" Things You've Done To Or With Your Car As A Newbie Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 10:38 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuan92129
(This was in my truck)
killed some shrubs and flowers
At least it's not human you've killed
Old 01-14-08, 11:08 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my 00 grand am I was in a parking spot and I decided to pull forward cause I didnt want to back up and the space in front was empty. I was surrounded on all sides and forgot that there was a small concrete pathway that devided the cars. I put it in drive and next thing i knew I was sliding upwards. I had 2 friends in the car and I just said I cant believe in left it in drive and not reverse. I think they bought it but gave me a hard time about it anyway. No damage done though except my pride. Then when I got my 07 lex IS I was coming home from this chicas house and I decided to take a corner to fast. It was raining out and the stock tires suck major ***** and I slid into the curb. I had this huge piece missing from my rim and it ruined my wheel assembly and would grind at around 60. Had to call the insurance and it cost me 250 bones. Ill never do that again! Oh and there are various mods I did on my 00 grand am that I jacked up and thats why Im sticking to rims, tint and lowering springs only.
Old 01-15-08, 12:29 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking one of those ramps that are like a "C" at 65mph and realizing it at the last second. Thankfully I didn't fly into a ditch but drifted around the "C" in my ES. First AND last drift I'll ever do in my car...
Old 01-15-08, 01:27 AM
Sc.ab
Pole Position

I have 2 stories! Both with the same car.

About 3 months after I got my first car, my 90 Celica GT-S, I went out driving with some buddies, and we decided to go through a run through a twisty canyon which was mistake number 1.

My buddy had a 300zx at the time and he led the way. We go to the drive and he never told me where the damn canyon twisties started, and I had never driven the route before and it was late around midnight, which was mistake number 2.

So he guns it and i try to keep up, and i take 1 or 2 corners somewhat ok, but I felt like I wasn't in control, mistake number 3, I kept driving quick, the next turn was was a full downhill 180 turn where the apex tightens up even more. I was going way too fast, and completely under-steered, I may has well not have even turned the wheel. I just went straight into a ditch, narrowly missing a tree to right by a couple of feet. Luckily, my passenger and I were fine, and my car also suffered only minor damages, and the cop was extremely forgiving, and let me off the hook.
Scariest night of my life.

-------- Story Two

So this story happened Valentine's day 2004. I had just gotten off work ( Albertson's at the time) and some buddies were waiting in the parking lot. We were at the side parking lot where there weren't very many people or cars around at the time which was about 9:30pm.

We just hung out and talked for a bit. So we finally decide to leave, and one of my friends as he is leaving does a giant peel out leaving the lot.

So here is where the big mistake happens, I thought, " I can top that!!" OH will I always regret thinking that >.< So as I leave the parking lot i decide to yank on my parking brake, and I slide around one of one of the planters.

So I am mid slide, and I end up doing a 180, which was fine by me, but I look to my right, Cop car, and I look to my left another cop car. I was boxed in

So they verbally arrested me (glad I was under 18 at the time), and I got reckless driving as a misdeamenor ( Later I had it reduced to exhibition of speed as an infraction). Parents came and picked me up. Ugh another horrible night of stupidity!!!

Both time I was completely at fault for my stupidity, and I paid for it.

I learned my lesson

Last edited by Sc.ab; 01-15-08 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-15-08, 04:01 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

My first car was a 95 Accord EX-L and I used to change my own oil. I put too much oil in and it was throwing oil so I tried to just move the drain plug for a sec and let some run out..........AFTER DRIVING THE CAR!!

Needless to say, a little dripped out, scolded my hand and I had to let go so all my oil came out and I was stuck!lol
Old 01-15-08, 07:47 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have left the phone on top the car and driven off....one time, I made it to the gas station amazingly and it was still on there!!!
I've done this with my wallet. I had a '93 Talon with the spoiler, i left work and set my wallet on top of the car and when I got home I realized what I did and it was gone. As I was standing there in shock thinking about how i'm going to retrace the 15 miles I just drove I noticed a line in the dusting roof going down the back window and right to the spoiler where my wallet was still sitting, thank god!
Old 01-15-08, 08:04 AM
hass
Lexus Champion

I went tray sliding in my Legend back in 02, put two plastic trays under my rear tires than pulled the E-brake. My caliper went bad right after that night.
Old 01-15-08, 08:24 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hass
I went tray sliding in my Legend back in 02, put two plastic trays under my rear tires than pulled the E-brake. My caliper went bad right after that night.
Haha, a few of the guys from high school would go do that on a weekly basis. I never saw the point.
Old 01-15-08, 08:49 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol i have a video of my friend doin that in her jetta ... she did it a couple times till she misjudged the space between her car and a little concrete parking block ... She needed to replace her rear passenger rim and tire after drifting into it lol
Old 01-15-08, 09:49 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
This is about two months after my niece decided to put diesel gas in her tank after like three weeks of owning the car. She saw that nobody was at the diesel pump and decided to pump it her tank.
I stopped a girl from doing that

I thought the nozzles were a different size and won't fit the regular gas tank-no???
Old 01-15-08, 09:58 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

It was long ago and I was stupid. . I was wiring the audio system in the trunk of a car in 100 degree heat summer afternoon and the trunk lid fell shut. The temperature rised up so quickly and I was sweating like a dog. I was stuck in there a short time and it was hotter than HELL. I did not panic and managed to get out. I was lucky.
Old 01-15-08, 10:28 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Red face

Since we have opened the confessional, I'll add a couple:

Being an "experienced" engine builder/overhauler, I was doing a "top end" on the '52 Dodge I drove through my freshman year in college at my uncle's aircraft shop. It was standard procedure to remove carburetors, disassemble them, and put them in a hot caustic bath with a shaker for an hour or so as a part of the procedure to remove gum and varnish that had collected in the passages.

While I removed the head, intake, and exhaust manifolds to get to the flathead I-6's valve tappets, the chemical bath did its thing.

Evidently I didn't know the difference between the carburetor used on those big radial aircraft engines and the cheap 1/bbl Ball & Ball carb on my Dodge. When I cranked my parts basket out of the "pickling vat", I found only a gasket, a couple of o-rings, and a few random brass fittings. The carburetor itself had dissolved . . . but the jets were sparkling clean!

A dozen or so years earlier, I sabotaged the family car at the tender age of three or four by carefully stripping beans out of mimosa pods and putting several double hands full in Dad's gas tank. I must have thought I'd found some organic solution to motor fuels, but when the car sputtered and died, there was a large-scale mystery until Dad pulled the fuel filter (underhood, about the size of a soup can, with a replaceable element), and found it filled with mimosa beans.

That was the end of my playing with the gas cap - Dad had to drop the tank to reverse my handiwork, and he bought a locking gas cap. Not so much to protect against gas thieves, but to keep No. 1 son from "helping". I must have done a lot of that, because my "scientific" projects kept him busy and me a familiar fixture in the doctor's waiting room for years.
Old 01-15-08, 10:57 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ hahahahah
Old 01-15-08, 11:28 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Lets see, I let my brother drive my GS around my grandmothers yard(big farm) he hit a pipe he couldnt see, ripped my plastic wheel guard out, and bent a tie rod, lol, I shoulda known better.
Also, it was about 2 weeks after I got the car, and I took a turn a little fast and wound up on the curb, no big deal, it didnt do anything to the car because I hit it straight, had I been turned, Im pretty sure I woulda needed a new wheel and new front suspension, haha. Other than that, I really dont mess around to bad in my car.
Old 01-15-08, 02:53 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Here's one of many:

For some reason I decided to pull the e-brake at 50 mph on wet roads...for no reason. This was in my Ford Focus though. Needless to say I grinned the median like a skateboard and eventually came to a stop in oncoming traffic. Only damage was my tie rod that I bent in half.

Quick Reply: "Dumb" Things You've Done To Or With Your Car As A Newbie Driver