Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Dumb" Things You've Done To Or With Your Car As A Newbie Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 01:07 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did some unintentional "off roading" in a car that was not designed for that, destroyed the suspension on one side of the car.
Old 01-16-08, 02:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I used to drive a lot more stick when I was younger and by habit I had to check myself when I would get into an automatic vehicle, that would be one of our family's two Jaguar XJ6s. One day while driving I was coming up to a light after just having driven an old Porsche 914 we were fixing up and thinking I was coming from 2 to 1 on the shift, shifted (thankfully at low speed) from D to R, engine roared and within a second I shifted to P.
Old 01-16-08, 07:15 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

let's see... oh, that curb is still far enough away, I'll just pull into this parking spot and leave plenty of room between me and the guy next to me... scrrrrrratch!!! Get out and look only to find my new rims scratched. That was the 1st week of ownership. Nicked another rim about a week or two later. At least the curb rash is not too noticeable and you have to be staring right at it to see it.

Many years ago, my 1st year in college, I ran into a parked car. Was on a busy 2 lane road in a residential area and there was a pickup parked in front of one of the houses - not many people parked in front of their houses in this area. It was raining and by the time I saw the parked car and tried to change lanes, it was too late as the cars in the other lane did not let me in. Hit the brakes and they locked up (this was before ABS)... slid right into the pickup. Quite embarassing!
Old 01-16-08, 07:44 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I used to drive a lot more stick when I was younger and by habit I had to check myself when I would get into an automatic vehicle, that would be one of our family's two Jaguar XJ6s. One day while driving I was coming up to a light after just having driven an old Porsche 914 we were fixing up and thinking I was coming from 2 to 1 on the shift, shifted (thankfully at low speed) from D to R, engine roared and within a second I shifted to P.
oooo I tried that, but the other way around

I was in a parking lot, waiting for people that never arrived... The lot's empty, I reversed and turning, try to see if the front end will spin 180, then I slapped in D half way, (this was in a 03? C coupe) the engine jerked and stalled, check engine lights, and misc lights and warnings on the display...

I thought to myself, ah crap, I broke my brother's Merc, now what Then I shut the car down, restarted it, well, here goes nothing, and drove home. I never attempted anything other then just normal driving in that car from that point on.
Old 01-17-08, 09:32 AM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only bad thing I can think of was before I got my license...
I was 15 and my dad let me plow the driveway by myself in an longbed pickup. I didn't know the dimensions of the car and whacked in the back of my dad's brand new Jaguar VDP. Needless to say he helped me the rest of the time, hahaha.
Old 01-17-08, 10:31 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

Back when I smoked cigarettes I used to always ash out of my sunroof and leave my windows up. On a couple of occasions I thought the sunroof was open when it actually wasn't and tried to ash through the moonroof. Then I get showered with burning hot embers and almost wreck trying to put them all out before they burn anything.

Good thing I don't smoke anymore.
Old 01-17-08, 11:25 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Letting a fat girl sat on top of the roof.
Old 01-17-08, 12:09 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have left the phone on top the car and driven off....one time, I made it to the gas station amazingly and it was still on there!!!
Originally Posted by tcheung87
Haha +1, except I left a cup of tapioca milk tea on my roof, got home and was like "what in the...?"
These remind me of the old 90's LS400 commercial where they placed a pyramid of champagne glasses on the hood. It was on a dyno and was driven to 160 and they didn't even budge. I hear Lexus actually carried that out to make sure it worked before advertising.

I think the dumbest thing I've done is to test what speed my SC400 would hit the limiter. This is on the highway and when I'm at about 250km/h, and a semi is in the oncoming lane. Sure I didn't feel ANY wind at all, but for all I know I could have been flipped over if the SC wasn't very aerodynamic.
Old 01-17-08, 01:58 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MCG33
Back when I smoked cigarettes I used to always ash out of my sunroof and leave my windows up. On a couple of occasions I thought the sunroof was open when it actually wasn't and tried to ash through the moonroof. Then I get showered with burning hot embers and almost wreck trying to put them all out before they burn anything.

Good thing I don't smoke anymore.
I pulled a similar stunt back in college. I was driving my roommate's classic '54 Austin Healey roadster to Austin from Houston on a cold, wet, nasty evening. The Healey had a heater, but it was absolutely ineffective, what with the panel gaps, stiff side curtains, and ill-fitting top. At speed, it was only slightly less windy inside than out. I was bundled in heavy jeans, flannel shirt, a heavy corduroy car coat and a newsboy cap, complete with boots and driving gloves.

Just to complete the sports-car ensemble, I was smoking my pipe - all at about 70mph in the cold blowing rain when I developed the sudden urge to sneeze. When you are dealing with fewer than two turns lock-to-lock on some of these old cars, the slightest movement of the wheel can bring about an instantaneous lane change. With my concentration riveted on hanging onto the steering wheel at all costs, my sinuses nearly exploded as my diaphragm convulsed - blowing the entire flaming contents of my pipe into the canvas top, from which point it showered me in glowing embers that were fanned by the stiff breeze leaking around the top and side curtains.

I nailed the brakes and shot off the side of the road, where after skittering to a halt, I proceeded to dive out of the car through the tiny door opening and swat furiously at the coals that were now burning their way through my clothes. I arrived back at school a couple hours later, half frozen and looking like someone had taken a flamethrower to my coat, jeans, and even my cap; but thankfully there was no damage to the car.

My roomie only suggested next time, instead of all that cotton, I wear my flame suit.

After that, although I continued to smoke for several years, I took care when smoking and driving - I'd been burned once.

Last edited by Lil4X; 01-17-08 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-17-08, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I pulled a similar stunt back in college. I was driving my roommate's classic '54 Austin Healey roadster to Austin from Houston on a cold, wet, nasty evening.

Just to complete the sports-car ensemble, I was smoking my pipe - all at about 70mph in the cold blowing rain
70 MPH.....in the rain? With RWD and the hydroplane-prone tires of that era?

That alone was as much, or more, of a goof than the pipe itself.
Old 01-17-08, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

My biggest automotive "goof", as a teen-ager in the late 60's, was perhaps the fact that I and my best friend liked Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and other big luxury cars at a time when most of our other friends and colleagues laughed at them (Oh, but yes, we liked muscle cars, too).
Old 01-17-08, 08:21 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Not much.. I almost caused dozens of accidents when I was a young driver, but nothing fun to share here. Except when I was reversing ES350 at a Lexus dealer after coming back from testdriving, I hit the wall hard enough to make visible dent on the rear.
Old 01-17-08, 11:02 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
70 MPH.....in the rain? With RWD and the hydroplane-prone tires of that era?
Amazing what a 2660 cc 4 cyl with a pair of 3/4"-throat SU's and a whopping 100 hp could do with a lightweight aluminum body. 100 hp pushing a fairly aerodynamic body through the storm at 70 on a set of Michelin X's felt pretty well planted, as compared to its contemporary American cars.

With a 3-speed manual and the optional electric overdrive functional on 2nd and 3rd gear, you had an effective 4-speed tranny (2nd OD and 3rd direct were practically the same). The function of that long switch sticking out of the instrument panel just behind your right forefinger on the wheel was to engage/disengage the overdrive - that did not require use of the clutch. The drill was to sneak up behind someone in 3rd OD, wobble the high-beam lever, then snap the wheel smartly left-right as you brushed the OD switch off, producing an immediate downshift to 3rd direct as you sidestepped the traffic lane, and nice passing power with a lovely blare of the twin exhausts as you disappeared in a faint glow of taillights and a whirl of spray.

It may have been dumb, but you did it again and again . . .

Last edited by Lil4X; 01-26-08 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-18-08, 12:23 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Heres a good one:

One day a year back I had gotten off school and had noticed a friend had pulled up at a stoplight in His Mustang GT. Well I pull up next to him and he rolls the window down and the car is LOADED with hott chicks. He pointed at the light and revved. I had a pretty modified Lincoln LS8 at the time so I revved back.

The light turned green and we were off down main street. I got ahead of him and started slicing through traffic for probably a mile. Well a light caught me and him again except he was back a few cars. I heard sirens and looked in the rearview...there he wass at the top of the hill barreling down on us. The light turned green and I punched it and turned off the road into a sub-division. I waited a few minutes and pulled back out on the road and they had pulled my friend over.

Well I made my way back to the house and got ready for work. I get a call 2 hours later from my dad that a cop was on his way to talk to me. It turns out that my friend ratted me out that day for a reduced ticket. I admitted to the whole thing and explained the situation. He let me off with a warning because he thought I was a "good kid." He said that he nailed my friend though sense he was being a ******** about it all.

Every stupid thing Ive done (besdies a top speed run) has always been near home and always seen by law enforcement. And it ironically happens with the same groupe of people. maybe that's a sign or something lol
Old 01-18-08, 06:02 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Overestimated the amount of traction I had when i came up on a big hole in the road. very nearly cost me my life.

Quick Reply: "Dumb" Things You've Done To Or With Your Car As A Newbie Driver