Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Dumb" Things You've Done To Or With Your Car As A Newbie Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 07:10 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Dumb" Things You've Done To Or With Your Car As A Newbie Driver

OK, ok here's the deal. This morning I helped my nephew with a flat tire on his ES. I decided to check the pressure on his other three tires and was shocked to find out that the gauge read over 80 psi. I was like boy what are u doing riding with that much air in your tires. He was going by looks only and never used a tire gauge even though he has one in his glove compartment. This is about two months after my niece decided to put diesel gas in her tank after like three weeks of owning the car. She saw that nobody was at the diesel pump and decided to pump it her tank. The only dumb thing that I can remember doing was to my parents car. I was pumping gas (not diesel ) and continued to pump the gas even though the pump kept stopping. Next thing you know gas starts spilling over on the car, hands and a little on my jacket. The station attendant let me use the bathroom to wash up and I was on my way. Got home to only get scolded by my father after telling my parents about what happened.
Old 01-14-08, 07:14 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode my Hyundai EXcel into Lucky's ( later bought by Albertson ) store when I was practicing driving ).
Old 01-14-08, 07:17 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

so many stories so little time...... heres one from like 3 days ago
I ran into the garage door also i put my laundry basket on top of my car and it scratched it. also i saw a soccer ball on the road and didnt brake and thought i could drive right over it(im used to driveing a SUV) and i was in my new IS and it kinda made funny noises. Um, thats all from the past 3 days.
Old 01-14-08, 07:32 PM
LexFather

I have left the phone on top the car and driven off....one time, I made it to the gas station amazingly and it was still on there!!!

Old 01-14-08, 07:52 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have left the phone on top the car and driven off....one time, I made it to the gas station amazingly and it was still on there!!!
Haha +1, except I left a cup of tapioca milk tea on my roof, got home and was like "what in the...?"

Another time is when I parked at a local shopping mall and when I got back I saw the space in front of me was vacant, so I decided to pull through instead of putting it in reverse but I forgot about the concrete blocks that are placed at the end of the space, so I start going and then feel my car climb on top of the bump and over ever so roughly, and since I was halfway through I just finished it and drove over both blocks. Thank goodness I have an RX.
Old 01-14-08, 07:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I didnt do many stupid things, but I think after the first month I got my license, I had basketball practice after school and I went to move my car to the other building and while backing up into a spot by the door, I actually ran into the building. I was actually backing up and looking down doing something else not paying attention to where I was going. Thankfully I wasnt moving fast and there was barely any damage to my bumper, just a few scratches.

Who in the hell runs into buildings!!!?? Unbelievable. So embarrassing.
Old 01-14-08, 07:58 PM
LexFather

There are times I forget it has rained and I open the sunroof and all the damn water falls on me...lol

Old 01-14-08, 07:59 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put water on the rotors b/c i wanted to change the brake pads and the rotors were hot.

...needless to say, I needed new rotors too after that.
Old 01-14-08, 08:21 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On my 82 corolla sr-5, pulled off the dual 44 mikunis and put on a single sidedraft manifold and put on a JUST FINISHED REBUILDING 48 webber, started the car and POP huge backfire and flames were comming out of the carb, it was so cool i kept watching... had to rebuild the carb AGAIN after that... but watching the fire was cool thou
Old 01-14-08, 08:24 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
+1 except it was my ipod and some people on the highway waved me down... I was on a road trip
Old 01-14-08, 08:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
put water on the rotors b/c i wanted to change the brake pads and the rotors were hot.

...needless to say, I needed new rotors too after that.
Doesn't rain get on them all the time?
Old 01-14-08, 09:13 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Stupid things done to or with.....
Does 3 people in a Honda Del Sol count?

Oh another one is that on my DSM, I've got a cone intake, and I've made a shied on it, I can't see the filter, and when I've decided to clean it, that's after about 3 months since I've last checked it, I found the filter itself was separated on the base of the filter, thus I was sucking in anything out there. lol then I've changed the filter and a few months later, the turbo for a bigger one.
Old 01-14-08, 09:23 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

So many dumb things, so little space.
I had a bad habit of not turning my lights off when it rained and come back to the car with a dead battery, one time it happend while parked at college and stopped me from sleeping with one of the hottest girls I have ever met after she said she wanted me to take her to her dorm and hang out but I could not get the car started and had to get my uncle to give the battery a jump.
I have accidently drove over parking blocks I did not know where there.
Went too fast and misjudged speed into turn and ended up with 3 flat tires and bent axle after hitting curb.
Spun out on a wet/icy road in my grandmothers Bonneville and then get nailed by a Hyundia.
Almost pumped deisel in my car but luckily the nozzle did not fit in my tank and I realized what happend, last time I let my cousin hand me the gas pump.
Some things I should have paid more attention to in maintenance I let go only for it to bite me in the end.
Had a paint can fall over and spill in my trunk because my cousin did not put it on right.
Shut fishing rods in my hatchback and broke the tips off.
Old 01-14-08, 10:02 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Doesn't rain get on them all the time?
yeah, but thats just a drizzle. i took a bucket load of cold water and let it steam lol. they were warped badly.
Old 01-14-08, 10:11 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

(This was in my truck)
-I'm driving to the Salk Institute Highschool Day with a friend, and i have no clue where i am going and preoccupied with reading the directions. Made a wrong turn and I'm going over the freeway overpass look down at the paper, look up, theres a RED light for me, and GREEN light for the freeway off ramp.
All i remember....was dodging the white 07 camry...steering left into oncoming traffic and slamming on my brakes and ABS light flashing...narrowly missing a Mercedes Benz S. So this is a divided 4 lane road, and oncoming traffic about 1/2 a mile ahead...and i take my truck offroading over the center median planter...killed some shrubs and flowers
Thats one day ill never forget. (3 months after getting the license)

Quick Reply: "Dumb" Things You've Done To Or With Your Car As A Newbie Driver