Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura Will Introduce Clean Diesel i-DTEC Engine in 2009

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 08:12 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Acura TSX gets diesel power next year

We've already been introduced to Honda's new i-DTEC clean diesel and, as expected, it will be finding its way into the next generation TSX sometime in 2009. The inclusion of the 2.2-liter diesel will follow the redesign of Acura's entry-level sedan sometime this spring, with the i-DTEC-equipped model initially debuting in Europe (in the Euro Accord) and eventually finding its way into the RDX crossover later next year. A V6 diesel is also expected to arrive sometime in 2010.

According to **** Colliver, Acura's executive veep of American Honda Motor Corp., Acura will be a totally different brand in the next five or six years, further differentiating itself from Honda and becoming a tier one luxury brand with its aim set squarely on BMW and other luxury automakers.

A new TL will debut later this year and the TSX replacement may also come equipped with the turbocharged four found in the RDX when it goes on sale this summer.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/21/a...wer-next-year/
Old 01-21-08, 09:37 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see Acura becoming a Tier 1 luxury marque until they start developing more RWD powertrains to start with.
Old 01-21-08, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol...well at least they will finally have an engine with some torque!
They already do, Mike. Go drive an RSX.
Old 01-21-08, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

More and more companies are going to be introducing, clean, efficient, new-technology diesels like this, now that we have the low-sulfur fuel for it. I still think, in the long, run, that gas-electric hybrids are going to become less and less important as new diesels gain more acceptance in the U.S., although the relatively high price of low-sulfur diesel fuel still needs to be addressed.
Old 01-21-08, 10:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They already do, Mike. Go drive an RSX.
I am assuming your are making a funny? I believe the Type-S at the time had 160lbs tops.

Originally Posted by GFerg
Acura TSX gets diesel power next year

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/21/a...wer-next-year/
Another useless press release. Tier 1 in 5-6 years huh....

I'll check this post in 5-6 years, I bet on hell no.

They are saying the Acura TSX is getting a diesel. They should say "The next Euro Accord gets a new diesel which means the American TSX will get it".

Who are they fooling?

Old 01-21-08, 10:10 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
I dont see Acura becoming a Tier 1 luxury marque until they start developing more RWD powertrains to start with.
Acura seems to be moving torwards a complete lineup of SH-AWD across the board.
Old 01-21-08, 10:49 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This 2.2L is crap. I read the review of it in Car and Driver and they only got 33 mpg in their diesel Civic and it is obviously not a quick car either. And its 150 lbs heavier than the Civic hybrid, 300 lbs heavier than a regular Civic. One could get a Corolla and average 35 mpg.
Old 01-21-08, 10:52 AM
LexFather

One other thing, diesel gas costs more, sometimes as much as 30 cents a gallon.

I DO think Acura offering diesels is a good move. Honda makes fantastic diesel engines and it can give them something different they offer to the competition.

If anything, I see VW owners jumping to a diesel Acura and not much of anyone else outside the usual Honda faithful.

Old 01-21-08, 11:15 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

An older article
http://world.honda.com/news/2004/4040506.html

Honda Diesel Sets New World Records

U.K., May 6, 2004 – Honda’s new Accord 2.2 i-CTDi Sport has this week set no fewer than 19 world speed records and achieved 3.07 litres / 100 km (92 mpg) fuel economy to boot. British racing driver Robin Liddell and freelance journalist Iain Robertson were part of the European record-setting team.

Amongst the speed records set, which were all achieved in Production Car Class B (2000 – 2500 cc), were 133.04 mph (1 mile flying start), 84.25 mph (1 mile standing start) and an average speed of 130.38 mph over a 24-hour endurance period. These records were all set at Papenburg high-speed oval test track in north-west Germany on 1 and 2 May, and are all subject to FIA ratification.

Two production cars, randomly selected by FIA officials, were used to undertake the speed records, and apart from the fitting of roll-cages, racing harnesses and radio equipment for track-to-pits communication, no other modifications were made to the cars.

Following the speed record attempts, the same two cars were then driven 419 miles from Papenburg test track to Wiesbaden, near Frankfurt in order to complete the fuel economy run. The route comprised of a mixture of motorway and non-motorway driving, during which one of the Accords achieved a staggering 92 mpg average.
Old 01-21-08, 12:02 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put it this way, if Honda succeeds, then we can see some of Toyota's good diesel engines too.
Old 01-21-08, 01:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

More and more companies are going to be introducing, clean, efficient, new-technology diesels like this, now that we have the low-sulfur fuel for it. I still think, in the long, run, that gas-electric hybrids are going to become less and less important as new diesels gain more acceptance in the U.S., although the relatively high price of low-sulfur diesel fuel still needs to be addressed.
not really... diesels are becoming very expensive, and all the high tech is making them a lot more unreliable than petrol engines.

I presume that we will see diesel-hybrid from Toyota in Europe soon, but it will be pretty expensive.

In reality, hybrids are more suited for Europe while Diesels are more suited for USA. Problem is that Diesels are becoming very expensive while Petrol engines are getting more and more efficient.

Shortage of clean diesel fuel is going to be hurdle as well.
Old 01-21-08, 01:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am assuming your are making a funny? I believe the Type-S at the time had 160lbs tops.

No, no jokes. I was serious.....and was referring to the RSX. You were making a comment about the new Acura diesel that Acura finally had an engine with torque. The current production RSX has plenty of torque, and a good power-to-weight ratio from Honda/Acura's first U.S. market turbo four. Remember my double-review of the new MDX/RDX? I remarked back then how much snappier the RDX's drivetrain was than the MDX's, even with the MDX's larger V6.
Old 01-21-08, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
not really... diesels are becoming very expensive, and all the high tech is making them a lot more unreliable than petrol engines.

Shortage of clean diesel fuel is going to be hurdle as well.
Even high-tech diesels are somewhat simpler than gas engines. They do require a larger battery, stronger block and bearings because of the enormous compression forces in the cylinders.....as any diesel does.......but, with compression-ignition in the cylinders, the electrical system is much simpler, without traditional spark-plugs and the complex, coil-on-plug ignition systems today's gas engines use.

Clean diesel fuel is already here in the U.S., though currently it is not cheap. But, as more and more new diesels create more of a demand for it, more will be produced to meet thet demand, and the economies of scale will lower the price somewhat.
Old 01-21-08, 02:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

emissions system is more complicated in a diesel, particulate filters, several cats
Old 01-21-08, 03:13 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

No, no jokes. I was serious.....and was referring to the RSX. You were making a comment about the new Acura diesel that Acura finally had an engine with torque. The current production RSX has plenty of torque, and a good power-to-weight ratio from Honda/Acura's first U.S. market turbo four. Remember my double-review of the new MDX/RDX? I remarked back then how much snappier the RDX's drivetrain was than the MDX's, even with the MDX's larger V6.
You typed RSX originally instead of RDX which is where the confusion fame from.

Quick Reply: Acura Will Introduce Clean Diesel i-DTEC Engine in 2009