Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Mercedes E-Class UPDATES

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 12:09 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the earlier pictures of that white car were accurate, the Sonata butt is live and well, as is the 3GS front end, and...why does that car look so out of proportion?
Old 09-28-08, 02:08 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, but I miss the old style MB tailights with the grooves.

Old 09-28-08, 02:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I think the current E class is a little too "Vanilla" looking. It's not bad by any means, but it just doesn't look expensive. I think the current A6 and 2GS are best looking in class.
I think the current E class is really the only car in its class that really looks upscale and when most people even non auto enthusiasts see it automatically see it as an pretty expensive upmarket luxury car. It is a very elegant design and looks the part. The other cars in its class just are not very successful in looking or being automatically assumed as expensive and upscale at first glance and can often be mistaken for lesser priced cars or almost ignored. The current E class does not really jump out at you or is as sexy as the CLS or is really a fantastic modern edgy design but it accomplishes exactly what it is supposed to better then its competition and that is to automatically look expensive and upscale even if it does not stand out too much with headturning looks.

Considering its horrible reliability record and being so overpriced for what you get and other sedans in its class outperforming it, having newer/more features and options, being much more reliable, and being much better values it is amazing how the E class sells so well and it is mainly because it accomplishes what it is supposed to and reassures the people who buy it just for the badge and name that it has that elegant upscale look that they demand and know people will automatically assume it being expensive and upscale and the owner having alot of money. No other car in the segment accomplishes that even close to the E class, the 5 series sells so well predominantly based on its sporty more youthful image and fantastic reviews and praise as a drivers car and it being the benchmark for sports sedans but based on looks the 5 series in my opinion completely lacks the upscale and expensive looks the E class has in spades and the 5 series must sell on how it drives and not its looks or image. If the 5 series did not drive so well it and be the standard of sports sedans it would be an absolute failure based on design inside and out and what it offers.
Old 09-28-08, 02:38 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I like it, but I miss the old style MB tailights with the grooves.

Those clears ABOVE go with one of my favortie E class models below. I do love the power of the current gen E55/E63 though..

Old 09-28-08, 02:40 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

That is my favorite E class. I actually have to disagree with UDel on this one. I think the current E class is very generic. Kind of like the Ford Taurus (last gen.) of Germany. A nice interior yes, but the exterior is not exciting to me.

Personally, I would like a 500E. Those things still sell for $30,000, 15 years later.
Old 09-28-08, 04:58 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
+1

What a terrible redesign. I thought they did a good job with the S-class, a great job on the C-class, decent with the SL but this is pretty bad. I particularly don't like the sharp upward angle of the character line in the 1Sick's picture. I hope that is wrong.
Old 09-28-08, 05:23 PM
LexFather

Sadly new Benzs don't look good at all unless they have the AMG sport kit.

I consider the current E-class best in design in its class and pretty timeless thus far.

Old 09-28-08, 06:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm, the current generation looks better to me still (if the pics are real)
Old 09-28-08, 06:17 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Doesn't look good at all, at least from that angle in that^^picture ......
Old 09-28-08, 07:13 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

yep, it kinda swoops down.. i don't like it either (from the pictures)
Old 09-28-08, 07:30 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The quad fog lights thing is just stupid. The whole vibe I get from it is almost "Dodge-ish"... like what Dodge likes to do with their trucks... bigger/bolder/more in your face. But to me it just look gaudy.

With that said I sure wouldn't kick it out of bed... but we're being critics here so might as well be critical.
Old 09-28-08, 10:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well from that picture by itself I give it a big

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
I particularly don't like the sharp upward angle of the character line in the 1Sick's picture. I hope that is wrong.
+1
Old 09-28-08, 10:51 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

down for me too. Even the driver in the picture doesn't looked too happy about the new design either.
Old 09-28-08, 11:49 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

too bad they had to go and ruin a good thing
the current gen is one of my fav E class
apart from W124 E class
Old 09-28-08, 11:57 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Last gen and the current gen look way better than this one. The current S-class and C-class both look very well, this new E is a failure styline-wise in my opinion.

Quick Reply: 2010 Mercedes E-Class UPDATES