Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Infiniti Q flagship still in doubt

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 07:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default New Infiniti Q flagship still in doubt

Infiniti considering adding new flagship

Posted on Monday 14 January 2008

Of the three major luxury Japanese brands, Lexus, Infiniti and Acura, only Lexus could be considered as a true rival to the more established German premium makes because of the other two’s limited lineup. However, Infiniti is working hard to become a major player in the premium segment as well, and is planning to launch several all-new models in coming years to expand its range.

One of the new models under consideration is a flagship saloon to replace the old Q sedan, which ended production in 2006, according to Automotive News. However, the man at the top, CEO Carlos Ghosn, is “not convinced” Infiniti needs such a car and is waiting for management to prove developing an expensive, low-volume model has a sound business case behind it.

All hope is not lost. Infiniti North America exec Mark Igo claims Ghosn is “beginning to feel pretty good about it,” and that it has the backing of the dealers. In fact, Infiniti retailers from around the world met in Japan to discuss potential powertrain and transmission options for the car. The only problem was that dealers from different markets all wanted specific options and none could agree on a common platform.
via motorauthority
Old 01-15-08, 08:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think they can do it, but I just don't think it will be profitable with all the competition.

However, they should still do it to help the brand image. Infiniti lacks the luster needed to make them truly "luxurious."
Old 01-15-08, 09:09 AM
LexFather

Didn't they just releast the Q45 is dead and there might be a 4 door coupe concept thing coming? Well no one is holding their breath for this vehicle and like the last 3 generations, if it does come, it won't matter.

They should try to convince Nissan to rebdage the GT-R into an Infiniti, make it more plush etc. It already has the same circular tailights.

Old 01-15-08, 09:35 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I like infiniti and what they have to offer.
But for starter, they got to remodel their showrooms. It's pretty pathetic for a "luxury" brand
Old 01-15-08, 10:23 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Didn't they just releast the Q45 is dead and there might be a 4 door coupe concept thing coming? Well no one is holding their breath for this vehicle and like the last 3 generations, if it does come, it won't matter.

They should try to convince Nissan to rebdage the GT-R into an Infiniti, make it more plush etc. It already has the same circular tailights.
Was just thinking the same thing. They should try and bring some excitement to the top end of their line. A badge engineered GTR should work better than a next gen Q.
Old 01-15-08, 11:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well, the GT-R might make a good supercar or top-line sports car, but would it really serve as a flagship for a luxury-car line? I think not. It is too small, too hard-edged, and too track-oriented a car to replace the old Q45. A better option, IMO, would be to stretch the M45's chassis, soften the firm suspension and tires, and give it a super-plush interior. Then it would be more like its LS460 competition.
Old 01-15-08, 11:45 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Infiniti needs a v8 performance/luxury coupe and I think that would be a better halo car. If they do a larger luxury sedan I think it should be more along the lines of a Merc CLS or Mazerati Quatroporte and just be a little larger then the M45 but be lower and sleeker and focus more on headturning looks and performance. The last thing they should do is another boring large oversized/overweight boat like the last Q45, there are enough luxury barges out there. Infiniti is more sport oriented so they should focus on that instead of big floaty luxury sedans.
Old 01-15-08, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
The last thing they should do is another boring large oversized/overweight boat like the last Q45, there are enough luxury barges out there. Infiniti is more sport oriented so they should focus on that instead of big floaty luxury sedans.
I'm not sure I agree. Infiniti badly needs something to head-to-head with the Lexus LS, which has dominated the Japanese flagship-sedan market for years. They are simply not going to do that with a sport-oriented sedan or coupe. One of the reasons the LS series, over the years, has done so well (besides its well-earned reputation for quality) is that it is NOT sport-oriented like some of its competiton...it generally puts comfort and quietness above all else, although the new, lower-profile tires on the LS460 have cost it a small amount of ride smoothness compared to the 400 and 430.

In fact, when Infiniti DID try marketing a sport-oriented Q45, it turned out to be a flop.....in all three generations. Even the second-generation Q, which had a slightly smaller engine, more wood trim, and a softer chassis, did not do well, mostly because of the way that the first-generation Q, with its sport-oriented design, turned off luxury-car buyers. The 3rd-gen Q, which once again was firmed up with more sport-orientation, was even more of a flop.

The last thing they should do is another boring large oversized/overweight boat like the last Q45, there are enough luxury barges out there.
The Q45, as I have just pointed out above, was not really a "luxury barge" or a "boat"...and THAT was its problem....it was too sport-oriented. If you are going to compete with the Lexus LS460, then a big luxury barge is what you HAVE to build......apples and oranges don't mix.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-15-08 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-15-08, 12:25 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, the need to drop the "Q" badge and go with something else. It's a failure and most previous models have been an eyesore.

Second, this will only work if their new car exceeds all competitors in every way. To get the attention they need, they will need to build a car with more HP, better handling, smoother and quieter ride, and more luxury than any top-tier competitor is providing. A tall order indeed.

Then, price it $20,000 less than the current LS to draw in people who feel alienated by the outrageous pricing of the fully loaded LS460L sedan, when compared to the old LS430 model. There is still a huge group of value consumers out there who would jump on this the same way they jumped on the LS bandwagon for the last dozen years.
Old 01-15-08, 12:28 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Q45, as I have just pointed out above, was not really a "luxury barge" or a "boat"...and THAT was its problem....it was too sport-oriented. If you are going to compete with the Lexus LS460, then a big luxury barge is what you HAVE to build......apples and oranges don't mix.
Yezzirrrr! That's exacly what Nissan must do. Expand with a larger more luxurious M45. That car actually has presence, as does their highly successful G35 coupe. It can't be that difficult to build an alternative to the LS.
Old 01-15-08, 12:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by drink300
First off, the need to drop the "Q" badge and go with something else. It's a failure and most previous models have been an eyesore.

Second, this will only work if their new car exceeds all competitors in every way. To get the attention they need, they will need to build a car with more HP, better handling, smoother and quieter ride, and more luxury than any top-tier competitor is providing. A tall order indeed.

Then, price it $20,000 less than the current LS to draw in people who feel alienated by the outrageous pricing of the fully loaded LS460L sedan, when compared to the old LS430 model. There is still a huge group of value consumers out there who would jump on this the same way they jumped on the LS bandwagon for the last dozen years.
I agree with most of your points........and it would not be a bad idea to drop the "Q" designation. But it would be very difficult to build a good LS competitor for $20,000 less, especially for a Japanese manufacturer, although it MIGHT be possible in low-priced Korea (Hyundai, right now, is working on a possible LS460-fighter).

And if you think the LS460 is overpriced, when I reviewed the IS350 the other day, I took a look at a White Pearl LS600H they had sitting in the showroom......$115,000 on the factory sticker. That, friend, is REAL money.
Old 01-15-08, 01:09 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Infiniti just needs to rebadge the GTR ala 350z/G35, and bring out a flagship sedan to shake up the luxury market.
Old 01-15-08, 01:28 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I agree that they have a golden opportunity to tool an Infiniti variant of the GT-R. As for a new full-sized lux cruiser only time will tell. They've been burned enough in the past (although the original Q45 was a fantastic car) that they had better really come with their A-game next time. I think it's about time that there was once again another choice in an ultra luxury sedan from Asia to compare to the LS.
Old 01-15-08, 06:05 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

They need to put out a better performing higher-end G37 coupe out. They won't need much more money. What's so difficult about putting some force induction on that car and giving it some minor treatment (brakes, body kit, suspension, etc). The car already handles great, only thing is the lack of power.
Old 01-15-08, 06:22 PM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

They need a new Q

Quick Reply: New Infiniti Q flagship still in doubt