Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Price Haggling Tip? Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 09:18 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Price Haggling Tip? Thanks

When buying a new or used car I learned from this forum with my other post that you are not supposed to tell the dealer you plan on trading in a vehicle until the price has been set in the 4 box. What I am not sure about is how do you answer the sale man if he asks you if are going to trade in? Because I don’t think it would right to directly say no, as wouldn’t it change the price when he discover later that your plan to trade a car in? Also if the dealer gives a final offer higher than yours after bargaining should you tell them your final offer and walk out? Or just say to expensive and leave? Thanks
Old 01-15-08, 09:34 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would just say i dont know.
the only way he can read that is to not assume anything and do the best he can.

if you don't like the dealer's final offer, don't buy...especially if you're in a position to look around.. its likely they may try to renegotiate later. but only walk away if you're comfortable doing so (and not getting that car). if you feel its really a good price and consistent with what you understand the market values to be- buy it. dont haggle 'just because'
Old 01-15-08, 10:37 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that doesn't work. if you spring a trade at the last second, they will just work a new deal. they wont' just take the trade allowance off the bottom line. it doesnt' work that way.
the best way to make a deal is to be honest and forthcoming from the beginning. i'm sure you looking at a lexus, so the salesperson will be a professional, not some used car slick rick, so act professional and they will do the same. they will give you wholesale for your trade in and sell you a car at retail.
Old 01-15-08, 03:29 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

email internet sales, dont screw around and waste time haggling at a dealership
Old 01-15-08, 03:54 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
email internet sales, dont screw around and waste time haggling at a dealership
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 01-15-08, 04:29 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by integra144
When buying a new or used car I learned from this forum with my other post that you are not supposed to tell the dealer you plan on trading in a vehicle until the price has been set in the 4 box. What I am not sure about is how do you answer the sale man if he asks you if are going to trade in? Because I don’t think it would right to directly say no, as wouldn’t it change the price when he discover later that your plan to trade a car in? Also if the dealer gives a final offer higher than yours after bargaining should you tell them your final offer and walk out? Or just say to expensive and leave? Thanks
Another way to approach your dilemma is that you don't have to answer the salesman's question altogether OR you could say "Yes, I am planning to trade the car in, but I want to discuss the price of the new car and the trade separately". This is the favorite trick at the dealership where they juggle all the factors (monthly payments, trade and the price) to confuse you. Deal with all variables separately and arrive at the total price first.
Old 01-15-08, 04:38 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont even mention a trade, just ask the price. Heck I got a price over the net just for asking, no one asked if i had a trade in. DO NOT GO INTO A DEALER TO HAGGLE, you will want to kill yourself after. Spam emails, if you dont like a dealers price, tough for them, search some more.
Old 01-15-08, 05:48 PM
fdelement
Driver

never talk about trade-in. Dealer may give you a decent price on the new car, but you will lose $$$ from your trade-in. Buying a car from a dealer really has nothing to do with the trade-in. You should get the OTD numbers first and be willing to buy it at that price before you start talking about trade-in. Once you're happy with the trade-in value, you take the OTD-Tradein = final price of new car. This way, even if the trade-in doesn't work out, you still have a OTD price you're willing to pay for your new car.

If the sales person asks you about trade-in just say you don't know and you're still thinking about it.
Old 01-15-08, 06:00 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Why trade at all? Sell the car yourself, you will always do better. Dealers give wholesale whether you tell them when you walk in the door, or when you decide to purchase a new car.

It does take some time to sell yourself, but it is worth it.
Old 01-15-08, 06:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,415 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Mods - merge with other thread?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=329150
Old 01-15-08, 06:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by integra144
You say "No, I'm going to sell it myself." Then, when all is said and done, you come back with "what if I traded?" They will screw you 4 times over on the price if they can, so why on earth would you worry about whether it's "right" to tell him you aren't going to trade?

If you get yourself a really sweet deal on the purchase, they WILL try to low ball you on the trade. If there's no money in the deal, then there's no money. But--it's unlikely that the purchase price is SO low that they can't at least give you Kelly Blue Book price on the trade.
Old 01-15-08, 06:28 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
that doesn't work. if you spring a trade at the last second, they will just work a new deal. they wont' just take the trade allowance off the bottom line. it doesnt' work that way.
the best way to make a deal is to be honest and forthcoming from the beginning. i'm sure you looking at a lexus, so the salesperson will be a professional, not some used car slick rick, so act professional and they will do the same. they will give you wholesale for your trade in and sell you a car at retail.
If they re-neg on the deal, you tell them FU and you walk out, and take the great price they gave you to another dealer, tell them you are ready to sign papers at the 1st dealer.

But, in my area of PA, if the car isn't in pristine condition that they'll keep on their lot, all the dealers will give you the local auction house price, as a max. They just tell you straight up--"This is what Manheim will give us." I'm sure there's a fudge factor there, but the dealers are more consistent on the trade price then they are on the purchase price, so I tend to think it's somewhat credible.
Old 01-15-08, 08:59 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

thanks i found a 2004 Lexus RX CPO with 50,000 miles for $26,000 which I think is a good deal. So I put a $1500 down payment on. What do you guys think on the price?
Old 01-15-08, 09:29 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

also I dont need to have it checked by another dealer as it is Lexus CPO right?
Old 01-15-08, 09:58 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know about the market for your area, but I helped my friend negotiate an 04 RX in the fall of 2005 for $26k. It was a CPO also with ~40k miles. It was actually manufactured in March of 03 so mileage wasn't high if you you are looking at a 2.5 yr old car. I used that to BS that it had high miles and we could only offer so much given its wear. I made a final take it or leave it offer and let them know we were leaving and they took it.

I always recommend making a final offer and head to the door. If they call you back, you got your price. If they don't stop you, you can always tell them you changed your mind after you got in your car. Either way you know you did the best you could.