Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NBC Bringing Top Gear Pilot to U.S.(Leno or Seinfeld could host NBC Top Gear)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 07:04 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NBC Bringing Top Gear Pilot to U.S.(Leno or Seinfeld could host NBC Top Gear)

The popular British TV series Top Gear will follow in the footsteps of The Office and be adapted for American TV audiences.

The Top Gear show is part test-driving seriousness and part male-appeal stunt programming.

Product-placement heaven: NBC calls the Top Gear program an "innovative way to partner with our advertisers."

BURBANK, Calif. — NBC has ordered a pilot for an American version of the U.K. smash sensation Top Gear. Although the show apparently will feature a completely new cast, producers say it will still feature "the irreverent spirit of Top Gear."

With the Writers Guild of America still striking in full force, networks have been scrambling for non-scripted content. In practice, this has led to helpings of The Biggest Loser 5 and Celebrity Apprentice — and to NBC's decision to bring Top Gear to the United States.

The Office is the most recent example of a BBC program that has done well in a U.S. adaptation, and Top Gear is NBC's shot at repeating that success. The British show features the expected test-drives of supercars — but also more lighthearted segments such as a giant game of soccer with a bunch of tiny VWs, or a contest to see which host can build the best amphibious car to drive across a lake.

Ben Silverman, NBC co-chairman, seems to think it's a brilliant move. "Top Gear is a proven international hit which fits perfectly into NBC's lineup of programming with male appeal, including Sunday Night Football and American Gladiators," he said in a statement. "We're always looking for innovative ways to partner with our advertisers, and this show offers a great platform for the latest in car culture."

What this means to you: If NBC is using the show as "an innovative way to partner with their advertisers," will that stop the hosts from trashing vehicles, even if they're made by an NBC sponsor? Let's hope not. — Paul Tassi, Correspondent
Soruce: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=124360#2

I know this has been on and off in the past, but it looks like a go this time.
Old 01-16-08, 07:46 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Main thing NBC needs to do:

Remember that the British show is all about bashing most cars out on the road, especially American made cars. An American show needs to bash all types and makes of cars appropriately, and glorify the few and rare cars that make a difference in the industry.

If GM or Ford sponsors NBC, they better not call the shots regarding the reviews of cars...
Old 01-16-08, 08:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

I'm struggling to imagine who could be good hosts for this in the U.S.

Jeremy Clarkson's role:
Tim Allen
Jay Leno (YEESSS!)
??

Richard Hammond's role
??

James May's role
??
Old 01-16-08, 08:07 AM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Think the british version is a great show (heck, even my G/F enjoys it to see what kind of crazy/wittiy things they will do next)

I dunno, I think they might mess up a good thing.!!
Old 01-16-08, 08:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listening to their British accents and colloquials is half the fun!
Old 01-16-08, 08:53 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by King7Two
I Think the british version is a great show (heck, even my G/F enjoys it to see what kind of crazy/wittiy things they will do next)

I dunno, I think they might mess up a good thing.!!

Im excited, but I wouldnt want them to completely emulate the show. They should have their own style to it. But this is a show that I would most definately watch.
Old 01-16-08, 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Jeremy Clarkson's role:
Tim Allen
Jay Leno (YEESSS!)
??

Richard Hammond's role
??

James May's role
??
not only that, the hosts need to know how to drive cars on the track like the UK hosts
Old 01-16-08, 08:58 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know where they get the idea that Top Gear is unscripted it - Jeremy Clarkson is writing it right up until filming begins.
Old 01-16-08, 09:06 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no faith in an American version of the show.

The show appeals to car nuts and auto manufacturers advertising targets car nuts. Considering Clarkson bashes the majority of cars they drive (not to mention every American car made), will the manufacturers go for it? I doubt it.

Plus, the British market has a pretty eclectic mix of vehicles for sale. Americans buy SUVs and family sedans and tend not to stray from that formula.

Last edited by shern; 01-16-08 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-16-08, 09:12 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shern
I have no faith in an American version of the show.
+1.
Old 01-16-08, 09:13 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I don't know where they get the idea that Top Gear is unscripted it - Jeremy Clarkson is writing it right up until filming begins.
I was thinking of that also.

Guess NBC going to hire illegal immigrants to write their shows or outsource it to Canadians or the Brits.
Old 01-16-08, 09:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Jeremy Clarkson's role:
Tim Allen
Jay Leno (YEESSS!)
??

Richard Hammond's role
??

James May's role
??
Tim Allen and Jay Leno are actually car guys.. Not a bad cast.. I remember years ago Tim Allen wanted to bring out his own line of performance Cadillacs before the V series came to fruition

Old 01-16-08, 09:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Helio Castroneves should enjoy his current popularity. I think he would be a good test driver (if audience members can understand him)...
Old 01-16-08, 09:48 AM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ive watched Top Gear for a long time now. An american version to me wouldnt be as good. The show is scripted, but most of the humor done is improvised on the spot (from seeing the uncut versions of news and some car presentations). PhilipMSPT is right as well, Top Gear does bash a lot on the American cars (Lexus as well lol). I could only imagine what Jeremy will say when he hears there will be an American Version top gear. "Petrol drinking, cheese eating, 300lb man who tries to resemble testing a car?! Thats absolutely bonkers!
Old 01-16-08, 09:49 AM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

jerry seinfeld would be perfect for the show... a comedian and porsche fan. not too sure about jay leno. i saw him review an audi r8 and i wasn't too impressed.

here's a vid of a funny seinfeld clip http://youtube.com/watch?v=RC_N5x_glIo "black saab rules! soo long jacka$$!"

Last edited by flipspeed; 01-16-08 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: NBC Bringing Top Gear Pilot to U.S.(Leno or Seinfeld could host NBC Top Gear)