Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fake Private Parts(on trucks) Target of Virginia Lawmaker

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 10:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Fake Private Parts(on trucks) Target of Virginia Lawmaker

... some are claiming they cause potentially dangerous distractions on the road ...
Fake Private Parts Target of Virginia Lawmaker

Posted: 6:29 PM Jan 15, 2008
Last Updated: 11:59 AM Jan 16, 2008
Reporter: Hailey Frances

One Virginia delegate is taking aim at drivers who dangle a certain car accessory from the backs of their trucks.

Virginia Delegate Lionel Spruill is drafting a bill that will no doubt stir up some interesting conversation among lawmakers. He wants to ban the use of a car accessory designed to look like male genitalia.

Auto Xtras, an auto parts retailer in Lynchburg, sells a brand called Truck Nuts.

They say they sell 40 to 50 pairs of Truck Nuts a year, mostly to women.

"It's all in fun. It's like anything else. You got a big truck like that; you throw something like that on it," said store employee Shane Eastwood. "It's all for attention. Everybody who does this sort of stuff does it for the attention."

As soon as Spruill's bill is drafted, Virginia lawmakers will have to give these dangly auto parts a onceover.

Spruill is taking the lead from a Maryland delegate who worked to get these accessories off the road last year.
more : http://www.charlottesvillenewsplex.t...13818807.html#
Old 01-16-08, 10:35 AM
nn432100
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol I always laugh when i see that!
Old 01-16-08, 11:26 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ha ha... I always laugh, actually, my office lady's brother has it hagging on his Tacoma...
Old 01-16-08, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A dumb law for an even dumber accessory.
Old 01-16-08, 12:43 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

while i admit it's a silly thing to put on your truck, is this really important enough to spend that much time drafting bills against? i thought we had more important things to worry about...
Old 01-16-08, 02:09 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I laugh at people who have these......mostly insecure people...
Whats dumber is the fact that the gov can ban these items....who's fault is it if you get distracted while driving? <- the driver. dooh.
Old 01-16-08, 02:44 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea thats a pretty dumb thing to do. I thought we could express what we wanted...even if it means dangling blue nuts from our trucks.
Old 01-16-08, 02:47 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

With all the issues out there today, it befuddles me that legislators waste so much time making laws about nuts hanging from trucks and baseball players using steroids. What a joke.
Old 01-16-08, 03:54 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
With all the issues out there today, it befuddles me that legislators waste so much time making laws about nuts hanging from trucks and baseball players using steroids. What a joke.
not only baseball players, but now certain entertainers. what the **** is going on with our gov't these days?!! 4 people under the suspicion of using juice and they get all bent out of shape? wow.
Old 01-16-08, 04:29 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The article says that they are mostly bought by women? I find that suprising, lol.

They are funny though.
Old 01-16-08, 05:05 PM
RenaultOne
Rookie

Seriously legislators should not spend their time with such trivial matters. Isnt this opposition to the freedom of speech? I know there are some types of speech that aren't protected by the First Amendments, but this is absolutely absurd. When I watch TV in other countries (esp. in Europe) everything is shown, unlike some things are censored in the US media. I think this whole issue stems back to America's Puritanical roots. It seems like violence is more accepted in the American media than sexuality. SCREW CENSORSHIP!!!

Last edited by RenaultOne; 01-16-08 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 05:19 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RenaultOne
Seriously legislators should not spend their time with such trivial matters. Isnt this opposition to the freedom of speech? I know there are some types of speech that aren't protected by the First Amendments, but this is absolutely absurd. When I watch TV in other countries (esp. in Europe) everything is shown, unlike some things are censored in the US media. I think this whole issue stems back to America's Puritanical roots. It seems like violence is more accepted in the American media than is sexuality. SCREW CENSORSHIP!!!
Actually the US does not have Puritanical roots. It has Deist roots. Its just that the Christian majority (or at least the ones that claim to be) was running things in the 50s when the media revolution began to take hold. It just became normal and accepted. Keep in mind 'things' is more or less popular opinion, etc. Most people are sheep anyways, but there's a lot of sheep! Ex: Changing the Pledge of Alliegance to say "under God", etc

Now you've got Southern Baptist preachers running for president arguing about whether Jesus was Satan's brother with a Mormon also running.

And on the rest of your statement, I completely agree!
Old 01-16-08, 05:23 PM
RenaultOne
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bean
Actually the US does not have Puritanical roots. It has Deist roots. Its just that the Christian majority (or at least the ones that claim to be) was running things in the 50s when the media revolution began to take hold. It just became normal and accepted. Keep in mind 'things' is more or less popular opinion, etc. Most people are sheep anyways, but there's a lot of sheep! Ex: Changing the Pledge of Alliegance to say "under God", etc

Now you've got Southern Baptist preachers running for president arguing about whether Jesus was Satan's brother with a Mormon also running.

And on the rest of your statement, I completely agree!
Thanks for the clear up!
Old 01-16-08, 08:34 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to America, where Important priorities are at the bottom or near bottom of the list, and punitive and issues, that shouldn't even be considered issues, are at the top of the list
Old 01-17-08, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RenaultOne
Seriously legislators should not spend their time with such trivial matters. Isnt this opposition to the freedom of speech? I know there are some types of speech that aren't protected by the First Amendments, but this is absolutely absurd. When I watch TV in other countries (esp. in Europe) everything is shown, unlike some things are censored in the US media. I think this whole issue stems back to America's Puritanical roots. It seems like violence is more accepted in the American media than sexuality. SCREW CENSORSHIP!!!
So, because European society is more raunchy and vulgar than we are, does that mean that WE have to follow suit? Two wrongs don't make a right......our society is raunchy and vulgar enough as it is. And you are correct that some types of speech are not First-Amendment protected.

And I wouldn't point any fingers at America's so-called "Puritannical" past. Our forefathers, the people who wrote the Constitution, came here to get away from even worse persecution in (guess where)? ........EUROPE.

Now, having said that, I agree the whole matter itself is silly....and that legislators should not be tied up with this kind of stuff. That's why I said in my first post that it is DUMB law for an even DUMBER act of hanging something stupid from a vehicle.....and in this case, two dumb things don't necesarily make something smart.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-17-08 at 06:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Fake Private Parts(on trucks) Target of Virginia Lawmaker