Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Exquisite 2008 BMW 760Li "Individual Edition"

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08 | 04:42 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Cost or whatever....... It works!

Simple, understated, elegant, functional. That's all I need a dash to do.
Old 01-21-08 | 08:33 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
c'mon doug, its not even close. BMW said themselves in either Fortune or Businessweek, another reason for the new flat dashes was to cut costs. It is easier to build/assemble for RHD/LHD compared to the previous drivers oriented dashes like this below.
Mike
I was not trying to be a smart *** and I honestly did not remember my 5-series dash angling towards me as show in the pics. I agree they look cool but I think my ignorance was from the fact that I've never noticed the dash in my car being overly straight or not "driver centric". Never saw the BW article but it does make sense.
Old 01-21-08 | 08:40 PM
LexFather

D, I didn't take it that way at all. As a youth, I grew up loving driver's oriented dashes in BMW, the Supra etc. The GS is slightly angled since day one.
It was "odd" to me the "drivers" luxury car company ditched the drivers oriented dashes for flat dashes. But the company has reinvented itself inside and out so I guess I just have to love the old ones.

IMO, the 5 dash is BY FAR the best of the new BMW dashes. I really think they hit a good point with their new modern look. The rest= no comment
Old 01-22-08 | 08:10 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

c'mon doug, its not even close. BMW said themselves in either Fortune or Businessweek, another reason for the new flat dashes was to cut costs. It is easier to build/assemble for RHD/LHD compared to the previous drivers oriented dashes like this below.
I find the above a bit hard to believe...Sorry. Can you find these and post them please? The dashes on current BMW's are much more driver oriented than past models. The nav screen is set higher in the dash than previous gens (you can keep your eyes more so on the road rather than looking down). Less sun glare do to the material and texture compared to the hard shiny plastics of the past models. Just excellent visibility overall.. Drive a BMW in real life, and one will truly realize how functional the dash designs are. Here are pics from my gallery of the dashes on my vehicles.

Old 01-22-08 | 09:15 AM
LexFather

^^^

How can you argue a FLAT dash is more driver oriented than a CURVED dash toward the driver??

Very cute "Real life". How about REALITY CHECK.
Old 01-22-08 | 09:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

^^^

How can you argue a FLAT dash is more driver oriented than a CURVED dash toward the driver??

Very cute "Real life". How about REALITY CHECK.
Reality check you say.. Ok, lets get real then..How are the curent BMW dashes flat? This is flat_______________________

Have you been behind the wheel of a BMW?
Old 01-22-08 | 09:37 AM
GS3Tek

I believe encore and sick was talking more about the 7 series having the flat dash. The other series and older 7 series are angled.

Thanks for this picture too. Not to go OT, so the w220 did did have a similar interior design also to the older 7.
Old 01-22-08 | 09:42 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Reality check you say.. Ok, lets get real then..How are the curent BMW dashes flat? This is flat_______________________

Have you been behind the wheel of a BMW?
Not just behind but driven then. Have you driven both new and old BMW? Or just the new ones you are smitten with?

Old BMWs, all 5,000 buttons are easily in reach, the dash is ANGLED towards me, the driver. The passenger almost has to intrude to change anything on the dash. Even though I am tall, I can reach the controls very easily.

New BMWs, the dash is flat and there is no angle. Its horizontal left to right and vertical. The passenger can touch the same controls I can.

That is all I am saying. Now I have to find reviews where the writer states "BMW has gotten rid of their drivers oriented dashes for more stylish ones with I-drive" as you somehow think a FLAT dash is more driver oriented than an angled on.
Old 01-22-08 | 10:06 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Not just behind but driven then. Have you driven both new and old BMW? Or just the new ones you are smitten with?

Old BMWs, all 5,000 buttons are easily in reach, the dash is ANGLED towards me, the driver. The passenger almost has to intrude to change anything on the dash. Even though I am tall, I can reach the controls very easily.

New BMWs, the dash is flat and there is no angle. Its horizontal left to right and vertical. The passenger can touch the same controls I can.

That is all I am saying. Now I have to find reviews where the writer states "BMW has gotten rid of their drivers oriented dashes for more stylish ones with I-drive" as you somehow think a FLAT dash is more driver oriented than an angled on.
lol.. Yes I've driven new(excluding my own)here and elsewherehttps://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ultimate+drive including the mentioned model in this thread (7series). In addition, I drove older BMW models including my late father's 1982 528i. The new BMW's have a curved guage cluster.. Which BMW(s) did you drive again? Doug mentioned earlier in this thread that the dash in his 5 series is not flat at all. Any other BMW owners like to chime ? I would like to know what you consider flat Mike.. Not to go OT here, but do you consider the 2nd gen GS dashboard flat?
Old 01-22-08 | 10:38 AM
kit cat

E39s were perfect (for it's time). as much as that new 7series individual does look beautiful, I wonder if it still feels relatively cheap, especially how the 3 buttons feel of the bottom of the dash.

and maybe the whole angled dash thing was a thing of the 90s. Toyota did it with their MarkII/Chaser/Cresta dashboard to make it more driver oriented...but look at the Mark-X now.