Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Infiniti FX-series Spy Shots

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 07:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
While it is a "F" model, the Lexus 5.0 is more tuned for longevity, not all out power. And it has 416hp from a 5.0 V-8 as a comparison.
Not only for longetivity, the IS-F 5.0L V8 is tuned for fuel economy as well instead of all-out power. The IS-F V8 can easily rev to over 7000 RPM, but Lexus tuned it conservatively mainly for fuel economy and of course for longetivity.

We don't even have to compare the IS-F 5.0L. Let's compare the LS hybrid's 5.0L to this Infiniti 5.0L. The 5.0L in the LS hybrid makes 388HP and 384 lb-ft. Keep in mind the 5.0L in the LS hybrid is very conservatively tuned for maximum fuel economy.

Originally Posted by GFerg
Though I think the interior of the FX is very nice, why do all new Infiniti's have the same center stack??

Can you even tell which Infiniti model these interior's come from??

Throw in the Murano for the heck of it.
Exactly. I wish Infiniti had more differentiation between their interiors and between Nissan interiors .
Old 03-04-08, 07:34 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GFerg
Though I think the interior of the FX is very nice, why do all new Infiniti's have the same center stack??

Can you even tell which Infiniti model these interior's come from??
Because Nissan/Infiniti loves to reuse parts for all of it's vehicles. I'm pretty sure the same steering wheel was used on like 7 different models. It's not even a nice looking steering wheel either, that stupid T-shaped steering wheel with the thick middle-lower spoke.
Old 03-04-08, 07:36 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Everything but the sidevents looks good to me. The interior looks great like all the current infiniti interiors. Lets see how it does.
Old 03-04-08, 07:40 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Nice interior, plus it should perform well, but exterior is
Old 03-04-08, 08:11 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Every car manufacturer tunes down their engines from maximum output, based on a variety of factors, mainly cost, fuel economy, emissions, and transmission compatibility.

I'm glad they found a way to lose weight on the car
Old 03-04-08, 08:21 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carguy101
Every car manufacturer tunes down their engines from maximum output, based on a variety of factors, mainly cost, fuel economy, emissions, and transmission compatibility.

I'm glad they found a way to lose weight on the car
Right but in the LS Hybrid's case the 5.0L is tuned down more than the average engine in order to extract maximum fuel economy from it and for the engine to integrate smoothly with the hybrid system. The 5.0L in the LS hybrid is definitely tuned down more than this Infiniti 5.0L.

I'm sure you remember all the hype about the Infiniti engine. I won't point any fingers, but certain members (and they know who they are) on CL were boasting that the Infiniti 5.0L would for sure have over 400HP. This happened on other forums as well, I saw enough hype on some Nissan and Infiniti forums where people were saying the new V8 would "definitely have well over 400HP".

So much for that.
Old 03-04-08, 08:22 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I the first gen FX was the best looking SUV to hit the market and the second gen the ugliest!!!
Old 03-04-08, 08:23 PM
LexFather

Guys, guys, 390/400/410, its still going to be a damn good engine. This is a big bump from the current FX 45. Surely the M50 will get this engine too.

I do wonder would it fit in a say a G50 coupe....

Old 03-04-08, 08:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Guys, guys, 390/400/410, its still going to be a damn good engine. This is a big bump from the current FX 45. Surely the M50 will get this engine too.

I do wonder would it fit in a say a G50 coupe....
I'm interested in the power and torque curves of the engine. Like I said earlier, I definitely think it's a competitive engine. As for whether it would fit into a G, that's a good question. I don't know how it compares in terms of physical size to the Lexus 5.0L.
Old 03-04-08, 08:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by skater
Honestly, does it really matter much? They are definately very similar to one another (EX, FX, G37). But if they all look very good, then I don't see what the issue is. I really like their new interiors. Definately a big step up from the past.
So you're saying Infiniti should just stick to the status quo and have all their interiors look the same, and also look similar to Nissan interiors? Sounds like something Acura would do.

Why does it matter? The luxury market is VERY competitive, and it doesn't help if all your interiors look very similar, whether it's a 30K vehicle or a 50K vehicle. That definitely does not help the brand's perception and reputation.

Yes it's a big step up from the old interiors, but that doesn't mean Infiniti should stop their effort and keep things the same. The competition is always trying to gain an upper hand. They've improved over the old interiors fine, but now they need to be making an effort to differentiate the interiors.

There is nothing wrong with family resemblance, as long as there is some differentiation.
Old 03-04-08, 08:38 PM
LexFather

I would rather the interiors look similar and be of the better quality they are now, then look different and be worst in class as before.

The new interiors appeal to me, I can't wait to see the EX/FX interior in person. The G35/37 interior is TONS TONS TONS better than the previous versions and I am sure they will continue to get better.

This company is still learning and evolving and finding itself. I for one think they are at least TRYING to compete, instead of whatever the hell Acura is smoking.

Kudos to Infiniti.

Old 03-04-08, 08:41 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I would rather the interiors look similar and be of the better quality they are now, then look different and be worst in class as before.

The new interiors appeal to me, I can't wait to see the EX/FX interior in person. The G35/37 interior is TONS TONS TONS better than the previous versions and I am sure they will continue to get better.

This company is still learning and evolving and finding itself. I for one think they are at least TRYING to compete, instead of whatever the hell Acura is smoking.

Kudos to Infiniti.
I agree. As long as they keep trying, moving forward and don't become Acura, kudos to Infiniti.
Old 03-04-08, 08:49 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
So you're saying Infiniti should just stick to the status quo and have all their interiors look the same, and also look similar to Nissan interiors? Sounds like something Acura would do.

Why does it matter? The luxury market is VERY competitive, and it doesn't help if all your interiors look very similar, whether it's a 30K vehicle or a 50K vehicle. That definitely does not help the brand's perception and reputation.

Yes it's a big step up from the old interiors, but that doesn't mean Infiniti should stop their effort and keep things the same. The competition is always trying to gain an upper hand. They've improved over the old interiors fine, but now they need to be making an effort to differentiate the interiors.

There is nothing wrong with family resemblance, as long as there is some differentiation.
How are you going to compare the interiors of the new Infiniti's to the new Nissan's? Even with your picture comparison, I just don't see how you can compare them. The only thing they have in common is that center console layout; the details, finish, & quality of the Nissan just doesn't even compare.

I already find the interiors of the new Infiniti's to be much more appealing than those of the current Lexus & BMW interiors. (My dad owns a new GS430; superb car. Interior is great, just feels too "boring" for me).

Ofcourse, this is a subjective topic. And we can go back and forth...

Bottom point is, their new interiors are excellent. I'm sure we can both agree on that.

PS. Interesting. I don't recall deleting my other post

Old 03-04-08, 09:05 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually really like both the exterior and interior, but imo this FX interior actually pales in comparo to the absolutely gorgeous EX interior; seems like they should be swapped or something.
Old 03-04-08, 09:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Hopefully Lexus will redeem themselves with the 4th gen GS . Many people (including myself) are hoping for a big improvement in interior and exterior as well as quality, not to mention some powertrain upgrades given the dissapointment of the GS460 detune. A GS-F would almost make me forget all the problems of the 3GS .
I'm with ya 100% here.

Quick Reply: 2009 Infiniti FX-series Spy Shots