Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Infiniti FX-series Spy Shots

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 09:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

I don't like this interior as much as other Infiniti ones but I like the texture on the seats.

Old 03-05-08, 06:54 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The 5.0L in the LS hybrid is definitely tuned down more than this Infiniti 5.0L.
And you know this how? How do you know what the maximum capacity of either engine (especially the brand new Infiniti V8) is? And tuned down from what? If they wanted to, either Lexus or Infiniti could make a naturally aspirated 500 hp 5.0L V8.

I'm sure you remember all the hype about the Infiniti engine. I won't point any fingers, but certain members (and they know who they are) on CL were boasting that the Infiniti 5.0L would for sure have over 400HP. This happened on other forums as well, I saw enough hype on some Nissan and Infiniti forums where people were saying the new V8 would "definitely have well over 400HP".

So much for that.
Personally, I don't remember the "definitely well over" 400 hp part (but then again I don't read all the posts). I do remember people saying it'll be 5.0L and around 400 hp. And at least 390 hp is pretty close to 400 hp. What I do remember a lot is people proclaiming the GS460 will have 400 hp, and then the 342 hp GS460 coming woefully short.
Old 03-05-08, 07:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carguy101
And you know this how? How do you know what the maximum capacity of either engine (especially the brand new Infiniti V8) is? And tuned down from what? If they wanted to, either Lexus or Infiniti could make a naturally aspirated 500 hp 5.0L V8.

Personally, I don't remember the "definitely well over" 400 hp part (but then again I don't read all the posts). I do remember people saying it'll be 5.0L and around 400 hp. And at least 390 hp is pretty close to 400 hp. What I do remember a lot is people proclaiming the GS460 will have 400 hp, and then the 342 hp GS460 coming woefully short.

Just like I woefully remember people clowing how useless an 8 speed auto is and its over abundant and a 5 speed is fine and now you have a 7 speed?

Like how every year for the past 18 years we heard "the new Q45 will be awesome and kick butt" and its now discontinued??

TRD and Carguy, we are not discussing what people said about these cars beforehand. We are discussing the new FX.

This is my last time saying it. The FX 50 has 390hp, you CANNOT find fault in that. That makes the SC RR Sport look very very slow. The Cayenne S I believe is now outpowered. That is a lot of power.

Old 03-05-08, 07:54 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

It can't be terribly hard of tune a 5.0L engine north of 390hp. I'm sure this new engine has a lot of untapped potential. 390 is what it makes in this car. Who knows what it will make in a different Infiniti.
Old 03-05-08, 08:55 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I knew something wasn't quite right with the new grill, but I couldn't quite figure it out. This picture answers everything. It looks like the grill is comprosed of a bunch of BBQ skewers .

This is definitely a contender for the ugliest production grill on the market today .
Old 03-05-08, 09:00 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really get it...I feel like this FX is a departure from the Infiniti styling theme that is worn on all of their other new cars. The EX, G Sedan, G Coupe, and M all bear the same family resemblance but this just looks completely misplaced. Doesn't have the Infiniti grille or headlights, awkward port holes, and the whole front end looks like a whale shark.

I must say though that the exterior from the A pillar-back, interior, and engines all sound great. Too bad they couldn't fix the front and scratch the port holes.
Old 03-05-08, 09:21 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I don't really get it...I feel like this FX is a departure from the Infiniti styling theme that is worn on all of their other new cars. The EX, G Sedan, G Coupe, and M all bear the same family resemblance but this just looks completely misplaced. Doesn't have the Infiniti grille or headlights, awkward port holes, and the whole front end looks like a whale shark.

I must say though that the exterior from the A pillar-back, interior, and engines all sound great. Too bad they couldn't fix the front and scratch the port holes.
I'm completely puzzled as well. Why not make the grill the same style as the G35/G37? I thought the "sword" grill was going to Infiniti's signature grill? What happened?
Old 03-05-08, 11:11 AM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

QUOTE=Gojirra99;3210549]Oh NO !!!

& I always think the current one looks cool ...[/QUOTE]

Old 03-05-08, 11:11 AM
gs600
Driver School Candidate

Default G50

I guess it wont be long till we see this engine in a G50!
Old 03-05-08, 11:17 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

if they chose the grill from the G and M sedan, it would be the exact same grill as before
Old 03-05-08, 12:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
if they chose the grill from the G and M sedan, it would be the exact same grill as before
No it wouldn't:

1st-gen FX grill:

2nd-gen G35 grill:

2nd-gen FX grill:

I definitely remember Infiniti execs saying that the "japanese sword" grill on the new G35 would be an Infiniti signature.

The new FX grill does not even fit in with the Infiniti lineup. The grill first of all is a different shape than any other Infiniti grill, and it's a different style too with the "BBQ skewer" look.

Is Infiniti going to keep changing grills on every new model?
Old 03-05-08, 12:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't like this interior as much as other Infiniti ones but I like the texture on the seats.

I've been thinking about it and I really don't like the "quilted" look. It makes the leather look worn and wrinkly even though it's not. Just not my thing.
Old 03-05-08, 12:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Another pic:

There is a clash of styling elements going on with the rear hatch. The hatch is supposed to be a sporty sloping design, so why did they stretch it out like that instead of making the metal meet the glass in a slope?

On the 1st gen FX hatch the metal slopes to meet the glass. It looks much more cohesive IMHO.
Old 03-05-08, 01:18 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

hmmm i love infiniti's interior, i just can't stand that lightbulb shaped shifter
Old 03-05-08, 02:16 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Right but in the LS Hybrid's case the 5.0L is tuned down more than the average engine in order to extract maximum fuel economy from it and for the engine to integrate smoothly with the hybrid system. The 5.0L in the LS hybrid is definitely tuned down more than this Infiniti 5.0L.

I'm sure you remember all the hype about the Infiniti engine. I won't point any fingers, but certain members (and they know who they are) on CL were boasting that the Infiniti 5.0L would for sure have over 400HP. This happened on other forums as well, I saw enough hype on some Nissan and Infiniti forums where people were saying the new V8 would "definitely have well over 400HP".

So much for that.
do u really hate nissan/infiniti that much?
every one of ur posts i've read re: anything nissan is negative, maybe overly-critical at best.

while any posts with any negativity regarding toyota/lexus, u beomce the biggest toyota apologist. its hard to take ur posts seriously with all this bias.

nissan is my 2nd fav brand (lexus first of course), dad had an old 2nd gen maxima ago that i vaguely remember.
can't we just hate on acura/honda?

Quick Reply: 2009 Infiniti FX-series Spy Shots