Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota prepping hybrid racer for Le Mans (looks to topple diesel Audi R10)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 08:18 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota prepping hybrid racer for Le Mans (looks to topple diesel Audi R10)

Toyota prepping hybrid racer for Le Mans

Toyota has already proven the capability of its hybrid racing technology, winning the Tokachi 24-Hour Race last year in Japan with its Supra HV-R hybrid race car, so now the carmaker wants to take it up a notch by entering a new green machine in the international Le Mans 24 hour event. According to latest reports Toyota is currently developing a car for the race and is aiming to earn its first victory in the competition with the new car.

Officials want to boost the image of hybrid technology, especially in Europe where it’s still largely considered a gimmick for environmentalists, reports Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun. “Audi proved the superiority of the next generation diesel engine at Le Mans. Toyota wants to do the same with the hybrid,” an unnamed Toyota official told the newspaper. The biggest problem facing Toyota’s engineers is reducing the weight of the drivetrain and increasing efficiency.

Toyota hasn’t competed in the French event since 1999, when its GT1 race car (pictured) came close to coming in second but was forced to retire due to gearbox problems.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/m...r-for-le-mans/
Old 01-21-08, 10:13 AM
LexFather

Very very interesting.

Old 01-21-08, 03:45 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be happy if Toyota just got back into Le Mans
Old 01-22-08, 01:09 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GFerg
Toyota prepping hybrid racer for Le Mans

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/m...r-for-le-mans/
I don't know where motorauthority gets its information from but to clarify, the GT-One actually came in second place overall and first place in its respective class in the 1999 Le Mans.
Old 01-22-08, 01:55 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Audi doesn't win just because it is a diesel. It is an amazing team effort and that car is designed from the ground up for endurance racing. They can change anything in a matter of minutes. I think it has won every race since 2000 execpt one. Granted, that is when many big manufacturers pulled out, e.g. BMW which won in 1999. It would be nice to see some big bucks get back in it and challenge Audi.
Old 01-22-08, 02:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KKelly
Audi doesn't win just because it is a diesel. It is an amazing team effort and that car is designed from the ground up for endurance racing. They can change anything in a matter of minutes. I think it has won every race since 2000 execpt one. Granted, that is when many big manufacturers pulled out, e.g. BMW which won in 1999. It would be nice to see some big bucks get back in it and challenge Audi.
Yeah the R8 and R10 have just been nearly unbeatable. And its AMAZING how whipser quiet they are when they run!!!

Old 01-22-08, 06:18 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

+1

Although, I thought that the new Peugot 908 HDi was giving Audi some competition, but I guess not in 2007.
Old 01-22-08, 08:14 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

You mean the Williams GP Engineering car with the BMW motor?
Old 01-22-08, 08:15 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Would be great to see the SARD Supra HV-R at Lemans. If they decide to put a different body on it that'd be fine too.