Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: How Practical are you?
100% Practical. Such as: "Yup, I drive a Yaris."
1.96%
75% Practical. Such as: "I need a little more, like a Camry."
5.88%
50% Practical. Such as: "I splurged a little and got me an IS"
62.75%
25% Practical. Such as: "I use my SC430 every day."
21.57%
100% Indulgent. Such as: "My Aston Martin is my daily beater."
7.84%
I don't have a car. I ride motorcycles...
0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

How you chose your car: Practicality versus Indulgence...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 07:58 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buford
50%. RWD, 305 BHP, good mpg for the HP. Good looking.
I voted 50% too. Coming from a 2 door hatchback, the 2IS is way more practical. Granted the backseat is kind of tight, but I never sit back there!! For me it's got the right amount of power, halfway decent fuel mileage and easier access to that rear seat.
Old 01-21-08, 08:21 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% practicality here.
Old 01-21-08, 08:27 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You ordered an IS-F without a test-drive...........or are they available now in your area? Here they are not coming till April. I personally would never order a car sight unseen, or without at least a test-drive.
Oh no, I haven't ordered yet at all - the dealer hasn't even called me to schedule the ordering, which isn't supposed to even happen until late February or March. I'm trying to get out to the Las Vegas dealer event next motnh, or hope they schedule some events in the Southwest like Moroso soon!
Old 01-21-08, 08:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
Oh no, I haven't ordered yet at all - the dealer hasn't even called me to schedule the ordering, which isn't supposed to even happen until late February or March. I'm trying to get out to the Las Vegas dealer event next motnh, or hope they schedule some events in the Southwest like Moroso soon!
Not to take this off course but seems the West Coast gets the first round of cars and they will be mostly loaded with sunroofs.

I don't think the IS-F team is aware how incompetant some of their deales are with this cars debut.

As for events, I've heard LA/Chicago/Atlanta/NY....

The car drives like a dream, I'll post my review hopefully tonight.

Old 01-21-08, 10:07 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
My current cars - mostly indulgence, but I am going to get more practical - a sedan
Andrew, you ordered the long version. You are 100% indulgent...
Old 01-22-08, 04:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
I voted 50% since I got AWD for the winter and have fought the urge
to get an RWD V8.

Of course if I were 100% practical I would've gotten a much cheaper car like
a Subaru Outback Wagon. The ultimate Lezmobile
First, the idea of Outbacks as Lezmobiles is nonsense.....stick to facts. You've been reading too many off-the-wall stereotypes. Second, if the snow is not too deep, the lower-cost Impreza Sportwagon or Outback Sport is even MORE practical, money-wise. But they sit lower and cannot tackle snow as deep as a regular Outback or Forester.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-22-08 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-22-08, 06:00 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, the idea of Outbacks as Lezmobiles is nonsense.....stick to facts. You've been reading too many off-the-wall stereotypes.
Opinions are allowed here last time I checked

I have this indelible memory of one Martina Navratilova doing Outback
commercials, not to mention Crocodile Dundee, who we all know is a
huge lesbian...
Old 01-22-08, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Opinions are allowed here last time I checked
Fine. I have no problem with an opinion (I give many of them myself). But please don't state it as fact, because it is just another unfounded automotive stereotype.....just like the nonsense that minivans are just for soccer moms, Buicks and traditional Cadillacs are just for seniors, sports cars are just for young and middle-aged men, VW convertibles are just for young women and gay men, and Hyundais/Kias are just for cheapskates.

-I have this indelible memory of one Martina Navratilova doing Outback
commercials, not to mention Crocodile Dundee, who we all know is a
huge lesbian...
I never was impressed with those Paul Hogan commercials. They portrayed the Outback and Forester as hard-core, off-road Jeeps......which, of course, they are NOT. They are, of course, car-based AWD vehicles, meant for very mild off-roading and bad-weather, on-pavement use. More than one Subaru has been damaged because some naive driver watched those commercials and tried to jump over rocks, cross creek beds, etc..... just like Hogan did on TV. I complained to Subaru about it several times, made a report/complaint to the FTC, and eventually those commercials were pulled and replaced by the more sensible Lance Armstrong ones.
Old 01-22-08, 10:13 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

I splurged a little and got an IS, but that's only after 3 months of research. You should see my folder of car reviews, quotes from dealerships, and specs on each car I looked at.

When I went to the dealership the unlucky SOB that greeted me had a hell of a time trying to BS me on anything.
Old 01-22-08, 10:31 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

I complained to Subaru about it several times, made a report/complaint to the FTC, and eventually those commercials were pulled and replaced by the more sensible Lance Armstrong ones.
That's hardcore Mike.

You definately fall in the Practical category.

And I am also quite happy with the changes that Subaru has done with their marketing. I think they should play the Safety card more often, just like how Volvo uses it to stay afloat in the competitive automotive industry.
Old 01-22-08, 10:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That's hardcore Mike.

You definately fall in the Practical category.

And I am also quite happy with the changes that Subaru has done with their marketing. I think they should play the Safety card more often, just like how Volvo uses it to stay afloat in the competitive automotive industry.
Hardcore but necessary. Subaru was practicing blatent false advertising...and I say that as a Subaru fan myself. Pontiac, to an extent, also did the same thing in commercials with the Montana AWD minivan...remember those? They portrayed it as a cowboy ranch vehicle out in the boonies when it was not...like a Subaru, it was essentially an all-weather hard-pavement vehicle.

And those Montana cowboy ads didn't last very long either.

You are correct that I am basically practical, but I do splurge every now and then....I owned a big Buick luxury car in my youth (so much for Buicks being Granny cars), and bought a brand-new, bright-yellow Lexus IS in 2001.
Old 01-22-08, 11:09 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

wheres the
"Im single but I drive a GS"?
Old 01-22-08, 11:38 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Subaru was practicing blatent false advertising...and I say that as a Subaru fan myself. Pontiac, to an extent, also did the same thing in commercials with the Montana AWD minivan...
Mike, do you remember the Isuzu Gemini commercials?

It may not be false advertising (hell, those cars did what they did), but I doubt that the commercial showed what the cars were intended to do.

For those of you who don't remember (click on picture):

Old 01-22-08, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Mike, do you remember the Isuzu Gemini commercials?

It may not be false advertising (hell, those cars did what they did), but I doubt that the commercial showed what the cars were intended to do.
No, Phil......I honestly don't remember that commercial, but I do recognize the car....that is the old Isuzu I-Mark sedan in the picture, also sold on the same platform as the Chevy Spectrum. And I DO remember the famous Joe Isuzu commercials. The whole intent of the Joe Isuzu ads was to tell blatent, humorous, outrageous, and comical lies.

That old I-Mark, BTW, was not a very well-enginered car. It was true basic transportation in very sense of the word...an unsophisticated drivetrain, chassis, accomodations, and (especially) an unsophisticated suspension. I remember driving one back in the mid-80's......the suspension felt like the shocks were welded on solid.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-22-08 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 12:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

my dad is bout 80% practical, 15% indulgent, and 5% well w/e is left, so for him, his es and rx are just right, me on the other hand, well if i had the moey, a cls550, s600, or ls430 would be my daily driver, so about 50%practical, 45% indulgent, and 5% fun, if thats what you could call it

Quick Reply: How you chose your car: Practicality versus Indulgence...