Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: How Practical are you?
100% Practical. Such as: "Yup, I drive a Yaris."
1.96%
75% Practical. Such as: "I need a little more, like a Camry."
5.88%
50% Practical. Such as: "I splurged a little and got me an IS"
62.75%
25% Practical. Such as: "I use my SC430 every day."
21.57%
100% Indulgent. Such as: "My Aston Martin is my daily beater."
7.84%
I don't have a car. I ride motorcycles...
0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

How you chose your car: Practicality versus Indulgence...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 05:10 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I am usually a practical person until it comes to cars. I'm going on 24 and have had two Soarers, looking at buying a hi-po saloon so I can build my Soarer up before getting married and that whole whizzbang. Indulge while you can!
Old 01-26-08, 02:28 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
How would you rate your most recent car buying purchases?

Would you consider yourself a practical driver, or an over-indulgent one?

How did you go about making your decision?

Discuss...

I would have to break it down to the different cars. I find that if you have more than one vehicle you can satisfy different wants / needs more easily.

When we found out that we were having our first child, the only "nice" car in the household was the 7series (we both have Ford Taurus as daily drivers). My wifes issue with that was I only drove the BMW in nice weather (I could never see the point of taking a perfectly clean car out in the rain, when you have a dirty driver already sittting in the rain!), so we ended up using the Taurus as family transport alot. Anyone that has children knows how quickly a mid size car fills up when you add rear facing baby seat, baby bag, stroller etc etc. The 7series could take all the baby gear and then some with no prob but it wasn't our consistent family car.

We started shopping for a family hauler and we knew from the onset that we wanted a SUV / crossover / etc. The height makes putting a baby in the car so much easier, and you can haul more crap. After trying alot of different cars (Acura MDX, BMW X5, MB ML350 and R350), we ended going with the R-Class, it just satisfied our practical, value, and space needs while also being somewhat indulgent. Its nice enough to use for more formal functions (church, play in manhattan, etc).

Now this left a void because I needed to replace the 7series!! Since we had the R-Class, I saw no reason in getting another large 4door car, so I went totally impractical, totally frivilous and irresposible and got the VIPER. It has NO practical benefit, it needs gas everytime you look at it, and its only space for 2, 100% indulgent. However it satisfied another need, albeit a more selfish, speed addiction need!! lol

I also would like to add a thought, that works for me. I ALWAYS keep a daily beater car (I'm on my 3rd Taurus now). It really makes it easier to get the car you really WANT, rather than trying to make 1 car fulfill 30 different needs. I love having a car that I drive to CVS, and not care where I park. Its also great for longterm parking at the airport, driving in the snow, etc etc. I don't know how you guys spend all this time waxing / modding / loving your car, and then park it in longterm at the airport, or drive it in the snow!! Pick up a cheap, reliable and presentable daily driver, its been my practice for a long time and it works.